Day 20 and bummed

I've been lurking here for a while but just not sure what I'm doing wrong -- I'm on Day 20 and just not feeling it. I do not have more energy (I overslept for the first time in my career today). I don't feel like my skin is better (it wasn't terrible to start with). I feel like my clothes are getting tighter if anything. 

I didn't do W30 because I felt like there was anything wrong, I just wanted to support my husband and figured I could learn some things along the way. He's been eating the exact the same things but has definitely lost weight (even though I work out and he doesn't).

What am I not doing right??

Meals ...

Breakfast: egg casserole with ground pork, spinach, tomatoes and onions, occasionally black coffee or with a little coconut milk 

Lunch: chicken salad with homemade mayo, cucumber and hard boiled eggs with green peppers as the vehicle 

Dinner: grilled chicken or hamburger with potatoes or sweet potatoes, carrots, celery or green beans 

I've had some fruit mixed in but really tried to not overdo the fruit. Nuts occasionally but again really tried to limit. Had two larabars in the last 20 days both were trapped late at work situations. 

I workout three times a week with some moderate strength training and cardio. Nothing crazy. Also I'm 5'4" and 138 so I wasn't expecting to lose mass amounts of weight or anything ... just hoping to feel leaner and more energetic.

• Moderators

Are you doing pre- and post-workout meals in addition to your three meals? Pre-workout is most important if you're working out first thing in the morning, or it's been several hours since you ate, and you'd want to have protein and fat. Post-workout is lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetable, just a few bites of each, within a short time after your workout.

Are you making sure your servings of proteins at meals are 1-2 times the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand (probably 3-4)? Filling your plate up with vegetables? Adding fat in addition to whatever fat you cook in -- the chicken salad at lunch is probably fine because of the mayo, but you don't mention adding any at dinner, and it looks like you occasionally add some in the form of coconut milk at breakfast but that's probably not enough since a serving of coconut milk is 3-7 ounces of regular canned coconut milk. (You can download the meal template here if you want to take another look:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)  Are you drinking plenty of water? Aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so at 138 pounds, you'd be at nearly 70 oz a day, plus more on days you sweat a lot.

Non-food-related, are you getting good sleep every night? Are you stressed about stuff? Recovering from illness or injury? You don't have to answer these questions for us here if you don't want to, but they're things you want to consider, as they will affect how you feel just as much as what you're eating does.

I usually work out right after work, so dinner is immediately after so not sure how to handle a post WO meal? Should I be having two dinners?

I feel like I'm eating a ton of protein - at least 3 eggs each for breakfast and a big portion of meat. And I'm cooking with lots of olive oil and coconut oil. It sure feels like I'm eating a lot of fat! 

I could probably up my water. I've never been good about drinking a lot of water (hate peeing all the time) but I try to consciously remember to drink throughout the day.

I sleep 7-8 hours per night and am no more stressed than usual. I did have shingles about a month before starting W30 but feel completely recovered. 

I'm just super nervous I'm going to get on that scale at the end of this month and gained weight, which is so discouraging because I felt totally fine before I started this ... now I'm feeling like I spent all this money and all this effort and felt gross for weeks to feel horrible and get fat :( I know that's dramatic but those are my day 20 blues ...

Could it be hormonal? Like premenstrual? I know that when I got my period I’d been feeling great and then felt like a truck had hit me. W30 can throw things off as your body adjusts. 

Also, week 3 of my whole30 I went from tiger blood to “I need 400 hours of sleep” real fast.  Is there anything different about your sleep or workouts? My sleep was disrupted before it improved. 

I hope things get better! I just finished a round in March so I am no expert. But I wish you well!

16 hours ago, theonejesstraveledby said:

I'm just super nervous I'm going to get on that scale at the end of this month and gained weight, which is so discouraging because I felt totally fine before I started this ... now I'm feeling like I spent all this money and all this effort and felt gross for weeks to feel horrible and get fat :( I know that's dramatic but those are my day 20 blues ...

I think you just pointed out something important, that this is perhaps a natural stage in the W30 journey. I would also point out that you still have 10 days left, which is a lot of time, so your body will still be making changes. How much protein were you eating before this? If it was less, and you are working out, you could be experiencing an increase in muscle mass, or your body is holding on to extra water as your muscles repair. When I'm feeling this way, I try to swap out just a little protein for a few more veggies. 

