Should I stop IF for Whole30?

I have been following the Paleo and Keto WOE for over a year. With this, I've also been following intermittent fasting for a year as well. I have read articles and forums that suggest you to not introduce IF during your Whole30. I understand it can confuse your body, because there are too many variables.  However, my question is, if my body is already used to IF, do I stop for my Whole30 program? Or would stopping fall into the same category of doing too many changes at once?

Just for reference, this is my current eating pattern:

5:00am: Bullet proof coffee with ghee or coconut milk or oil (<100kcal)

10:00am: Breakfast 

2:00pm: Lunch

5:30-6pm: Dinner

If you've been doing it for a year I'd say you're plenty adapted.  I would keep on as you have been.  I do IF as well (16:8) and have done several Whole30's while on that schedule.  Officially it's not recommended, and actually, ya, probably "dis-recommended" ;) , but it's not prohibited.

Some discussion from mods here: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/19667-whole30-and-intermittent-fasting/ but also, that was 3 years ago, and as you probably have noticed on the internet at large, IF isn't quite as odd as it once was.

• Moderators

Hi LEMorgan,

We normally advise using the Whole30 as an opportunity to reset your hormones, learn to trust your hunger signals, discover any food sensitivities and change your relationship with food.

Give it a try without IF -- you may find benefits you hadn't anticipated, like waking more easily in the morning and going to sleep more easily at night. You can always go back to using IF after your 30 days and see how that feels.

Archived