Realized I'm Histamine Intolerant

Hi all! I've got a good Whole30 story, I believe. I'm on Day 26 of my second Whole30. I felt great at about Day 11 and then starting feeling worse and worse. Headaches came back and bloating/constipation and itching and slight hives, nausea, insomnia, all not so fun stuff. Anyhow, the headache got so awful this week that I wound up in the ER yesterday. They gave me a drug cocktail of Benadryl, Tordal (for pain), and Phenergan (for nausea). I felt weird at first and slightly anxious and then it made me really out of it and I got discharged and sent home and slept last night for 13 hours, which I really needed after the insomnia nights recently. On one of those insomnia nights, I did some research online and suspected (now confirmed because my headache is gone) that I am one of the 1% that is histamine intolerant. I had been eating copious amounts of spinach, avocado, leftovers with meat, tomato, among bananas and coconut. I believe the extreme headache (a migraine - which I've never had before this), was caused by eating all these foods and a stressful lifestyle as I have four young children and am on call 24/7 as a birth doula and am starting an online business. I am now going to change my Whole30 to the low histamine version and stay on it for awhile longer to feel better. I am a bit perplexed as to what to eat, but I will continue to look for recipes that are low histamine Whole30 compliant. This histamine intolerance explains SO much about past issues I've had such as allergies, constipation, upset stomach, itching, hives, insomnia, anxiety, etc. I hope this post helps someone out there! Here is the article that helped me.

https://www.judytsafrirmd.com/histamine-intolerance-gaps-and-low-carb/

7 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Hi, @arrowbirth127 - I don't know if you stumbled across this in your research, but this article has some tips for eating low-histamine, and it's from a paleo/Whole30 perspective:  https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2015/09/26/what-is-histamine-intolerance/  

Thank you, @ShannonM816! This is super helpful. Much appreciated. 

Archived