I definitely relate to this. I am on day 17, and actually had the Tiger Blood thing going on last week, and then over this last weekend I went from crazy energy, to crazy BLAH. I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia many years ago, and am doing this try to determine what foods make me extremely tired, and what foods sustain me. I do know that the last 2 mornings I have woken up with the same headache that I felt the entire first week, extremely light headed, and teetering on depression. I have actually increased my food intake over the last week or so, but maybe I need more. I was losing weight, which I did not want. Currently its:

Breakfast: Fritatta "muffin" w/eggs, potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions. Sweet potato "muffin" w/walnuts, eggs, coconut,  then some fruit (orange, or small thing of grapes). Usually a handful of almonds and pistachios, or some almond butter.

Lunch: homemade chicken salad with (homemade mayo, celery), roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, steamed potatoes tossed in homemade vinaigrette, green beans. Sometimes half avocado, or some almond butter with an apple. Its a big mixture of veggies but small portions of each. Might have fruit with this meal, if not then dinner.

Dinner: some kind of protein (fish, chicken, sausage, hamburger), then some veggies. They are all the same veggies just in different rotation.

I drink a ton of water, always have. I am not premenstrual. My husband, 4 yr old daughter and I live with my mother and the 3 adults are all doing the whole 30. We are all kind of in a slump, me more than them. We came up with the bfast muffin type things because the first week I was trying to make us all bfast and still get everyone ready and out the door by 7:10 and it was not sustainable. So I put our bfast into something we could all take with us to eat at work. I have double checked that we haven't accidentally incorporated something non-compliant into our diet, but nothing has changed from the previous week where we all had tons of energy. IDK.

I know we all process things differently, but I just want to feel better! I have so much work to do at work and am really struggling to get anything done. 

9 minutes ago, eleobu said:

I definitely relate to this. I am on day 17, and actually had the Tiger Blood thing going on last week, and then over this last weekend I went from crazy energy, to crazy BLAH. I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia many years ago, and am doing this try to determine what foods make me extremely tired, and what foods sustain me. I do know that the last 2 mornings I have woken up with the same headache that I felt the entire first week, extremely light headed, and teetering on depression. I have actually increased my food intake over the last week or so, but maybe I need more. I was losing weight, which I did not want Currently its:

Breakfast: Fritatta "muffin" w/eggs, potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions. Sweet potato "muffin" w/walnuts, eggs, coconut,  then some fruit (orange, or small thing of grapes)

Lunch: homemade chicken salad with (homemade mayo, celery), roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, steamed potatoes tossed in homemade vinaigrette, green beans. Sometimes half avocado, or some almond butter with an apple. Its a big mixture of veggies but small portions of each. Might have fruit with this meal, if not then dinner.

Dinner: some kind of protein (fish, chicken, sausage, hamburger), then some veggies. They are all the same veggies just in different rotation.

I drink a ton of water, always have. I am not premenstrual,

I know we all process things differently, but I just want to feel better! I have so much work to do at work and am really struggling to get anything done. 

Something I noticed at a first glance at your meals is that you're not adding fat to any meals but lunch with the mayo. Make sure you're adding some kind of plated fat with every meal - don't count the oil/fat you use to cook in, add something on top of that! That will probably help with your headaches and lightheaded feeling.

45 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Something I noticed at a first glance at your meals is that you're not adding fat to any meals but lunch with the mayo. Make sure you're adding some kind of plated fat with every meal - don't count the oil/fat you use to cook in, add something on top of that! That will probably help with your headaches and lightheaded feeling.

Thats a great point. I forgot to add in that with bfast usually eat some kind of nut mix, almonds pistachios, etc..and with dinner as well. But maybe I need to increase that. At this point I will try anything, thanks for taking the time to write back.

2 hours ago, eleobu said:

Thats a great point. I forgot to add in that with bfast usually eat some kind of nut mix, almonds pistachios, etc..and with dinner as well. But maybe I need to increase that. At this point I will try anything, thanks for taking the time to write back.

Of course! Careful with nuts, they can really wreck your digestion - recommendation by moderators here is a closed handful every other day! 

Do you like avocados? Olives? Pesto? I also like to mix different spices or mustard or hot sauce into my mayo to give it a little different flavor with each meal.

49 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Of course! Careful with nuts, they can really wreck your digestion - recommendation by moderators here is a closed handful every other day! 

Do you like avocados? Olives? Pesto? I also like to mix different spices or mustard or hot sauce into my mayo to give it a little different flavor with each meal.

Interesting, yes I love avocados! I forgot my half today and my lunch was not as good.  I didn't realize it but I guess it was the nuts that were causing digestion issues, so thx and I was definitely eating more than I should. I will dial that back (and my husband will probably be grateful too). :) 

So are you putting mayo (in various forms) on your food as the fat? I hadn't thought of that. This is really helpful, thank you!!! 

