Should I trust my body?

Michelle12

I am 42 and have 11 children -- ages 20 to 7 months. I used to be super athletic and active, but after about baby #7 there just wasn't time anymore. I've always tried to be healthy (whole grains, fruits and veggies, etc.) but I've always liked sugar and I've never been much of a meat eater. I sort of fell into Whole30. I had never heard of it but I saw a friend who looked FABULOUS and she told me she was doing Whole30. I have been having a harder and harder time losing baby weight with each baby so I looked it up, read a bit, and just went ahead and started. I'm on day three and I actually haven't been struggling much at all with sugar cravings or anything like that, but physically I feel terrible (yucky protein gut, bad neck and head ache, NO energy -- takes immense effort to do anything, fuzzy brain, poorer sleep than normal, etc.) It's really really hard to keep up with all the kids and homeschooling when I feel so bad. 

I don't want to quit because I'm liking having a strict set of guidelines that are relatively easy to follow -- even for a super busy mom. But I'm wondering if a protein heavy diet with no good grains is good for me.
So here is my question -- every time I have heard of any cleanse or anything like that they warn you about the initial sick (detox) phase and say that it is your body rebooting or cleaning out. So is that the case with this? But what I don't understand is that after the 30 days you are supposed to use your body and how you feel as the indicator to know what foods are good for you or bad for you. I'm wondering if it is just that any dietary change causes a bit of upheaval and your body has an adjustment period to relearn how to digest the new foods. Why should I trust my body to tell me the food I'm eating then isn't good for me if I'm not trusting my body now? Does that make sense?

Hi, Michelle.  I'm on day 29 of my first Whole30.  What I'm going to recommend, if at all possible, is that you read the Whole30 book.  It is very likely they have it at your library so you can do it for free.  I found it sooooo helpful (maybe I'm just a book person) but I don't think I could have pulled this off with just the website (though it's very good, it just doesn't walk you through it like the book).  There is a great list of the "what to expect" and that is repeated on the website somewhere (I will find it and post it for you) that is helpful (and yes, it is normal to feel blah for a while at the beginning - I don't think of it as detoxing but I guess in the truest sense it is - your body is saying "hey, where's the stuff I'm used to getting and fueling myself on?" and it takes a little while for it to learn to fuel itself on other things (including any fun fat you might be carrying around ;)).  

This is actually the first "diet" I've ever done - not because I didn't need one, but I just couldn't get my head around other ones.  It took about 10 days to really get into a rhythm, but now I'm almost done and I'm not even excited about Day 31 because I don't really plan to do much different because of what's happening with my body and brain on this thing.  It's all good.

Hang in there and I hope you are able to find the book so you can get more info.  I'll post the timeline link in a sec!  Here it is https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Hi guys!  Oh my gosh congratulations EllieHH on finishing your first Whole30!  Today is your last day!  How are you feeling?  Also Michelle, how's it going for you?  I'm on day 2 of my first Whole30 and loving it!  I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase, though.  Any advice for me about the Whole30 way of life?  Biggest lessons learned for both of you so far?

Thank you EllieHH! I'm doing quite a bit better today (day 3) Still just feeling from the protein gut. But definitely feeling less fatigued than yesterday and the headache is not as bad. I'm not hungry at all! But I'm still eating because I'll run out of energy big time if I don't. I'm really enjoying it over all. LOVE all the veggies! And I'm not feeling cravings much at all -- which is a HUGE blessing!

Archived