Excited to start April 3 2018

Linda Templeton

Hi, I'm  Linda, I've started reading about Whole 30 yesterday although I've been eating a modified Paleo diet for a while now. I have not managed to get my indigestion issues under control so I am committing to Whole 30. I have this long weekend to prepare and plan and will start Tuesday morning. I know I can do this but I'm hoping for support and encouragement from this forum. I've not participated in forums before so please forgive me if I make mistakes.  

Hi Linda, I'm with you on starting for April 3rd! I'd be happy to encourage and go through this with you and I'm new to forums as well. This will be kind of my second time around. 20 days into my first Whole 30 I started having some pretty bad digestion issues-will leave it at that, no details needed. : ) Because of the Whole 30 I learned white potatoes (other nightshades just fine) hurt my stomach and I can't tolerate large amounts of them at all! Thank you Whole 30! I took them off the menu and was fine. I always thought my stomach hurt after eating potatoes because they were junk food in the form of French fries or a bag of potato chips. This was the type of information I was looking for with the Whole 30. Unfortunately the adding foods back in didn't go well-my fault planning so close to vacation. So my husband and I loved the results we had before and are ready to reset our system post vacation and do better "off roading" as they say this time around. Honestly I didn't think my husband would do it or feel any differently (doing to support me with my food issues/allergies) but he was as astonished as me that he felt so much better too! 

Hi Txgrlatlrg, nice to  meet you and I would love to buddy-up for some mutual encouragement. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for you to have to stop 20 days in to your last Whole30! I'm hoping though, that you've learned tricks and tips that will help you to make it all the way this time. I also have had digestive issues and am really hoping that through doing Whole30 and learning to listen to my gut, I might just put those behind me.  My husband is more skeptical and although he enjoys the lunches and dinners I make, I just know he is eating bad things at work but if he sees this working for me, I'm hoping he will join me. So, day one is going well, I've just enjoyed a salmon protien salad for lunch and have got my menu for the next week all planned. I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble adjusting but I have to admit, when someone walked past me this morning with an iced coffee I did , just for a second, think mmmmmmm.  Hope your day is going well too. Let's chat soon. 

Hi everyone! I am also starting today (April 3) and wanted to chime in with support! It seems like a lot of people in this forum started April 1 or 2, but for me, April 2 was a travel day - and despite the fact that it's possible to do a Whole30 while traveling (or so I've heard) I know that I won't be successful if I'm not prepping for the week in my own kitchen. This will be my fourth Whole30 - I try to do one every year, and I always know that I'm due for a change when my snacking habits spiral out of control and I start to feel terrible all the time. 

How is Day 1 going for everyone so far? 

Day 1 went really well for me. I managed to stick to plan quite happily until my husband threw a hissy fit about the lack of snacks in my immediate future. I think he was just feeling guilty because I know he is not sticking to the plan. me.  I wanted to just hug him till he turned blue ( is this the Kill Everthing stage already???). But I'm happy that I stuck to my plan. 

Day 2 is going well. Went out for a coffe with friends and was surprised how easy it was. I had to change what i usually order but the good news is that I've discovered a whole new rage of tea that I didn't know and they are delicious! I'm pleased that I'm not experiencing any of the hangover type symptoms that the book predicted but now that I've said that, it will probably hit tomorrow.  Stay motivated everyone. 

Day 1 went really well for me, lunch was ordered out at work but I was able to find great options. Day 2 is going well so far, I woke up more energized than usual which was a huge motivator for me in doing this so I'm really happy about that.

Hello-

I also started for my very first time on the 3rd. I was traveling so Tuesday was a better fit to meal prep and plan. I made the chicken curry last night..it was so tasty I'm super excited to try more of the recipes in the book! Today my head is foggy..but I'm thankful I don't have a terrible headache. Me and sugar are like peas and carrots I was sure I would have other withdrawal symptoms by now.

Day 3. I had roast potatoes last night!!! They were just orgasmic! And completely on plan.  I LOVE Whole30.  Potatoes are my absolute favorite food and then........I got to have leftovers for breakfast this morning.  Today is my day off so my dog and I have just been for a long  use walk which was lovely! Tonight it's braised lamb with Kumara (What you Americans  call sweet potato) and Greek salad. The Green Cabbage Slaw from last night was a big hit with my husband who packed up all the leftovers for his lunch today.  Have a good one all. We got this! 

Hello everyone! Day 3! I've been battling headaches-probably just sinuses with the spring not spring weather we're having where I live. I feel ok otherwise. 

My husband made dinner last night-Skillet Beef I think- from the Whole 30 book. I got ground pork out instead of ground beef and it was awesome! Seemed easy to make but I guess it always is when someone else cooks. : ) Glad to know the Green Cabbage Slaw is good, I'll add that for tomorrow. Hang in there folks!

