Turnips and parsnips!

Sharon Simpson Thumann

I bought some today and promised the hubs that I would find a way to make them delicious so that he would try them. I need help! HELP!

As a child I had turnips but never parsnips and since being married I sorta got away from cooking items that only one of us would enjoy. I told the hubs that beginning the new year we would (meaning him mainly) would have to start trying new veg other than our standard greens (any kind), carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, green beans and the occasional butternut squash.

So please, help me.. help him expand his culinary tastes!

Parsnips can be treated like carrots. I saw a fabulous looking recipe for cumin roasted carrots that would work for parsnips. I forget where I saw it. I'm so helpful. Roasted turnip sticks with spicy stuff on them are delish. Slice them up, coat with fat of your choice, sprinkle with salt, pepper and other fun things. Roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees or so. I love them deeply. :)

I think the cumin carrots are on Theclothesmakethegirl and I use carrots and parsnips (usually) when I make this.

I used parsnips and carrots with cauliflower last time I made mashed cauliflower, and I didn't like it so much. I'm not sure why as I really like parsnips.

I also use parsnips and turnip in pot roasts.

I don't think I use turnip for much else, come to think of it. I might try the roasted turnip sticks though!

Mashed carrots & parsnips (together) is yummy, with lashings of ghee & black pepper.

I liked parsnips roasted too, throw them around your roasting chicken.

lol Derval--every time I read you lashing with ghee i see you in black leather with a cat'O 9 made of ghee!

I love parsnips roasted with chicken and there is autumn stew on foodee with parsnips. it isn't Whole 30 as written--it has white potatoes in it, but i sub out butternut squash for the potatoes, soooo good!

Turnip fries! Julienne them into fairly equal size strips, a la French fries, toss with evoo and spices- I use salt & pepper, add garlic, cumin, cayenne....whatever you are in the mood for! Roast at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes- watch them closely and toss/ flip at least once . Delicious with an avocado burger (no bun of course!).

Turnip fries! Julienne them into fairly equal size strips, a la French fries, toss with evoo and spices- I use salt & pepper, add garlic, cumin, cayenne....whatever you are in the mood for! Roast at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes- watch them closely and toss/ flip at least once . Delicious with an avocado burger (no bun of course!).

Tried this for dinner tonight with fish. GORGEOUS, thank you! And I don't even like parsnips! :D

I loved to do a roasted root vegetables. Usually I throw in turnip, rutabega, parsnip, sweet potato. Cut them to about the same size.... usually about 1/2 to 3/4 inch dice and toss in salt and pepper and oil of choice. Sometimes I add my husband favorites spices, cumin and paprika. Roast til they are tender, which is usually 30-40 min.

I too love roasted root veggies. I usually put EVOO and some balsamic vinegar and pepper on them before roasting.

My favorite turnip dish is mashed turnip and carrot, and you can sub rutabaga for the turnip and parsnip for the carrot. I just cut into chunks, boil, and mash with (compliant) butter and salt and pepper. YUM.

I made turnips a couple of months ago (oven roasted) and they were so bitter that I threw them out. Haven't gone near them since. Am afraid even to try turnip greens, which looked beautiful in the grocery store today.

Is there something I need to do to turnips before cooking to keep them from becoming bitter?

I love root vegetables in general. I know I've had success with rutabagas (which I thought were waxed turnips).

The ones I made that were bitter were white with some purple on the skin. Fresh, not waxed.

Archived