How much eat during Whole30 while breastfeeding?

Mamas - can you please share how much (portion, size, frequency) of your Whole30 meals while breast-feeding?

I am an active mama nursing a 10 month old. and exercise 6x per week. - I know I'm way overdoing the nuts/nut butter and fruit but it's so easy and satisfying when I at home with a busy baby! What tools or strategies do you find helped you?  The typical Whole30 meal template doesn't feel reasonable.  Help, please!!!!

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, A Butler said:

Mamas - can you please share how much (portion, size, frequency) of your Whole30 meals while breast-feeding?

I am an active mama nursing a 10 month old. and exercise 6x per week. - I know I'm way overdoing the nuts/nut butter and fruit but it's so easy and satisfying when I at home with a busy baby! What tools or strategies do you find helped you?  The typical Whole30 meal template doesn't feel reasonable.  Help, please!!!!

If you poke around in this subforum about doing Whole30 while breastfeeding you'll find much of the information you're looking for as it's all been talked about at length.  We recommend that breastfeeding women eat at least 4 meals a day - all related to the template, not fruit and nuts on their own which is going to do nothing for your satiety, nutrition or sugar dragon if that's an issue for you.

Spend some time researching on this forum before we type everything out all over again and you can have a read through this article too

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://mamas.whole30.com/dear-stephanie-whole30-breastfeeding-2/&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1523387897289000&usg=AFQjCNGSmzTOjYvMHR6oAZJj1gwjhQyGLg

Hello! I am also a breastfeeding mama (I've been nursing since November 2011, when my first was born, which is just crazy to me!), my youngest is 19 months old. I don't know how much protein etc I eat but for me the biggest thing I can recommend is FAT. When I focus on eating TONS of good fat (especially ghee, ghee makes me happy, and I also add collagen and coconut cream to my tea/coffee) I don't get those horrible blood sugar drops and I stay full for hours.  I also love homemade mayo. Really low sugar/carb and tons of fat is the way to go for me, I've found. And I work out 4-5 days a week, too :)

I am a first time mom and have been on my breastfeeding journey for about 4.5 months now. I haven't seen a decline in supply at all since doing Whole 30 while BFing. I was worried about this, but I feel like my supply has regulated even better to suit my son's needs. He seems less cranky feeding. He was sensitive to a lot of things I had in my diet prior to start this round. I feel like having a less inflamed body is helping my system do what it needs to do more efficiently. 

I aim for at least 1,800 calories like the book recommends.  I still am losing unwanted bloat & fat, but remaining satiated enough to keep nursing all day long. 

I try to up my FAT intake like the previous member stated- lots of ghee, avocados, olives, and fatter cuts of grass-fed and pasture-raised or wild meats. 

I limit the fruits because that is a trigger for me to over-carb-sumption. I do feel like i need more carbs than when I wasn't pregnant/breastfeeding so you may want to up your healthy carbs- i do sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, squash, zucchini noodles, and I do make smoothies full of healthy veggies, berries and add in coconut oil or collagen protein + superfoods/herbs to up the vitamin and mineral intake :) (i know that those are no-no SWYPO for most people, but they work wonderful for me, a mom on the go). 

Best advice i got was- "Don't be afraid of eating MORE than you think you need" and 4 - 5 small meals instead of 3 big meals. Good luck, mama!

Archived