I have a wedding to attend. What do I do?

We have a wedding to attend this weekend. Of course at a wedding, there will be food and likely lots of it. I am currently on Day 9 of Whole 30. When the wedding rolls around this weekend, it'll be Day 14. Obviously i'll skip the dessert area. BUT since we are traveling out of town for the wedding.....and I have no clue what the menu is going to be and I'm positive none of it will be Whole 30 approved. Me and my Fiance are doing Whole 30 together so I do have support there with me. But do we just sit there and watch everyone eat? I would feel so strange rolling up to the wedding with a packed dinner, haha. 

WE sorta failed to take the wedding into account when we started this, otherwise we likely would have scheduled it away from that. But to be honest, there is something like this that always happens in our lives! I just wanted an opinion from anyone who has faced challenges like this. THANK YOU

At many weddings I've been to there's been a gap between the ceremony and the reception, when the wedding party takes pictures, etc.

Are you in a town big enough to have a Whole Foods or Sprouts?  They should have a 'naked' or 'unseasoned' version of their rotisserie chicken that would be compliant, so it's worth checking out.

Are you flying in or driving in?  Are you spending the night?  This affects what you can bring, cook, etc.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KTFleming said:

We have a wedding to attend this weekend. Of course at a wedding, there will be food and likely lots of it. I am currently on Day 9 of Whole 30. When the wedding rolls around this weekend, it'll be Day 14. Obviously i'll skip the dessert area. BUT since we are traveling out of town for the wedding.....and I have no clue what the menu is going to be and I'm positive none of it will be Whole 30 approved. Me and my Fiance are doing Whole 30 together so I do have support there with me. But do we just sit there and watch everyone eat? I would feel so strange rolling up to the wedding with a packed dinner, haha. 

WE sorta failed to take the wedding into account when we started this, otherwise we likely would have scheduled it away from that. But to be honest, there is something like this that always happens in our lives! I just wanted an opinion from anyone who has faced challenges like this. THANK YOU

Have you tried asking the wedding planner or bride/groom what they're doing for people with eating challenges? While you may be the only ones doing a Whole30, based on the facts in this day and age, you cannot possibly be the only people attending that don't have some sort of dietary restriction.  It might be a bit late to check now, but you could try - maybe the caterers can leave some salad undressed and bring a few portions of steamed chicken or fish?  It may not be the best meal you've ever eaten but you're there for the celebration, not to eat the best meal on the planet.  

and if that doesnt work, then definitely @kirkor's idea of trying to find something to buy on the day of or before.  If it's buffet, no one will even notice and if it's a seated/served dinner and you do find a protein to bring, just discreetly make room on your plate... and you have eachother so you can create a distraction/diversion so no one notices ;)

15 hours ago, kirkor said:

At many weddings I've been to there's been a gap between the ceremony and the reception, when the wedding party takes pictures, etc.

Are you in a town big enough to have a Whole Foods or Sprouts?  They should have a 'naked' or 'unseasoned' version of their rotisserie chicken that would be compliant, so it's worth checking out.

Are you flying in or driving in?  Are you spending the night?  This affects what you can bring, cook, etc.

We are going to a town close to DC that may have options surrounding it. We may stop somewhere before the reception and chow down haha. I personally, do not feel comfortable rolling up with my own food. But I am certain no one would actually care in the end. The meal is a buffet. So we can choose but who knows how it is prepared! We will chat with the caterers to see if there are options. Thank you for your thoughts. We will do our best to power through this! 

Archived