Hey y'all!  How's it going for all of you?  I'm on my second day of my first Whole30 and I am loving it so far!  I think I must still be in the honeymoon phase because I'm finding it very easy to say no to sugary, bready, cheesy things and I don't have any cravings.  Has anyone else had this same experience?  I'm guessing it'll get harder soon.  Anyway: during the thirty days, my friend's birthday is happening in a week and we're all going out to eat at a hibachi restaurant called Sumo in Ithaca, NY.  Check out the menu here: http://www.ithacasumo.com/

Also Easter is tomorrow and my grandma sent cookies for the whole family, which I don't have any problem resisting (at least for now, we'll see how hard it is tomorrow) and I'm the only one in my family doing the Whole30 and I don't want my parents to judge me or get worried that I'm "dieting" or trying to lose weight.  I'm not.  I simply want to feel better and have more energy.  Also my mom's birthday is in a few weeks.  And I'm taking a road trip next weekend.

So any advice for eating out at a hibachi restaurant (does anything on the menu look Whole30-compliant, or should I bring my own food but then have to explain it to them?), road tripping while on the Whole30, and dealing with holidays/birthdays?  I really don't think that resisting the food will be a problem because I'm very committed, but how do you deal with defying social norms and not eating cake around family and friends on special occasions?

• Moderators

If you can order items just plain with no sauce to put on the grill then that should work. It looks like they have sashimi too so that's just plain fish... google 'whole30 guide to dining out' to see our recommendations for what questions to ask.  You can also google 'whole30 hibachi' and you should get some previous forum threads as we've had this come up in the past.

As far as not eating cake, the advice differs depending on how open and carefree your friends/family are.  You could tell them about Whole30 ahead of time so that they know what's going on, or at the time you could just say you're avoiding certain foods in order to add them back in later and see if they bother you... you can google 'whole30 how to talk to friends and family' and an article by melissa should come up.  Sorry for all the 'google this' advice, I can't link on this device :)

• 2 weeks later...

We went to a brunch buffet for Easter and, aside from fruit, there was nothing I could eat (it'd be different if I ate eggs) - so I had eaten a little before going then had an rxbar there. Just ordered an unsweet tea there. I actually got to spend more time talking to my family because I wasn't all focused on food. The server didn't seem to mind that I brought my own food. 

Archived