Reintroducing alcohol free beer

Hi everyone, I'm on day 17 and currently feeling so bad that I'm not sure there will be a point to doing my reintroduction, but let's stay positive.

I'd like to reintroduce alcohol free beer, as it's one of my favourite drinks. Obviously it hasn't got alcohol in it, but it has got gluten, so I'm not having it on W30. But now I'm wondering - should I include this on my gluten reintroduction day? Or would it perhaps be handier to do one day on which I have three or so alcohol free beers spread over the day, then two compliant days, and then my gluten reintroduction? I suppose beer doesn't contain as much gluten as bread and pasta, so I would like to know whether there's a difference in how they make me feel. But obviously I don't want my reintroduction phase to take another 30 days :P.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Christine H said:

Perhaps I should add that I probably won't be doing an alcohol reintrodution, as I generally don't drink alcohol. Or would it still be better to reintroduce it, to at least know how it makes me feel?

Anything where you are even slightly curious about how it makes you feel is a worthwhile reintroduction. :) I would not use the beer to test gluten overall though. Do the beer as a seperate entity.

Thanks for your reply, ladyshanny!

As for the alcohol free beer - would it be advisable to have an alcohol free beer with every meal on that day, or would it be better to have them in between meals? With the meals they could dilute my stomach acid, but in between meals they could spike my blood sugar because they have got some sugar in them. :huh:

It's more useful to know how your previous/preferred intake of a food/drink affects you though.

If you would normally have only one alcohol-free beer on a Sunday afternoon between meals, then that's when you should test it out, rather than having way more than you want in situations that might never occur.

If you sometimes have it with food and sometimes without and you think that your body might react differently in those circumstances, then maybe plan for two reintros, 1 in each situation, so that you know for sure. 

I just wanted to expand a bit on what I said above. I've never quite understood the concept of introducing, for example, multiple types of legumes on one day. I know that chickpeas make me bloated and gassy the next day, but if I introduced them on the same day as peanuts, for example, I wouldn't know if it was the chickpeas or the peanuts, as the reaction is delayed. Spoiler: it's always the chickpeas! 

So in your alcohol free beer example, if you have 2 drinks without food, and then a few hours later have 2 drinks with food, and that night you feel rubbish (your blood sugar is whacky, you have a headache, etc), you might not know if it's because of situation a, situation b, or just because you had 4 serves in total when you'd normally only have 2. That's why I suggested the two reintros. Obviously if you have immediate symptoms, it's pretty obvious what's caused it, but even then you'd have to wait a few days to try in the other situation to see if it were the drink or the drink with no food.  

Archived