I am on day 3 of W30 and am experiencing moderate to low grade headaches and neck pain throughout the day.  I am addicted to Excedrin Extra Strength and Excedrin Migraine.  I have held off taking these since starting the program, but how long might these headaches continue on?  Is there anything I can do to alleviate without taking the pills.  I want to be clean of all these chemicals and sugar, as well.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I couldn't get to sleep last night for the life of me.  Finally got a few winks sometime after 5:00 this morning.  Don't want to give in and throw myself off track.  Thanks.

• Moderators

Excedrin products have caffeine in them -- you're probably going through caffeine withdrawal right now. Generally, this will last a few days to a week, so you should be getting close to the end of it.

For now, be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- aim for at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz. Be sure you salt your food to taste, and make your meals match the meal template (available here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/) If the headaches are debilitating, you could look for different pain relievers, ones without caffeine, like Tylenol or Advil.

Sometimes changes in diet or other changes can make it harder to get to sleep -- this might resolve itself over time as your body gets used to the changes, but here's an article with tips for improving sleep that might also be helpful:  http://whole9life.com/2015/04/mental-health-sleep-1/

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DeeDeePee said:

I am addicted to Excedrin Extra Strength and Excedrin Migraine.  

Is this a figure of speech or have you actually been overusing/misusing these for a while now? (no judgement, btw) 

Rebound headaches are a very real and very, very terrible thing to deal with and if you are/were legit addicted to this medicine, you could be in for a rough ride. :(  You might need to see a doctor as this is generally not something you would want to fight through on your own.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rebound-headaches/symptoms-causes/syc-20377083

Hello! I am new to the forum and have completed my first Whole30 at the beginning of March. My experience was incredible! I lost 17 pounds during those 30 days and had a heightened sense of happiness and energy. My positivity was through the roof!

I have been following the Whole30 rules as close as possible throughout the next month (and I've lost an additional 12 pounds)... the main exception being some alcohol on the weekends and a couple chia puddings last week. These past two weeks (which would be week #8 and #9), I have felt more lethargic and have been experiencing dull headaches. I'm not sure if it's the once- a- week drinks and chia pudding that is affecting me? Should I go back to the pure Whole30? I've been drinking 70-100 fl oz of water and trying to keep sugar to a minimum (fruits). 

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thanks! @whole30_hannah on Instagram

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, WHOLE30_HANNAH said:

Hello! I am new to the forum and have completed my first Whole30 at the beginning of March. My experience was incredible! I lost 17 pounds during those 30 days and had a heightened sense of happiness and energy. My positivity was through the roof!

I have been following the Whole30 rules as close as possible throughout the next month (and I've lost an additional 12 pounds)... the main exception being some alcohol on the weekends and a couple chia puddings last week. These past two weeks (which would be week #8 and #9), I have felt more lethargic and have been experiencing dull headaches. I'm not sure if it's the once- a- week drinks and chia pudding that is affecting me? Should I go back to the pure Whole30? I've been drinking 70-100 fl oz of water and trying to keep sugar to a minimum (fruits). 

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thanks! @whole30_hannah on Instagram

I wouldn't suspect so but you can try a couple weeks without and see how you do. Also, when is your period? Our menstrual cycle (week leading up and first couple days of bleeding) often gives different symptoms and results. You might not be eating enough if it's around that time?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, WHOLE30_HANNAH said:

THANK YOU @ladyshanny ! I did wonder if it could be period related. My period was last week, when the headaches started. I read somewhere that sometimes you need to eat more calories during that time (not sure if that is accurate). 

You betcha it is!  Sometimes we get stuck in "this is what I do" but at certain times you may need to eat more. The first couple days of bleeding I tend to eat less and it also fluctuates around ovulation. 

Archived