On 4/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, eleobu said:

Interesting, yes I love avocados! I forgot my half today and my lunch was not as good.  I didn't realize it but I guess it was the nuts that were causing digestion issues, so thx and I was definitely eating more than I should. I will dial that back (and my husband will probably be grateful too). :) 

So are you putting mayo (in various forms) on your food as the fat? I hadn't thought of that. This is really helpful, thank you!!! 

Yeah, nuts are a tricky one! Yes to mayo with food - I'll use it as a dipping sauce, or if I add hot sauce that thins it out a bit so you can pour it over like a dressing. Or, make it into ranch dressing, which is good on everything!!

I’m allergic to avocado and don’t love mayo (texture), so I eat a lot of olives and coconut flakes/shreds. I also use ghee, Tessemae’s, and ranch dressing as added fat. Like, drizzle ghee on veggies after cooking. And bacon or prosciutto sometimes.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:53 PM, theonejesstraveledby said:

I usually work out right after work, so dinner is immediately after so not sure how to handle a post WO meal? Should I be having two dinners?

I feel like I'm eating a ton of protein - at least 3 eggs each for breakfast and a big portion of meat. And I'm cooking with lots of olive oil and coconut oil. It sure feels like I'm eating a lot of fat! 

I could probably up my water. I've never been good about drinking a lot of water (hate peeing all the time) but I try to consciously remember to drink throughout the day.

I sleep 7-8 hours per night and am no more stressed than usual. I did have shingles about a month before starting W30 but feel completely recovered. 

I have wondered this as well, "I usually work out right after work, so dinner is immediately after so not sure how to handle a post WO meal? Should I be having two dinners?" 

I am a little confused on the pre/ post workout meals. I typically workout at 5a before work and then eat breakfast 30-45 minutes after getting home. Am I supposed to eat two breakfast meals? I can barely finish the normal whole30 breakfast since it is more than I am used to eating in the AM, so I can't imagine having to eat more that early. 

Any advice/ clarification would be helpful!

I deeply relate to the OP. I did Whole30 because I was starting to have what I am guessing to be intolerances to some Foods, I just didn't know which ones. All other members of my family have bad allergy problems, my sister had late onset and sudden onset allergies/intolerances last year around this time. Doc had her do this to determine the problems. When I began having similar issues (only upset stomach and nausea and more frequent headaches, otherwise felt great), I decided to try this.

I'm 19 days in and I have felt like I was hit by a train since day 1. I had a fairly healthy diet before starting. Now, I sleep 14+ hours a day, and do not feel rested. All my symptoms got better for about 3 days (days 3-6ish) but have since only gotten progressively worse. I used to go to the gym a lot, now it's a struggle to even wake up at all, let alone go to the gym.  I can rule out hormonal issues. I've tried adding extra veggies/fruit for carbs, and adding various fats. No amount of caffeine can touch the fatigue I'm feeling. There's no other changes/influences. Whole30 is the only change. If anything, my normal life stressors have lessened since this started, so I can't blame other stressors either. At this point, I have a very hard time believing that "tiger blood" is even real, let alone something I can actually attain. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, boyercs said:

I have wondered this as well, "I usually work out right after work, so dinner is immediately after so not sure how to handle a post WO meal? Should I be having two dinners?" 

I am a little confused on the pre/ post workout meals. I typically workout at 5a before work and then eat breakfast 30-45 minutes after getting home. Am I supposed to eat two breakfast meals? I can barely finish the normal whole30 breakfast since it is more than I am used to eating in the AM, so I can't imagine having to eat more that early. 

Any advice/ clarification would be helpful!

Pre- and post-workout are not the size of regular meals, they're just a few bites of food. Try to eat something within an hour of waking up -- so for you that would be pre-workout, it sounds like. This could be a hard boiled egg, maybe with some mayo if you want. Or a handful of almonds or olives or coconut flakes, or a spoonful of almond butter.

Post-workout you could take to the gym with you and eat in the car before you head home -- it'll just be a bit of lean protein, like chicken, and optionally some starchy vegetables (which you may not need as post-wo if you eat them with a meal or two throughout the day).  Then when you get home, breakfast as usual.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, StrasserInc said:

I deeply relate to the OP. I did Whole30 because I was starting to have what I am guessing to be intolerances to some Foods, I just didn't know which ones. All other members of my family have bad allergy problems, my sister had late onset and sudden onset allergies/intolerances last year around this time. Doc had her do this to determine the problems. When I began having similar issues (only upset stomach and nausea and more frequent headaches, otherwise felt great), I decided to try this.

