anything on this list:

AlfieMani

Glycerin, hydroxyethyl cellulose, gluconolactone, chlorhexidine digluconate, methylparaben, sodium hydroxide?  I may have inadvertently ingested these (I was not using it as a sweetener or even as a food source). I did a quick search of the forum and found some mixed information on these and with the evolving rules I'm not sure if any of these are banned.  I found some similar sounding things but I don't know how close they actually are to the things on this list as I'm not a chemist.  I don't think I ingested enough of it to make a difference so I don't plan on starting over but if anything I want to know if this needs to be avoided in the future or if this is acceptable as it may impact future life choices.  If it helps I don't feel any different after ingesting these nor has it helped my ongoing symptoms or caused new ones.  Any advice about the above ingredients is appreciated!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, AlfieMani said:

Glycerin, hydroxyethyl cellulose, gluconolactone, chlorhexidine digluconate, methylparaben, sodium hydroxide?  I may have inadvertently ingested these (I was not using it as a sweetener or even as a food source). I did a quick search of the forum and found some mixed information on these and with the evolving rules I'm not sure if any of these are banned.  I found some similar sounding things but I don't know how close they actually are to the things on this list as I'm not a chemist.  I don't think I ingested enough of it to make a difference so I don't plan on starting over but if anything I want to know if this needs to be avoided in the future or if this is acceptable as it may impact future life choices.  If it helps I don't feel any different after ingesting these nor has it helped my ongoing symptoms or caused new ones.  Any advice about the above ingredients is appreciated!

None of us are chemists either so the best way to find out is to google what these are and if they're not dairy, grains, sulphites, sneaky sugars then they're probably fine.  Glycerin is a sugar.

Not sure at all what you mean by the 'evolving rules'.  The rules are the rules and the last time they 'evolved' was three years ago to allow white potato.

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

None of us are chemists either so the best way to find out is to google what these are and if they're not dairy, grains, sulphites, sneaky sugars then they're probably fine.  Glycerin is a sugar.

Not sure at all what you mean by the 'evolving rules'.  The rules are the rules and the last time they 'evolved' was three years ago to allow white potato.

Thanks for replying OD!  Hmm that's weird because the Wiki seems to suggest it's related to fats as its chemical composition is that of lipids (triglycerides): "Glycerol (/ˈɡlɪsərɒl/;[4] also called glycerine or glycerin; see spelling differences) is a simple polyol compound. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is sweet-tasting and non-toxic. The glycerol backbone is found in all lipids known as triglycerides."  That's why I wanted clarification.  

Maybe "evolving" wasn't the right term.  I guess I mean more inconsistent as the rules seem to vary and are arbitrary and enforcement is dependent upon who you ask. I found conflicting information even within this forum as another post said that glycerin was ok? 

Robin Strathdee (Director of communications) stated it was ok if it was not used as a sweetener?  "You're good to go with that one! Glycerin is totally fine on your W30 as long as you aren't drinking it to curb your sweet cravings ;0) If you find that it's a trigger for you after all, then you can always remove it, but I find that a bit unlikely in the quantities you'll be using."  I definitely was not using it even as a food source much less a sweetener.  Happened to go in my mouth and likely swallowed some (There was a lot going on at the time and W30 definitely was not on my mind when it happened).  In any case is it safe to assume that this answer (glycerin is taboo) is the most current and correct answer for the time being?  

Assuming this is true it doesn't sound like it's a big deal anyway even if I inadvertently ate some: 

Per missmary (Moderator): "We don't typically require a restart for accidental sugar ingestion--sugar isn't one of the gut disruptors that require 30 days to heal--so I would just put the supplement away until after your whole30."

I suppose I'll look for a similar product without glycerin if I can find one but it won't be a high priority as it isn't being used as a food source and it isn't going to do much even if it was.

If anyone has any other information on the other ingredients (hydroxyethyl cellulose, gluconolactone, chlorhexidine digluconate, methylparaben, sodium hydroxide) I would appreciate it if I can be directed to a definitive answer as I haven't seen any posts or information specific to these items.

4 hours ago, kirkor said:

Googling that list of ingredients yields some interesting results! Ummmmm I think you'll be fine. B)

Haha yeah. Thanks for the response!  On a side note W30 does work as an effective dating strategy but it seems to mess with body functions and we needed to use that product.  She's never had to use that before so not sure what happened.

Archived