DellaNova's Whole30 Log

Della Nova

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you feel better!

Thank you! I felt better after lunch, but unfortunately my digestive system hasn't quite normalized. Other nuts have never had this effect on me though, so I probably just need to avoid pecans from now on :( . Yesterday had it's up and downs, but Meal Three and relaxing at home made it a pretty good day! I'm learning things from this experience, that's for sure!

Day 23: (holy crap I can't believe I've made it this far!!!)

• 6:00 - 6:10 AM: Woke up by the alarm, but really didn't want to get up due to crappy sleep.
  • Meal One: 6:30 - 7:00 AM: Ate leftover quiche
  • 8:10 AM: My digestive system still not quite happy with me or at the place it should be, but not as bad as yesterday morning. Hopefully I'll be able to focus more on work today.
  • Meal Two: 11:00 - 11:30 AM: Ate wonderful leftover Sweet Potato and duck. I wasn't hungry at all most of the morning, but at 11 AM I was starving and happy for food.
  • Meal Three: 6:00 - 6:30 PM: I attempted to make "Fish Sticks" with sliced almonds, coconut flakes, and coconut flour, but the "breading" didn't stick together and my cod fell apart. Not only that, but my attempted Kale-Persimmon salad didn't taste good (too much of the harsh bitter "kale-taste" for my liking, despite the fact that I used lots of citrus vinaigrette and massaged the kale). Pretty much a fail dinner. At least it satisfied my appetite.
  • 10:00 PM: Went to bed on time.

Day 24:

• 6:30 AM: Technically woke up when the alarm rang at 6, but I had my husband turn off "clocky" so I didn't get out of bed, lol.
  • Meal One: 7:15 - 7:35 AM: Despite the late start, I made NomNomPaleo's Sweet Potato Hash and Fried Eggs. It was very tasty and the fried eggs came out perfectly! Such a lovely and satisfying way to start the day!
  • Meal Two: 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM: I stayed satisfied throughout the morning and was only moderately hungry by lunchtime. I ate leftover Sweet Potato, a bit of leftover chocolate chili, and some smoked salmon for lunch.
  • 4:30 PM: I wasn't hungry all afternoon, until about 4PM when I started thinking, "oh, I haven't been hungry all afternoon" and then 10 minutes later....BAM!...now I feel hungry, lol. I'm trying to hold off until dinner...but may end up having a snack.
  • 5:15 PM: Ate the last piece of leftover quiche as a "mini-meal"
  • Meal Three: 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM: Ate delicious spaghetti-squash with a meat sauce that a pre-made earlier in the week. I also added lots of hot sauce and ate a ton of it! (one and a half plates)
  • 10:15 PM: Went to bed.

Day 25 (holy moly 5 more days!!! omg omg omg! *faints*)

• 6:00 AM: Jumped out of bed to get clocky, but felt bloated most of the morning and not too hungry (perhaps due to all the carby-veg I ate yesterday?)
  • Meal One: 7:15 - 7:30 AM: Still forced myself to eat breakfast, although it was just a light sea-veggie soup. Beef broth, kombu pieces, dulse pieces, and 4 poached eggs (broken up in the soup) with some fish sauce & coconut aminos for flavor. It was a warm way to easily get some nutrients in for the morning.
  • 9:30-9:45 AM: I was concerned about a 2 hour meeting from 10-12, which is when I usually get hungry (plus, I know there will be cookies and other refreshments there), so I pre-snacked on the last of our smoked salmon. I knew that soup wouldn't keep my satisfied through this meeting; hoping my pre-snacking will keep my resolve solid.

Day 28

I'll do a quick backtrack from the past couple days....

Struggles: Oddly, near the end of Day 25, I really really felt like giving up. I'm not sure why, but my body was craving for my old comfort foods. I was incredibly close to buying chocolate, or going out for thai noodles, etc. My husband offerred to cook dinner and made some great burgers. I smothered them in homemade mayo and this made me feel better.

Saturday Date-Night: I made the Thai Chicken Meatza from the "Stuff I Cook My Husband" blog. It tasted good, but not as good as a regular beef meatza, plus, it ended up sticking to my aluminum foil. Not as a fancy restaurant style like I wanted, but still tasty.

