Brandi Whole30 & Ironman Training

I’m a distance runner turned Ironman triathlete, having completed 4 70.3s and a Full Ironman, dozens of half marathons and 7 full marathons. I am in training for 2 more 70.3s this year, with the main goal of qualifying for 70.3 Age Group Nationals. 

I live in Washington State with my hubby, our 5 children and our rescue pitbull, Kimbo. I work full-time as a Marketing Director in Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation with a bachelors degree in Social Work. I am also working on my Administrator-In-Training program.

This means I am super busy, with a pile of kids, a heavy load at work and training for several long distance endurance races. 

So this is the beginning for me! I am trying to just restart my bad eating and focus on putting healthy foods inside my body for training and for better health. I have a pile of bad eating habits, ranging from drinking too much wine, a love for anything starchy and salt (chips & pastas especially), and coffee with lots of creamers and sugars. So my focus is to correct those bad habits and become healthier overall. 

This is Day One!!!!

Slept in, which was amazing. Started the "no wine" last night and drank tea instead. Slept like a baby. 

Breakfast: Sweet Potato sautéed in Avocado Oil and topped with 3 eggs also cooked in Avocado Oil, black tea

Mid-Morning: Green Tea

Lunch (at a business meeting): Chicken, Salad w/ a vinaigrette dressing, and side of fruit 

Snack: Pistachios & Dried Apple Slices

Evening Workout: Swimming Thresholds & Threshold Intervals on the Bike (2 hours)

Dinner: Shrimp sautéed in balsamic vinegar & baked sweet potatoes tossed in avocado oil and salt

Post Dinner: An orange & Sleepy Tea 

**cheers to day one being off to such a good start!! 

IMG_2838.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

Traveled all day for work today, so that made things a tad more difficult today. Thankfully, I told my boss about my nutritional changes, so traveling with someone supportive was so helpful. No workouts, as I had to travel all day and my kids had a softball scrimmage. 

Breakfast: Sweet Potato sautéed in Avocado Oil and topped with 3 eggs also cooked in Avocado Oil, black tea

Mid-Morning: Green Tea

Lunch: Grilled garlic shrimp & Salad w/ a vinaigrette dressing

Snack: Raspberries

Dinner: Sweet Potato, Crab & Grapes

Post Dinner: Sleepy Tea 

Wow, you're basically a superhero doing those workouts with kids! All parents are, as far as I'm concerned!

One thing, instead of your fruit and nuts before you workout, have a protein and fat snack as your pre-workout (although something that won't make you burp while swimming!), and then a few chunks of protein and starch straight after your workout (before you get in the car, even). Otherwise you're going to end up seriously gassed and undereating (amongst all of the other reasons you should have a post-workout snack).

Another work day out of my office. So still a tad challenging but I felt good about it. 

Breakfast: 3 eggs, black tea

Lunch: Grapefruit, chicken & pistachios

Snack: Blackberries & Pistachios

Dinner: Sweet Potato sautéed in Avocado Oil and topped with 4 eggs also cooked in Avocado Oil

Long workout tonight with an hour run and an hour on the bike. Feeling king of sluggish but made it through without too much difficulty. Day 3 complete!

It's Fri-YAY, I am still 100% and at DAY 4!!!

I have been sleeping so well! It's crazy! I typically drink a glass of wine to help me get to sleep, and usually sleep about 6 hours. This week without wine, I have been falling asleep just fine and sleeping for like 8-9 hours a night!!! Which hasn't been great to get any workouts in before work. But man I feel good. 

Pre-Breakfast: Black tea

Breakfast: Crab, tomatoes, pistachios, green tea

Lunch: Crab, tomatoes, dried apples & pistachios

Dinner: Sweet Potato sautéed in Avocado Oil and topped with 4 eggs also cooked in Avocado Oil

Workout: An hour in the pool and an easy 2 mile run. 

It is the weekend!! Day 5!!

First weekend that we have had in a long time where we didn't have basketball tournament or softball tournaments. So we all took advantage of this and slept in. Which was quite enjoyed. I sleep so much better without that night cap of wine and without the coffee all day. I have noticed that my workouts have felt a touch more difficult without the caffeine however. 

Breakfast: Green tea, cajun style sausage & 3 eggs sautéed in avocado oil, grapefruit

Lunch: Grapes, butternut squash (baked and salted) & crab

Dinner: Shrimp, onions, peppers, and mushrooms sautéed in a hot marinade (it was a tad too spicy but and delicious)

Workout: I was really looking forward to an outdoor run, but the weather went crazy here this morning... Trees falling down, sideways rain, power off & on... So once the weather was stable enough that the power stayed on, I did my 50 minute run on the treadmill. 

Day 6

Breakfast: Green tea, Sweet Potato sautéed in Avocado Oil and topped with 4 eggs also cooked in Avocado Oil

Lunch: 4 deviled eggs (paleo mayo & mustard) and crab

Dinner: Zoodles (zucchini noodles) stirfry style with strips of beef - this was totally delicious

Workout: An hour run outside (windy but clear out), 1:40 on my bike **my stomach did not feel good during these workouts, not sure if it was the food or just my body trying to figure out what I’m doing...**

Next week will be a tad more difficult. I have two travel days, two mornings I have to be up and out of here around 4:40am, and about 3 additional hours of training the week. So will take a tad more focus & organization. 

Day 7 - Yesterday

Crazy morning, had to leave for work at 4:40a and didn't make it home until after 6:30p.

Breakfast: Mahi Mahi & Sweet Potatoes

Lunch: Pistachios & Jerkey

Dinner: Chicken and Salad

Workout: none - 14 hour work day with a conference out of town & was exhausted

Day 8

Another super long working day. State auditors came in, which happens annually, so of course would happen while I am in the middle of this process! Erg. 

Breakfast: Dried apples, pistachios

Lunch: Sliced Turkey, strawberries, half of a banana

Dinner: Chicken taco salad & sweet potato fries (homemade)

Workout: none - Another long day.......... this will be the trend of this week 

Day 9

State auditors still in, can't leave until they exit each day, so long days until it's over. Told my coach that my Ironman training would take a tad of a lag for this week. 

Breakfast: Larabar, Pistachios, Tomatoes

Lunch: Crab, Pistachios & apple

Dinner: Chicken 

Workout: none.... ugggggggghhhhh

Archived