Compliant pumpkin breakfast bake

Michelle12

So, I'm doing great and eating tons of veggies, but I'm really struggling with breakfast. Meat and veggies is just too heavy to face in the mornings, and eggs every day is a no go. I would LOVE to do some breakfast bakes that incorporate the eggs and veggies into a sort of casserole, but I don't want to get into SWYPO territory. Help me know how to define that. If I whip up three or four eggs with some coconut milk, a mashed banana, and a cup or so of canned pumpkin with cinnamon and bake it for breakfast that would be SO MUCH easier to face. But would I just be recreating pumpkin pie or some other crutch? Is that a problem? What would be the downside?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Ya, that's going to be a no from me.... The reason that your body is willing to accept something sweet and 'baked' as opposed to last nights leftovers is because your hormone levels may be out of whack... the only way to get around that would be to plate a template breakfast, eat from it as much as you can and then wrap it up and take it with you to eat from again as soon as you're able.

Your breakfast items don't have to be 'heavy' tho... What about chicken salad with some fresh veggies?  What about a nice veggie and protein filled soup?  You can look for a thread on here from some time ago through googling 'whole30 lets talk non traditional breakfast' and that should come right up. 

As far as the actual thing you described, that's in SWYPO territory, the downside of which besides being against the spirit of the program is that you don't actually fix the problem of the hormones... 

I love blended soup in the morning. Something like Mel Joulwan's golden cauliflower soup is warm and savory. Pair that with some lighter protein like chicken breast and it's a good, compliant, filling meal that doesn't venture off into having sweet baked things for breakfast. 

Thank you for the replies! So I will forego the "sweeter" breakfast alternatives. (Glad I asked.)

SugarcubeOD, what I'm hearing is that the best way to reset or adjust my hormones is to eat template breakfasts? And then my morning repulsion from veggie/protein filled breakfasts will go away? I would love to know that at some point my desire for my "healthy" smoothies or my homemade bowl of oatmeal will recede and I'll want the savory stuff. (I'm on day 10)

Thanks again!

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Michelle12 said:

Thank you for the replies! So I will forego the "sweeter" breakfast alternatives. (Glad I asked.)

SugarcubeOD, what I'm hearing is that the best way to reset or adjust my hormones is to eat template breakfasts? And then my morning repulsion from veggie/protein filled breakfasts will go away? I would love to know that at some point my desire for my "healthy" smoothies or my homemade bowl of oatmeal will recede and I'll want the savory stuff. (I'm on day 10)

Thanks again!

Yep, that will happen! I always use my husband as an example because he was a hard-sell on going towards leftovers and more "dinner" type foods for breakfast. He was a cereal eater, toast, smoothies, instant oatmeal etc. It took.....a couple of weeks of consistently eating Whole30 style breakfasts. Sometimes he couldn't get through them although he did try. When he realized how much better he felt on a protein, veggie and fat breakfast vs straight sugars/carbs, he never looked back. Sometimes we have waffles on the weekend and he notices a HUGE difference in how he feels. It's sad though because waffles aren't really a treat anymore when you realize how crappy they can make you feel.

Anyway, yes, you'll get there but the only way to train yourself on savoury Whole30 style breakfast is to eat savoury Whole30 style breakfast. ;) 

Archived