Hello everyone! I start my whole30 tomorrow morning and I did some preparing today by shopping!

I know sugar is not allowed in the whole30 (duh), but I'm a little confused on something...
I was reading labels today at the store, and while sugar wasn't on the ingredient list, the nutrition label said it had sugar in it... so can I have the said item or not?

For example, a can of Hannaford Tomato Sauce lists ingredients:
"Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Less than 2% of: salt, onion powder, garlic powder, citric acid, natural flavors, dehydrated bell peppers"
But in the label it says "Total Sugars 2g" ("Includes 0g Added Sugars)

Is this just the natural sugars you get from tomatoes? Should I be more concerned with the ingredient list or the nutrition label (or both)? What if  the label DIDN'T say "added sugars"? A few items were like this, so I didn't buy the product just in case (but will need them soon if I want to make what I have planned!)
If this is a product I should stay away from, anyone have any recommendations for tomato sauce, tomato paste and canned diced tomatoes? (I live in New England).

Also, is there a source/list of products you can scroll through/browse to see what is approved?

Little about me:
I don't drink coffee, and am considered a social drinker to alcohol and soda (not even once a week!) Bread, pasteries, and ESPECIALLY chocolate are my biggest mountains to climb.

Any tips or advice is welcomed!
Thanks for reading! ^^

-oh, and I know it's been answered (but can't find it) but is popcorn okay to have? I'm mainly talking about the Skinny Pop brand (the plain/original flavor in particular). I think I read the answer is no, but it was because of the butter in it (which the original does not)

• Moderators

Any plant-based food will have naturally occurring sugars -- those are okay, if those weren't allowed you couldn't eat any vegetables or fruit or nuts. Just read the ingredient list, and as long as all the ingredients are okay, the food is fine to have.

There's a shopping list here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ and the official Whole30 Approved list is here (but note that you can do a Whole30 without ever buying anything from the Whole30 Approved list, they're more for convenience, and you can buy everything you need at local grocery stores/WalMart): https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/

Popcorn is out because it is corn and corn is not allowed, regardless of any topping that are or are not on it.

17 hours ago, Chi said:

Hello everyone! I start my whole30 tomorrow morning and I did some preparing today by shopping!

I know sugar is not allowed in the whole30 (duh), but I'm a little confused on something...
I was reading labels today at the store, and while sugar wasn't on the ingredient list, the nutrition label said it had sugar in it... so can I have the said item or not?

For example, a can of Hannaford Tomato Sauce lists ingredients:
"Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Less than 2% of: salt, onion powder, garlic powder, citric acid, natural flavors, dehydrated bell peppers"
But in the label it says "Total Sugars 2g" ("Includes 0g Added Sugars)

Is this just the natural sugars you get from tomatoes? Should I be more concerned with the ingredient list or the nutrition label (or both)? What if  the label DIDN'T say "added sugars"? A few items were like this, so I didn't buy the product just in case (but will need them soon if I want to make what I have planned!)
If this is a product I should stay away from, anyone have any recommendations for tomato sauce, tomato paste and canned diced tomatoes? (I live in New England).

Also, is there a source/list of products you can scroll through/browse to see what is approved?

Little about me:
I don't drink coffee, and am considered a social drinker to alcohol and soda (not even once a week!) Bread, pasteries, and ESPECIALLY chocolate are my biggest mountains to climb.

Any tips or advice is welcomed!
Thanks for reading! ^^

-oh, and I know it's been answered (but can't find it) but is popcorn okay to have? I'm mainly talking about the Skinny Pop brand (the plain/original flavor in particular). I think I read the answer is no, but it was because of the butter in it (which the original does not)

Shannon answered your questions, but I also wanted to mention that a lot of bloggers put together lists of whole30 items you can get at particular stores - like Target, Costco, Whole Foods, etc. If you're shopping at a specific store, try googling "Whole30 + Store + shopping list" and see if anything comes up!

But even if you find a shopping list, double check everything because A) The internet can be the wild west out there as far as what bloggers label Whole30, B) It's good practice so you know exactly what you're looking for, C) Recipes and ingredient lists can change over time, and over regional variability.  (I know for certain I bought some sort of compliant tomato/marinara sauce at Trader Joe's years ago.  Last night it was nowhere to be found.)  But the lists can be helpful and give good ideas.

You didn't ask this specifically, but there is no Whole30 app, and if you come across one, it is not approved and should be treated with extreme suspicion!  

The first few days/weeks of reading tons of labels might be time-consuming, but then you'll be a pro and breeze through the grocery store!

Thanks everyone! Sorry for responding late: I've been busy cooking! Seems to take me at least an hour in the kitchen to make/clean up a meal!

Also, forgot to ask, but what's up with the mayo recipe (the basic one from the cookbook)? It seems to include raw egg... is that okay to eat? I've always been told not to eat raw cookie dough growing up because of the egg... Can't seem to find an answer to this.

• Moderators

Raw egg is entirely personal and there are definitely people who are not interested in eating mayo made with raw egg but honestly?  I have never heard in all my years doing Whole30, participating in and then moderating this forum that anyone ever got sick because of home made mayo.  Properly stored in the fridge, not left out between uses and using eggs not near their expiration date should all be plenty to ensure safety but it's a personal choice :) 

33 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Raw egg is entirely personal and there are definitely people who are not interested in eating mayo made with raw egg but honestly?  I have never heard in all my years doing Whole30, participating in and then moderating this forum that anyone ever got sick because of home made mayo.  Properly stored in the fridge, not left out between uses and using eggs not near their expiration date should all be plenty to ensure safety but it's a personal choice :) 

Thanks! I guess it's just strange to me to consume something that has raw egg in it (but since I've always had mayo, I was eating raw egg all along? Definitely going to go google digging for some info!

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Chi said:

Thanks! I guess it's just strange to me to consume something that has raw egg in it (but since I've always had mayo, I was eating raw egg all along? Definitely going to go google digging for some info!

Unless you were making your own, commercially prepared mayo would use pasterized eggs.  You can actually pasterize an egg yourself before making mayo if that makes you more comfortable.  There are tons of tutorials online :)

Archived