GF Grain Reintro

Elizabeth22

Hi everyone! Just looking for some advice regarding my reintroduction. I finished my 2nd round of whole30 last week and am in the process of the reintroduction. I started with legumes and those went ok - didn't notice anything. Today I tried gf grains. I had oatmeal for breakfast and felt fine throughout the day besides the fact that I was hungry sooner than normal. For supper I had some sweet potato chicken curry (which I have been eating throughout the program) and brown rice. Within an hour after eating I had severe diarrhea (sorry if TMI). Can I assume this is from the rice? Before the whole30 I ate rice only occasionally and never noticed any symptoms from eating it. 

• Moderators

Rice can cause stomach issues for some people, and brown rice can be worse than white rice because the process of turning it into white rice removes the bran and germ from the rice, making it easier to digest. If you want to include rice in your food freedom going forward, you could wait a couple of days and reintroduce white rice and see how it affects you.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try gluten-free oatmeal? I know it's weird but even though oatmeal is naturally gluten-free, most oatmeal is cross contaminated with wheat. So it's hard to know if you're then reacting to oatmeal or to wheat. It's possible to find gluten-free oatmeal from Bob's Red Mill and some other sources (natural food stores).

Archived