Could Whole30 create FODMAP sensitivity?

I am now on Day 29 and what should be the best days of Whole30 but it's actually been the worst. Starting on Day 24, I started having pretty uncomfortable lower abdominal pain/pressure and bloating and it hasn't gone away for the past 6 days. I know it's more common to get digestive issues earlier in the Whole30 journey but I actually breezed through Days 3-23 with absolutely no issues and great energy.

Troubleshooting led me to evaluate that most of the fruits & veggies I have been eating during Whole30 are high FODMAP foods. I would eat these almost on a daily basis: mango, apple, sweet potato, cauliflower rice, asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, onion, avocado, and uncooked greens in salads. Now I've tried following a FODMAP diet in addition to Whole30 these past 3 days and also added a probiotic, but it hasn't seemed to help and I'm still experiencing that constant lower abdominal pain.

I've never had any digestive issues or foods that I've reacted to in the past, so my biggest fear is that the Whole30 has created a food sensitivity for me and that it will not go away. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any advice?

Separate issues but I also started Whole30 as a way to alleviate seasonal allergies but today I've had the worst allergy attack in months. My energy is lower than usual too, even lower than before Whole30, so I feel like I'm progressing backwards and don't understand why...

• Administrators

Eating protein, vegetables and fat isn't going to create an allergy where non existed before. However, if you are filling in your intake with all FODMAP (or mostly), you could have reached your tolerance limit. 

You say you're following a FODMAP list, but are you completely avoiding all FODMAP? If you have discivered your upper-limit to FODMAP foods you may need to completely avoid for a while until you start to feel better.

Beyond that, if you're concerned, see a doctor, unfortunately we can't diagnose or provide medical advice here.

As for allergies, ya, they suck. I always got mega-allergies and then three years ago they just stopped. This year they're back. I have no idea why because we stay very close to Whole30 most of the time. Take allergy pills if you need them!

Archived