Whole30, Round 3 - No weight loss

BLV

Here’s the deal, I’m near the end of my third Whole30 and I haven’t lost more than a pound this month. What am I doing wrong? 

I follow the BBG program - 6 days of 30 minute workouts, one day of rest. 3 days are dedicated to strength training & 3 days are dedicated to running.

My meals looks like this:

B1: 1 egg, 1/2 c. chopped potatoes, hot sauce

L1: 1 Salmon Patty, 2c. Lettuce w/ tbsp Tessemae zesty ranch dressing

D1: 4 oz Pork Chop, 2c. Lettuce w/ tbsp tessemae zesty ranch

B2: 1 egg, 1/2 c. chopped potatoes, sauerkraut, hot sauce

L2: 3 oz Cod, 8 spears asparagus

D2: 4 oz Chicken Breast, 2c. Lettuce w/ tbsp tessemae zesty ranch

B3: 1 egg, 1/2 c. chopped potatoes, hot sauce

L3: 3oz Shredded beef, Pineapple

D3: Turkey Keibasa, 2 c. Lettuce w/ tbsp tessemae zesty ranch

what am I doing wrong? How can I improve? If I can’t lose weight on the Whole30 how am I ever supposed to lose 50lbs! 

• Moderators

This is going to sound crazy maybe but you're not eating enough.  When we calorie restrict, our bodies go into 'famine' mode and they hold on to everything that you put in.

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping - for most people that starts at 3-4.  If you don't want to eat that many eggs, then we recommend 2-3 eggs and a bit of last nights dinner protein.

Your breakfasts, L2, and L3 have no fat, L3 has no veggies.  When salad greens are your veggie, you really need a truckload to get a good amount once they're chewed down.  8 asparagus spears isn't enough - we want you eating 2-3 cups of veggies at every meal.

How does 3oz of cod match to the size of your own palm?  3oz is 3 small shot glasses so that's a really small amount of food.

It also appears that you're working out 6 days a week but you don't list any pre or post workout meals?

Thanks for the response! My understanding is that 3 oz is about the size of a deck of cards? Maybe that’s my problem? 

Other than Avacado, what are some good recommended “healthy fats” we can include in lunches? I struggle with the healthy fats....and apparently a variety of veggies. I’ll have to start adding more veggies into our meals for lunch and dinner.

I workout after work, but right before dinner. I don’t like to eat before my workouts as they involve a lot of jumping or running. Not sure if I really do need a pre-workout snack? 

I know nothing....but this is helping! 

• Moderators

A deck of cards is not a personalized metric for how to measure protein for your specific body - that's why we recommend 1-2 palm sized servings of protein... Have you seen the meal template?  If not, google 'whole30 meal template' and take some time to read through it.

Healthy fats: mayo, pesto, avocado, coconut, coconut products, ghee, lard, tallow, bacon (occassionally), nuts/nutbutters (occassionally - like a closed handful every other day at most), fattier cuts of meat, sundried tomato in olive oil, dressings, mayo based sauces, tahini... 

As far as working out right before dinner, I'm not sure what that timing looks like but you should really be trying to get at least a few bites of protein in after your workout and then eat your meal.  Post workout food is bonus food to replace the fuel you've lost by doing the workout so you're cheating yourself and your recovery by skipping right to dinner. We recommend post workout to be lean protein, no fat and starchy carb if you like.  Most people do a few bites of chicken breast and a few bites of sweet potato... you can eat it in the car on the way from the gym to home :)

There is TONS of info available here for free... try going through the rules and recommendations and the meal template - you don't have to know nothing - you could become a Whole30 expert in no time which really only benefits you in the long run!

Lastly, while you're figuring out your meals, don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.  An apple sliced onto salad or pork chop or some raisins in a stew is great but fruit shouldn't be the star of the show over veggies.

Archived