Starting next month. Need help!

Adrienne21211

My husband and I are starting our first Whole30 on April 11th. I’ve been doing lots of research and saved load of recipes for us. My only struggle is lunch for my husband. He spends all day in a truck or a boat, with no access to a refrigerator or microwave.  I can pack him a cooler, but I have a feeling those meals are going to get boring pretty quickly.  Also, when he’s in the truck he’ll be eating while driving, so it’s got to be handheld and easy or he’ll just hit up any fast food place he sees.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks, and wish us luck!!

• Moderators

You might gently and lovingly remind him that if he has time to stop and get fast food, he has time to pull over/stop what he's doing for 10-15 minutes and eat a meal you've packed for him. You might also keep in mind that sometimes, spouses and loved ones say they'll do something for us, because they love us, but their level of commitment isn't quite as high as our own -- and that is totally okay, they are adults, making their own decisions, and we can't force them to do something they don't really want to do. I mention this last part because I've seen people here on the forums say, I thought hubby was committed, and then I found all the packed lunches I'd made for him in his truck, and found out he'd gone out to lunch with the guys instead, but didn't want to tell me. Not saying that's your situation here, I hope it's not, but it's a thing that has happened before.

To keep those kinds of meals more exciting, vary your proteins -- hard boiled eggs, frittatas/egg muffins, meatballs, burger patties, grilled chicken or beef cut into strips, salmon or tuna patties can all be eaten with your hands. Make different kinds of dips for them to change it up even more. Find vegetables he likes -- you don't say where you are, but if it's still chilly there, soup can be a great way to get in veggies, and it can be blended so he can mostly drink it and stored in a thermos to keep warm. Raw veggies with dip are an obvious choice, but can get boring. You can mix veggies into things like frittatas, meatballs or burger patties instead of having them separate. If he's willing to stop for a bit and eat, you've got more options -- I'm personally okay with eating roasted vegetables cold, but others don't care for that, there's compliant potato salad recipes out there, heartier salads like broccoli salads (http://meljoulwan.com/2010/12/13/suddenly-im-in-the-mood-for-broccoli/) or some of the ideas here:  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/ might work.

Thanks for the tips!  To be honest I know he’s not FULLY committed.  He wants to do it in hopes of gaining a little insight into some medical issues he has, but he’s already told me he’ll “try”.  I’m hoping to take all the guess work out of it for him and still make meals he’s happy eating.  I have my own reasons for doing this so I’ll keep it up regardless.  Thanks for those ideas and I’ll definitely remind him there’s no reason he can’t stop for 10 minutes to eat a healthy lunch! 

Archived