Hi Everyone! Day 4 in the bag! How's everyone doing? Frankly weekends are hardest for me-traditionally a snack on junk and order out time. But I'm well stocked-just hoping the motivation stays there. Is anyone else starting to get more energy? It seems early to be looking forward to that but I'll take it! 

Enjoy your weekend wherever you are-I may be in 3-4 inches of snow before it's over. Crazy weather! As Linda says, "We got this!"

Weekends are tough for me too! It's my cheat time usually...chips and dip often feature in any or all weekend evenings. This weekend we have been invited to a friends for dinner. I'm going to phone and explain my situation and just tell her that I will bring my own. I don't think she will mind, after all, it's the chance to catch up that's the focus.  Might even offer to cook for them. So I am now on day 5 and so far have had no real problems but then I am following the 1 week food plan in the book so it's been easy. Next week might be harder. Has anyone opted for the app that does all the planning for you? I'm tempted but would love to know what you all think. 

Hi everyone,

weekends are also difficult for me but so far so good and tomorrow I’m busy all day so that will help. My headaches have been coming in waves but so far today I’ve been fine. 

Linda, I think that’s a great plan and you could ask what they will be serving too so you could decide based on their menu. I don’t have the app but have been curious about it too.

txgirl, I do have more energy so I’m hoping it lasts!

I did check on their menu and most of it is fine, roast lamb, roasted verges, all on plan. I suggested that I bring a salad so I'll make the Greek salad I think, it's really delicious. I know they will be drinking wine but I'm perfectly ok with some sparking water in my wine glass. I'm really looking forward to spending time with good friends. I know it will be tougher to say no to her fabulous desserts but thankfully I've never had much of a sweet tooth. Maybe I'll just have extra roast potatoes .

Tiffanyts, are you drinking enough water? Maybe it's a silly question but headaches are a sign of dehydration and even if you are not dehydrated, drinking lots of water will help flush out all those toxins from your system. Just a thought. I'm proud of how well we are doing and I really look forward to these messages . You make my day people, I hope you are feeling encouraged too. 

Hi everyone,

We’re a week in! Yay! How is everyone feeling? I’m doing much better. No headache since Saturday and I have more energy. We had lunch at work again today but I found great whole 30 options so I was still able to enjoy lunch with my coworkers. Have a great Tuesday!

Im very aware that days 10 and11 are when most people crash out of new eating plans.  I've tried to remember that in my planning this week and am making things that are interesting and fun.  I have decided that maybe Kumera ( sweet potato) is a problem for me or maybe it's just mashed kumera, anyway I made the salmon cakes and although they were tasty, I had bad indigestion. The same thing happens when I eat mashed potato. Interesting......it's really easy to overeat mashed veg. Anyway, onwards and upwards. We got this!

Wow! Day 10 and I am really enjoying this. I have to admit to inhaling deeply when my husband is eating chocolate but overall I am really happy with this way of eating. I have taken to carrying a small bottle of coconut milk with me when I go out as I am just finding black coffee too awful for words. Here in NZ coffee is viewed as an art form and many cafes have coconut milk but it's often a coconut/soy blend which is a no no.  I just find it easier to take my own. Tried the Coconut Curry chicken last night with cauliflower rice and it was delish, I am really surprised how much difference it makes when you pound the meat first. I have always said I don't like chicken but not anymore. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate other foods I thought I didn't like. Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well, it's starting to get really wintery here so any suggestions for winter dishes from those of you who have done this before would be really appreciated. : - ) 

Hi Everyone!

I confess-my husband and I messed up last week. It was one of those situations you can't plan for and I was just too tired to fight it. So back to square one we went. We are now 5 days into our Whole 30 again.

Having gone through 4-5 days of Whole 30 starting again didn't involve the headaches I had before of course so this is fine. I also learned-you have to plan for what you don't know. I know that sounds weird but think of the "What if.." scenarios. My take home lesson in this was-when you have those days you're exhausted (check timeline to gauge when that might be)  and the two had to work late-have easy meals with easy back up plan ready. Extra long day at work for both of us and difficult back up plan to failed planned meal (meat was bad). Something to work through is all no biggie. : ) Menu much easier in prep this week. But also I'm not as tired either. We didn't stay off plan we just dealt with that meal and started back the next morning. But in the spirit of the rules-I restarted the clock. 

Tiffany-glad the headaches are gone! Lousy things! Where did you find Whole 30 options-so cool!

