"Carb Loading" on whole 30

eleobu

Hi- my husband and I are both doing whole 30, and on the second to last day he running a half marathon. He was already in shape for it, so there is no issue there, but we are wondering how people handle the "carb loading" that people usually do before something like that.

What are some good sources of energy for him to eat?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Try looking through this sub-forum you've posted in or Google "Whole30 endurance" and see what you can find. This topic has been discussed endlessly - simpler if you can find the multitudes of advice, experience and tips that are already here rather than us typing them out again. :) 

Potatoes and sweet potatoes would be my go-to if on a round.

Having done endurance sports for the last decade though, I don't think most people need to "carb load" beyond a normal serving of potatoes the night before a half marathon. Much more and you're likely to experience GI distress or feeling bloated/heavy for your race. Here's an article he may find helpful - it also describes the "carb depletion" part of the equation (not Whole30 specific, but can apply).

Was he experiencing issues during long training runs that prompted the carb loading question? Typically the long training runs are the best time to experiment with this kind of stuff so you know what to expect on race day.

Archived