Lara's Round 1 April 2018

Lara599

I guess today counts as day -1? LOL.  I am starting April 6th, and I'm really excited.  The food looks so good.  The biggest change for me will be baked goods.  This has always been a big part of my family life, so I know it will be tough to not just whip up a batch of cookies or bake a pie when I'm bored.  This all started when I picked up "It Starts with Food" on whim.  Man, I had no idea how our body actually utilizes and reacts to the food we eat.  I've always felt like I was eating relatively healthy,  but I did not realize that some of the symptoms I am having (chronic fatigue, arthritis in my neck at 30 years old, etc) could be related to how I was fueling my body.  I love that the books are framed not as a "diet," but as a way to learn to how to best fuel MY body for optimum functioning.  Which really should be the purpose of our eating.  My doctor had suggested an elimination diet in the past, but it always seemed overwhelming or too vague for me to feel confident going in.  I love how simply they have outlined everything and how accessible the program is. My biggest struggle will, of course, be people.  I know my extended family will not understand it very well.  My husband is supportive, but I'm not really sure he believes I will make it the entire 30 days.  But I'm determined.  This isn't something I am taking lightly.

My pantry isn't totally wiped clean.  Unfortunately, the rest of my family doesn't want to follow along on the journey, so some of the foods have to stay, but I have my first week of meals planned and grocery list written out, so tomorrow is grocery and prep day :)

• Moderators

Hello! I'd suggest coming up with a list of things you can do when you're bored or otherwise might turn to baking. It'll be easier in the moment if you have a written list of options and don't have to sit there and come up with something. Instead of baking, you can meal prep, clean, work on a hobby, read a book, go for a walk, do some yoga or meditation, do your nails, call a friend -- come up with ideas that work for you.

Also, I think your family will be surprised how good the food is, and won't mind too much eating a lot of the same things you do. A lot of people fix one main meal, and then non-Whole30 family members can add some bread or rice or cheese or whatever they feel they can't live without. 

Over in the Join the Whole30 part of the forum, you can find more people starting around the same time you are, if you want a group of people that can cheer each other on or commiserate when things are hard:  https://forum.whole30.com/forum/4-join-the-whole30/ -- most of the topics there have the start date in the title, just browse til you find one that is around April 6 and jump in and introduce yourself. You can keep posting a log here, but the logs don't always get many other people posting to them, so the other part of the forum is just another option if you want more interaction.

Thanks! All great tips. I picked here since i don't have specific questions. Just wanted a place to write out my thoughts. If people join me, awesome! If not, it's mostly for my own reflection.

Day 1. 4/6

This was rougher than I expected. Headaches and nausea have already started. My two year old was also having a very tough day emotionally. I stuck it out, but not was it tough to do all the meal prep when she was as needy as she was today. Thankfully everything I made today was double batch so I don't have much cooking to do tomorrow. Here's hoping tomorrow goes better. 

Archived