Linda, so glad to hear you're liking the plan! But gotta say-coconut milk? I'm trying folks but not a huge fan. I keep buying a can, tasting and tossing. I should probably just stop buying it. I have a rule, try things twice-you might not be in the right state of mind the first time. I always drink my coffee black, that was easiest for me. But I do have a question about the coconut milk-how do you use it? When I open a can it has the solids and the liquid. Which is the "milk" or do you blend it and then use it all? Never been a coconut fan so never tried recipes with it in there. I may not be using it right so don't enjoy it. I'm discovering foods I didn't think I liked anymore as well. Do you all think taste buds are changing? They must right? I"m with you Linda on the chicken-the thighs were the difference for me instead of using the breasts. The way to prepare the "Perfect Chicken" in the Whole 30 book was great.

Hang in there folks-now the easy part!

Well done for getting right back on track! I've found it hard this weekend too. Went to a pot luck dinner on Saturday night and there were so many yummy things I just was not able to have! I was so close to just caving in but I just keep telling myself that I made a promise! Sunday was hard for me because I was not well and we needed to go shopping but had not yet gone. Again, I was so close to just giving up but my husband did a quick supermarket run and saved the day.  I'm holding on but sometimes it's only just my fingernails digging in to my resolve.  I'm really looking forward to the " tiger blood " phase. Almost half way there.  We can do this! 

Oh, and coconut milk? I just pour it into a small bottle and keep it in the fridge. I give it a good shake before I use it to mid the more solid parts in. It's an acquired taste I think but I use it in casseroles and curries and all kinds of things as well as in my coffee and tea. 

Wahoo! Props for staying on track Linda! Today hit me on the tired scale for some reason-Whole 30 plus seasonal allergies I guess-becoming spring here with all kinds of flowers and trees budding. Either way-I rested without guilt and stayed on plan. I wanted a cold breakfast and tried the coconut milk with chia seeds-not bad that way. Thanks for tips for use.

I'm with you-Come one Tiger Blood! I'm really looking forward to that! Keep going!

• 2 weeks later...

It's day 25 and I am struggling!  It seems like we keep being invited out this month and I am finding it really hard to keep going! I've been refusing to eat out this last week because I'm just finding it too hard to refuse the wine and the nibbles not to mention dessert, which I never used to want anyway.  The promised Tiger Blood is nowhere to be found and to be honest, at this point it's just sheer stubborn that's keeping me going. Do I feel good? Yes but no more so than on my low-carb-with-occasional-cheat-days eating and when my husband is sitting next to me eating hot buttered fruit bread toast and sipping pinot gris........well evenings just are not that great. Its true that i have not had to resort to the Gaviscon as much as normal, so thats a big plus. And the recipes are really tasty, which is another big bonus but right now I'm all about the fact that when this 30 days is done my husband is taking me out to dinner and damn it all.....I'm having dessert! 

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in Linda-sorry we got busy this past month too. Did you finish the 30 days? Did you have dessert? What did you choose? I'm with you-my tiger blood wasn't all that. I found that I wasn't eating enough calories. I ate more the next couple of days and did feel way more energy and better attitude. I guess my energy was consistent instead of extra with the calories. So the days I was on the tired side I just had a snack in the evenings (or afternoon if it hit me then) and I was fine. Now that the 30 days are over I feel so much better! I can look at pictures of desserts and think, "Meh." I'm not drooling and craving. Like you no reflux, joints feel better and not creaking. My resting heart rate is way down. Through the trial of food back in-oatmeal is a no go for my husband and I. I can't eat corn (flushing and migraine), wheat isn't great but doable if I keep it to a minimum. Dairy same. We have sugar (we broke out more food groups than recommended because of my food allergies) and legumes to go. So far, I prefer the Whole 30 meals. We don't drink alcohol (migraines for me and he doesn't like it) so we're pretty much going to stay where we are and add in foods when we're out. Corn and oatmeal no go. I've been shocked at how many inches came off with the little bit of weight. My weight loss before I never experienced this many inches if any! Total of 12.5 inches gone. Not lost because I'm not looking for them! : )

Well done! We made it! No I didn't have dessert but I did have wine! I've found that breads and dairy are a bit of a problem for me, causing bloating and stomach cramps. Don't even want to go near legumes! I think I will stick pretty close to this way of eating in the future. I don't know if I lost weight, I didn't bother weighing myself because for me this was not really about weight. My friends say I have lost weight but right now all I can see is how bloated my stomach is from eating bread. I'm going to spend some time this weekend planning my meals for the next month and will stick to whole 30 mostly but when we are invited out to dinner.....Well I'm just going to enjoy it.  My local market has just begun selling Spaghetti Squash, I had never seen them before even though I've read about them through many low carb sites.  I'm loving adding them to my menus. Even my husband is enjoying them.  I'm so pleased you've achieved your goal! There is no feeling quite like it! Keep in touch txgrlatleg, we did this!

Archived