I'm 19 days in and I have felt like I was hit by a train since day 1. I had a fairly healthy diet before starting. Now, I sleep 14+ hours a day, and do not feel rested. All my symptoms got better for about 3 days (days 3-6ish) but have since only gotten progressively worse. I used to go to the gym a lot, now it's a struggle to even wake up at all, let alone go to the gym.  I can rule out hormonal issues. I've tried adding extra veggies/fruit for carbs, and adding various fats. No amount of caffeine can touch the fatigue I'm feeling. There's no other changes/influences. Whole30 is the only change. If anything, my normal life stressors have lessened since this started, so I can't blame other stressors either. At this point, I have a very hard time believing that "tiger blood" is even real, let alone something I can actually attain. 

If you tell us more specifically what you're eating, including portion sizes as they relate to the meal template and specific vegetables, as well as water intake, and pre- and post-workout meals when you do work out, we can give you better feedback.

In general, are you drinking plenty of water -- aiming for 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz? Are you salting your food -- too little salt can result in feelings of exhaustion, so be sure you're adding enough salt that your food tastes good to you. Make sure you have 1-2 portions of protein that are the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, or if eggs are your only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand. Add one or two of the fat options listed on the meal template with each meal, in addition to any oil you cook in. And then fill your plate with veggies, 2-3 cups at each meal. Most people do well with a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day, like potato, sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrots, parsnips, beets, or winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, but some people do need more, especially those who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or who are pregnant, nursing, or in the week or so leading up to their period.

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

Pre- and post-workout are not the size of regular meals, they're just a few bites of food. Try to eat something within an hour of waking up -- so for you that would be pre-workout, it sounds like. This could be a hard boiled egg, maybe with some mayo if you want. Or a handful of almonds or olives or coconut flakes, or a spoonful of almond butter.

Post-workout you could take to the gym with you and eat in the car before you head home -- it'll just be a bit of lean protein, like chicken, and optionally some starchy vegetables (which you may not need as post-wo if you eat them with a meal or two throughout the day).  Then when you get home, breakfast as usual.

@ShannonM816 I think that makes more sense! I think because of the word "meal" I was getting thrown off a bit! Thank you for your reply!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, StrasserInc said:

How are you ruling out hormonal issues? Did you have medical testing done? It sounds like you might be iron deficient and/or B6 deficient which can both lead to extreme exhaustion. Beyond that, unless you want to tell us what you've typically been eating (including portions, specific veggies and fats etc), I would suggest you seek out medical attention. Sleeping 14 hours a day isn't a normal symptom of eating protein, veggies and fats.

In response to both ladyshanny and ShannonM816:

Breakfast is typically 2-3 eggs, 3-5 strips of bacon, a few cashews if needed. Lunch and dinner always come from the cookbook (we've tried 2 of the chili recipes, have North African chicken at least 2x/wk, southwest bowls, several spaghetti squash recipes). Since I do shiftwork I do my best to keep it to 3 meals, but some days it's not feasible with my job. Combined protein intake is typically 10-16oz, depending on what was made. Usually at least 1fairly large sweet potato, as most the recipes my husband and I both like have a lot of sweet potatoes. We also substitute asparagus for Brussels sprouts; and eat a lot of cauliflower and spaghetti squash and mix a handful of spinach and some salt in the morning eggs. In a day I will usually eat 1-2 Tupperware containers (4x6" give or take) of pineapple/mango/watermelon. I cannot tell you the exact amount of vegetables I eat with my meals, I just eat them until I'm full, then if I'm at home and wind up hungry between meals I eat them or first, along with a small amount of added fats since my last meal didn't hold me over to the next. Then with my job I've added a larabar in between meals with a small palm of cashews on my commute or eaten while I chart since I never know when I will be able to eat. Depending on what I made for meals that day, I try to add extra olive oil after cooking to increase fats as a troubleshoot effort. I'm on a high-salt diet per my MD, so I typically double whatever the recipe calls for. I'm 125 lb and drink 60-80 oz water every day, and I've started drinking a 16oz bottle of coconut water every day on top of that, which I also attempt to sneak a little salt into.

I attempted going to the gym one time and got sick (around day 9 I think), and haven't been able to go back, so pre and post workout meals aren't an issue for me  

I can rule out hormones because I did recently have levels drawn, along with a full panel as part of a physical (pre W30, but I guess it might be possible there's been a big change since starting?). After meticulously charting for a few years, I can't fully blame my cycle either because the days I feel worst do not coincide with what cycle days I typically feel more fatigued or less hungry. 

