Hot Tea Recomendations

Timcom

I am a week and a half into my Whole30 challenge and I believe i am doing very well.  I am looking for some drink substitutes and trying hot teas.  Can someone recommend some good hot teas.  I like fruit flavored teas mostly.   I tried some teas from the local health store and they taste like twigs and dried leaves.

Can you recommends some popular teas at the local grocery store i can try?  What should i look out for?

Thanks

• Moderators

You're probably going to just have to go to your local grocery store and look around to see what's available and what's compliant. Even for teas recommended here, by me or anyone else who comes along, please read the labels on the ones at your grocery store because sometimes different regions of the country get food from different suppliers under the same brand names, but there can be differences in recipes, so what's compliant in one area, may not be in another.

Celestial Seasonings has several compliant versions. I'm liking the Watermelon Lime Zinger right now, although I'm drinking it iced not hot. I'm sure it would be good hot as well. I also like orange flavored teas, like Good Earth Sweet & Spicy and Tazo Wild Sweet Orange. If you want to branch out from fruit flavors but still not get that grass & twigs taste, Stash brand has a Double Spiced Chai that I like with a little coconut milk, although I think of that more as a winter thing. 

• Moderators

If you make your own mayo, changing the oil you use (light tasting olive oil or macadamia nut oil work well), the acid you put in it (lemon juice, lime juice, or different kinds of vinegars), and even seasonings you add can totally change the taste. Even if you're buying mayo, you can mix in different spices -- maybe look for a dill blend for more of a ranch flavor, or mix in garlic or onion powder or even fresh or roasted garlic.

To drink, try infused water -- put any kind of sliced fruits or herbs into a pitcher of water and let it sit in the fridge overnight and you'll have fruit-flavored water.

Have you checked out the recipes on www.meljoulwan.com? She uses tons of different spices, you might get some good ideas there to change things up a bit.

• 3 months later...

Archived