Detox Rash on second time for Whole30

Hello! I'm Katelynne and I'm 24. I first did Whole30 back in December with my mom and sisters. While they experienced other symptoms (headaches, tiredness, joint pain) I didn't really have any negative side effects. The main reason for me doing Whole30 was to try and lose as much weight before my scheduled tummy tuck procedure in January. With Whole30, I lost 10lbs in a month and totally became hooked! My family and I planned to do Whole30 once every few months to cleanse ourselves and get our systems back on track.

I had my tummy tuck in January, where another 9lbs of skin was removed. I had some bumps in the road, mainly fluid that hasn't fully gone away, and a terrible yeast infection. Because I was on antibiotics, an anti-yeast infection medication and was just mainly eating cereal and crackers during my recovery, I was totally on board with doing Whole30 again with my family and we started two weeks ago. I wanted to clear out my body of any toxins and start spring off with my health on track. 

My surgeon was actually the one that pointed out I had a rash, which appeared about 3-4 days into Whole30. I didn't think much of it at the time, but over the days it got worse. My surgeon and I believed at first the rash was due to the silicone cream I started using on my scars, and I thought it was mainly because it had a metal ball roller on it. But I haven't used the scar cream in a week and the rash has gotten worse. What started out as a small rash around my scars (lower abdomen) has moved up on my abdomen and is also now on mu back and upper thighs. I took Benadryl and Cortizone several times and the rash has not gone away. The rash is a series of smallish light red dots (some bigger then others) and does NOT really itch unless I touch it.

I only just heard of detox rashes--could this be it? I like being on Whole30 but I just don't know if I should stop and wait a few more months until my body has fully healed from my surgery, and when I know for sure all my medications are completely out of my system. This scar is going on for 2 weeks and is only getting worse with all my efforts, except going off Whole30. Also does anyone have any tips to help get rid of the rash?

Thanks for all of your time and help! I appreciate it greatly!

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Katelynne said:

Hello! I'm Katelynne and I'm 24. I first did Whole30 back in December with my mom and sisters. While they experienced other symptoms (headaches, tiredness, joint pain) I didn't really have any negative side effects. The main reason for me doing Whole30 was to try and lose as much weight before my scheduled tummy tuck procedure in January. With Whole30, I lost 10lbs in a month and totally became hooked! My family and I planned to do Whole30 once every few months to cleanse ourselves and get our systems back on track.

I had my tummy tuck in January, where another 9lbs of skin was removed. I had some bumps in the road, mainly fluid that hasn't fully gone away, and a terrible yeast infection. Because I was on antibiotics, an anti-yeast infection medication and was just mainly eating cereal and crackers during my recovery, I was totally on board with doing Whole30 again with my family and we started two weeks ago. I wanted to clear out my body of any toxins and start spring off with my health on track. 

My surgeon was actually the one that pointed out I had a rash, which appeared about 3-4 days into Whole30. I didn't think much of it at the time, but over the days it got worse. My surgeon and I believed at first the rash was due to the silicone cream I started using on my scars, and I thought it was mainly because it had a metal ball roller on it. But I haven't used the scar cream in a week and the rash has gotten worse. What started out as a small rash around my scars (lower abdomen) has moved up on my abdomen and is also now on mu back and upper thighs. I took Benadryl and Cortizone several times and the rash has not gone away. The rash is a series of smallish light red dots (some bigger then others) and does NOT really itch unless I touch it.

I only just heard of detox rashes--could this be it? I like being on Whole30 but I just don't know if I should stop and wait a few more months until my body has fully healed from my surgery, and when I know for sure all my medications are completely out of my system. This scar is going on for 2 weeks and is only getting worse with all my efforts, except going off Whole30. Also does anyone have any tips to help get rid of the rash?

Thanks for all of your time and help! I appreciate it greatly!

Sorry this is happening!

May I ask why you feel that going off Whole30 is going to make the rash go away? Is there something you're eating a lot of now that you don't when you're off Whole30 that you can try and cut back on?

Hello!

As I stated before in the original post, I discovered something called detox rashes. They occur on your skin when you do any form of dieting detox. At this point, I can't see what else this rash could be other then that. I haven't put anything on my abdomen in over a week, except Cortizone and that didn't help. I'm using the same laundry detergent, soaps, shampoos/conditioners and lotions as I always have with no reactions. I am eating the same things this time around on Whole30 as I did the first time around. The only difference this time around is that I'm 2 months post-op of surgery where I had not smooth sailings in my recovery. I'm wondering if the detox rash is happening this time around because I was on so many medications for several weeks. I'm wondering if I should be off of Whole30 and wait a few more months until my body is more healed before doing Whole30 again, hopefully without the scary looking rash on my body.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Katelynne said:

Hello!

As I stated before in the original post, I discovered something called detox rashes. They occur on your skin when you do any form of dieting detox. At this point, I can't see what else this rash could be other then that. I haven't put anything on my abdomen in over a week, except Cortizone and that didn't help. I'm using the same laundry detergent, soaps, shampoos/conditioners and lotions as I always have with no reactions. I am eating the same things this time around on Whole30 as I did the first time around. The only difference this time around is that I'm 2 months post-op of surgery where I had not smooth sailings in my recovery. I'm wondering if the detox rash is happening this time around because I was on so many medications for several weeks. I'm wondering if I should be off of Whole30 and wait a few more months until my body is more healed before doing Whole30 again, hopefully without the scary looking rash on my body.

If you did a Whole30 in December and you didn't go completely wild between January and March, it's doubtful that the detox rash would be from what you're eating if it is indeed a detox rash.  From your original post it sounds like you were eating a lot of cereal and crackers but unless you were also drinking, pounding down the sugar and dairy and soy and tons of processed foods that had preservatives, I doubt that's what it is (all prefaced with, I'm not a doctor, can't diagnose on internet etc).

You could definitely stop doing Whole30 until you felt better - especially if this is causing you undue stress when you're trying to heal.  It's possible that you had a small allergic reaction on your scar to the cream or something and it's just spread and gotten worse because of the antibiotics and creams etc... that you've been using.

If the detox reaction is because of the meds then I don't know what good stopping eating whole foods in the form of veggies, healthy fat and protein would do... Ultimately its your choice and I know it's frustrating but not everything comes down to food so even if you stop eating this way, you could still be in this situation.

Archived