• Moderators

First, since you're on a high-salt diet, if you have an amount you need to aim for every day, be sure you're hitting that. If you ate much processed food at all (even things like deli meat, breads, crackers, chips, prepared or frozen meals, salad dressings, dips, sauces -- even if you didn't go have fast food) before you'd have been getting a ton of salt easily that just isn't there in whole foods. 

You're eating a lot of fruit -- if you feel like there are blood sugar issues, it's probably more effective long term to eat starchy vegetables at your meals, rather than fruit, especially if you're eating that fruit between meals without the protein and fat to help digest it more slowly. We recommend people start with a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, like sweet potato, potato, turnips, beets, parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, or winter squashes like acorn or butternut squash, but you can have as much as you feel like you need -- have a serving that size at each meal if you think you need it. Have other vegetables too, of course, not just these.

When you're having the Larabar, could you sub something with more protein and fat? Jerky, Epic bars, canned tuna, salmon, or chicken, maybe with some olives or a packet of premade compliant guacamole?

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

First, since you're on a high-salt diet, if you have an amount you need to aim for every day, be sure you're hitting that. If you ate much processed food at all (even things like deli meat, breads, crackers, chips, prepared or frozen meals, salad dressings, dips, sauces -- even if you didn't go have fast food) before you'd have been getting a ton of salt easily that just isn't there in whole foods. 

You're eating a lot of fruit -- if you feel like there are blood sugar issues, it's probably more effective long term to eat starchy vegetables at your meals, rather than fruit, especially if you're eating that fruit between meals without the protein and fat to help digest it more slowly. We recommend people start with a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, like sweet potato, potato, turnips, beets, parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, or winter squashes like acorn or butternut squash, but you can have as much as you feel like you need -- have a serving that size at each meal if you think you need it. Have other vegetables too, of course, not just these.

When you're having the Larabar, could you sub something with more protein and fat? Jerky, Epic bars, canned tuna, salmon, or chicken, maybe with some olives or a packet of premade compliant guacamole?

I will definitely try all that and see if it helps! Thank you!! 

Glad I found this post. I so relate. I'm discouraged and a bit frustrated. I'm on day 21 and the bloating and gas are awful. My clothes were fitting looser for a while, but now they are tighter. No tiger blood of any kind -- just exhaustion. I need more sleep not less. I feel horrible in the mornings and exhausted all day and I'm struggling to keep up with anything. The amount of time and energy I'm spending on food is just not doable for such disappointing results.
I'm 42, have 11 children (10 still at home including a nursing baby.) I stopped really working out or playing sports after baby #7, and we homeschool so it's just gotten busier from there. I drink a lot of water all day, but don't keep track of exactly how much. I get as much sleep as I can but I've not gotten a full night's sleep in decades with this brood ;) I have always been able to do well with limited sleep -- until whole30 it seems. I'm sure I could be told to get more sleep, but that's not always an option. I need a diet that will sustain me in my life rather than requiring me to make unreasonable changes so I can sustain it, if that makes sense. I always ate relatively healthy before (whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies) but I rarely ate meat and I did eat too much sugar, so I've been glad to reboot and get rid of the sugar. The painful and horrible smelling gas and bloating are the biggest problem, and the utter lack of energy and lack of weight loss are making me lose hope that this is the right diet for me...
A few typical meals
Meal 1: Fritata with TONS of veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, asparagus, etc) served with a whole avocado and some compliant sausage.
Meal 2: Giant cobb or taco salad. Tons of spring mix with various veggies and mango or other fruit slices. with balsamic and olive oil.
Meal 3: Roast beef with onions, carrots, rutabega mashed potatoes prepared with plenty of oil and spices (whole30 compliant) and a few drinks of coconut almond milk.

Meal 1: Super veggie Fritata with leftover shrimp or salmon and a baked sweet potato slathered in cinnamon coconut oil.
Meal 2: Twice fried plantains (deep fried in coconut oil) with pico de gallo, leftover steak, celery sticks with a bit of almond butter and a few raisins and coconut
Meal 3: Grilled Salmon salad. Tons of veggies and spring mix with Salmon and oil/vinegar.
I've also used celery with a bit of almond butter and coconut and maybe a hard boiled egg as a small snack when necessary. And I've drunk some coconut almond milk when I felt I needed it (nursing mom.)
Any help would be appreciated. 

Forgot to add -- I'm 5'10" and weigh probably around 175-180 -- size 14 -- and not losing baby weight like I used to. I'd like to lose at least 20 pounds, preferably 30 and two or three pants sizes. I would gladly settle for 10 pounds or so and one pants size on this go round.

Archived