Day 31- no weight loss- I need encouragement

Candida

I was 100% compliant throughout my 30 days on whole 30. I feel great; I feel like I’ve accomplished a great deal. I have a lot of NSVs.  I know this is not a diet or a weight-loss program. I’ve gone through the forum and everyone has lost weight!. I’m not complaining (I am) as I was doing so well but now I am really upset. Clearly I was eating too much for 30 days. After a 30 day high, I am now discouraged. It appears in the forum that no one has any problems. Is it just me?

• Moderators

There are lots of posts from people who haven't lost weight. If you google Whole30 forum no weight loss, you should find past discussions, if you really want to read them, although I think a better use of your time would be to focus on the things that have improved, and maybe talk about why weight loss may not have happened for you.

I doubt seriously you were eating too much. It's just not likely to have happened. The amount of food you're asked to eat using the meal template is the minimum amount an adult human should be eating to maintain energy and health. Further, whole foods tend to trigger your body's natural satiety signals as you're eating, so as you get used to eating this way, your body will begin to let you know when it's hungry and when it's satisfied. If you have spent a lifetime overriding those signals -- either by limiting your intake as some very low calorie diets have you do, or by eating well beyond feelings of fullness -- you may take a little longer to recognize those signals.

One thing that does happen to some people is that they have spent a lot of time counting calories or carbs or fat grams, and limiting their intake, overriding the signals their body sends, and when they start Whole30 and suddenly their body is actually getting the amount of food it really needs, it holds on to everything for a while, sort of a feast or famine response. This will sort itself out over time as you continue to eat this way and your body gets used to getting this amount of food all the time.

Another thing that sometimes happens is that people come in thinking they need to lose weight, but in reality, they are at a weight that is good for them, and their body just doesn't do what they want it to do. If you're at a point where you have 5-10 lbs you want to lose, this might be you -- what you're probably wanting is more to look trim and toned, and that has less to do with the number on the scale and more on what kinds of exercise you are doing. 

I would strongly encourage you to make a list of all the positive things you have noticed over the past 30 days. Everything. You can download a handy Non Scale Victory Checklist here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ 

If you want feedback on what you've been doing, tell us more. Tell us what a typical day or two of meals looks like for you, including approximate portion sizes, water intake, exercise, and sleep. Tell us anything you think might be making a difference. For your own purposes, some things to think about that you don't have to share if you don't want to, think about any pre-existing medical conditions you might have that might be affecting your weight loss, or any medications you might be taking that might affect things, or even if you've been under more stress than usual lately -- stress could be a huge factor in weight loss or gain.

Thank you Shannon! This is very helpful- it did not occur to me to google “ no weight loss”.  I have been under a huge amount of stress- I have to close my business etc etc so Whole 30 has helped me through this very difficult time in my life. I take no medication so I think I need to examine what I have been eating: the portion sizes in particular.  Given my business and time constraints I have trouble eating lunch on time so I get hungry( carrying my salad and dressing around) I eat nuts and dried fruit while driving or while preparing dinner. That needs to be curtailed.  I am a cook so that part is relatively easy for me. But this extraordinary stress I am under makes everything more difficult. I was crushed yesterday. Someone suggested to me today that the no weight loss shock was probably the last straw, and I had a melt down. I will re read your reply. I am reading “ Food freedom forever” which arrived 5 days ago. This program has been a Godsend.  I need to figure out a very slow reintroduction. But right now, I think I’ll stick with 98% of the rules except for half and half in coffee!  Candida

Archived