Sunday cook-up:

1. Breakfast stuffed-bell peppers
  2. Kalua Pork (NomNomPaleo) with Sauerkraut - LOVED IT!!!
  3. French Hot Plate (ala Well Fed Hot Plate suggestion)
  4. Salisbury Steaks & Gravy (EverydayPaleo blog)
  5. Sweet Potato & tuna scones (don't knock it'til you try it) - mine burned, but still taste good
  6. Velvety Butternut Squash (Well Fed recipe)

Today is the first day of my new job - yay! But I've still been keeping on track.

1. 6 AM: woke up on time.
  2. Meal One: 6:30 - 6:50 AM: Ate 1 stuffed breakfast bell pepper; decided I'm not too fond of eating that much bell pepper, lol.
  3. Meal Two: 9:30 AM - 9:45 AM: I only meant to snack on my leftover Kalua Pork & Sauerkraut, but it was so tasty that I ended up eating all the leftovers I brought!
  4. Meal Three: 12:30 - 1:00 PM: Official lunchtime. I ate a few Sweet Potato Tuna scones (originally meant as a backup mini-meal).

Congrats on the new job! Do you have a recipe for the Sweet Potato Tuna scones? They sound....strange yet intriguing.

Thank you, and sorry for the late reply.

Here's the recipe for the scones: http://thecreativecaveman.com/sweet-potato-tuna-scone/ (I doubled the recipe and estimated the measurements).

They sound really weird, but actually turned out to be delicious! I didn't have an ice cream scoop though, so mine turned out to be more cookie/biscuit shaped. Anywho, I will probably make them again sometime!

It's finally over!!! After we do grocery shopping on Saturday, I will reintroduce butter into my diet.

This month had its ups and downs, but unfortunately more downs than I wanted.

Negatives:

1. I lost too much weight. I was trying to maintain or gain weight. I have felt like I have eaten more on the Whole30 than I ever have before, and even at times I was sure I would gain weight and was eating too much, but I stayed off the scale.

1. When I got on the scale this morning, I was at 104 LBs, and that was before a BM, so I imagine it's actually less than that when my system is clear.
    2. I am afraid that if I continue on this path that I'll just waste away, despite eating until I'm full for at least 3 meals (including the snacks).

[*]Bowel movements still are not as regular as I was expecting. I still experience what feels like IBS-related pain sometimes.

[*]Acne is still occurring.

[*]Sugar-related cravings, especially for chocolate are still very strong.

[*]I did not received the expected energy boost.

Positives:

1. There has been an improvement with my IBS symptoms, even though not to the degree I expected.

[*]Acne has lessened a bit, although not as much as I wanted.

[*]I don't crave granola bars/"fruit" snacks/junky candy. However, I still want to drink fruity drinks sometimes and definitely want alfredo noodles/chocolate/caramel/cheesecake.

[*]I am cooking better than I ever imagined.

1. I honestly consider my biggest success to be the cooking.
    2. Never in a million years did I expect to be cooking and make the delicious food that I have been making.

[*]We didn't spend too much extra money on restaurants (although I missed them dearly)

1. Only ate out once with my mom at Chipotle, and a couple days ago at a Steakhouse called Lonestar.

[*]I actually made it a month without drinking. After my 21st b-day, I started consuming alcohol at least once a weekend, so I'm surprised that I did so long without having any alcohol. And even though I think about it sometimes, I really don't want any more.

[*]I have greatly expanded my palate and broken past my food-phobias.

Overall, it was a good experiment.

Future Plans

1. Reintroduce foods, little by little in a controlled, scientific method; always allowing at least 3 days between.

[*]After reintroduction period, follow Paleo-diet according to what my body tolerates. If my body tolerates cheese, I will include cheese in my recipes.

[*]Add in honey, dark chocolate

[*]Try to stay within the 3 meals pattern, but probably will be adding in mini-meals/snacks, as I don't want to loose weight.

[*]Try to stay within the palm's protein/rest of plate veg meal plan

[*]Start exercising...I don't have money for a gym (especially not for a crossfit gym), but at least I could start bodyweight exercising/hiking/bike riding/zumba, whatever it takes to get active again.

2. I.e. butter, wait three days, cheese, wait three days, cream, wait three days, milk, wait three days, ice cream, wait three days, small piece of bread or other gluten, wait, etc...
  3. The goal is to figure out how certain foods affect me. I am not sure if I will also attempt an elimination of nuts or nightshades.

I have been significantly less bloated
For the first 2-3 weeks, I was regular...not sure why the regularity stopped.
Only puked once on the 3rd. If I make it past Feb 3rd without vomitting, I will consider that a success.

Archived