Day 1- Carb flu questions

KateV

So I took the leap and started the Whole30 with my husband.  It's 8pm and I am craving some cheese and crackers hard core! Drinking iced green tea to keep my mind off of it and studying for my exam tomorrow.

I'm really really REALLY nervous about this "carb flu".  I am a medical student and my whole career depends on my performance in classes and rotations.  I know in this case the ends justify the means, but how "foggy" am I going to feel?  Will I still be able to function? Any way to soften the blow?  

• Moderators

Be sure you're eating enough -- at least three meals a day that meet the meal template. (Download the template here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)

Most people feel best if they have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, and some people who are very active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, and those in the week or so leading up to their period may need more than that.

Ideally, you'll be able to easily go 4-5 hours between meals, but if you are hungry between meals, it's fine to eat. Try to have a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables or at least two of the three, not fruit on its own, and try not to eat mindlessly throughout the day. Also, don't forget pre and post-workout food on days you work out.

Additionally, be sure you're drinking plenty of water and salting your food.

Archived