Eating disorder causing problems

Hello everyone!

I've almost completed a Whole30 before (made it to day 25!) and I would like to give it a second shot and do it the proper way this time. My first Whole30 attempt involved a lot of overeating of compliant foods. I don't know why I feel the urge to eat so much. I don't know if it's an actual hunger or if it's just because I have cravings for sugar and I can't satisfy them. 

I have a history with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating; in that order) and I am really hoping that Whole30 helps me improve my relationship with food. My struggles are mostly with sugar, it's my kryptonite. When I was struggling with anorexia and bulimia, I wouldn't allow myself desserts or sweets, and now it seems like I have no control over myself when it comes to it. It's like I restricted so much that I literally FEAR not allowing myself to have it. But it's only with sugar. I'm only 18 (19 in a few days) and I've struggled with some sort of ED since I was 15 (probably even before that), I'm just looking for some way to finally improve my relationship with food and not need/want it for any reason other than FUEL for my body.

I turned to the Whole30 not only to help with my relationship with food, but to also help me discover my food intolerances and help heal my digestive system. My eating disorders completely messed up my digestive system and I seem to have some sort of negative reaction to almost EVERY food I put into my body. 

I'm hear asking for advice.... and guidance, I suppose. Do you think Whole30 is the right plan for me? How do I overcome the urge to binge on compliant foods and just food in general? Does anyone else struggle with the same thing? How do I finally learn that I don't need sugar in order to have a happy life? Should I do a Whole30 for longer than 30 days?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, or if anyone here can even help me, but I figured I'd give it a shot. So thank you in advance!

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, BlueEyez said:

Hello everyone!

I've almost completed a Whole30 before (made it to day 25!) and I would like to give it a second shot and do it the proper way this time. My first Whole30 attempt involved a lot of overeating of compliant foods. I don't know why I feel the urge to eat so much. I don't know if it's an actual hunger or if it's just because I have cravings for sugar and I can't satisfy them. 

I have a history with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating; in that order) and I am really hoping that Whole30 helps me improve my relationship with food. My struggles are mostly with sugar, it's my kryptonite. When I was struggling with anorexia and bulimia, I wouldn't allow myself desserts or sweets, and now it seems like I have no control over myself when it comes to it. It's like I restricted so much that I literally FEAR not allowing myself to have it. But it's only with sugar. I'm only 18 (19 in a few days) and I've struggled with some sort of ED since I was 15 (probably even before that), I'm just looking for some way to finally improve my relationship with food and not need/want it for any reason other than FUEL for my body.

I turned to the Whole30 not only to help with my relationship with food, but to also help me discover my food intolerances and help heal my digestive system. My eating disorders completely messed up my digestive system and I seem to have some sort of negative reaction to almost EVERY food I put into my body. 

I'm hear asking for advice.... and guidance, I suppose. Do you think Whole30 is the right plan for me? How do I overcome the urge to binge on compliant foods and just food in general? Does anyone else struggle with the same thing? How do I finally learn that I don't need sugar in order to have a happy life? Should I do a Whole30 for longer than 30 days?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, or if anyone here can even help me, but I figured I'd give it a shot. So thank you in advance!

Welcome!  An eating disorder is a really difficult thing, i'm sorry you've been going through that.  Whole30 has been known to both help people with their ED and to also trigger dormant ED as well as exacerbate and active disorder.  That's not something we'll be able to tell you unfortunately.  Are you seeing a counsellor or therapist for your eating disorder?  While relationship with food is definitely a component, eating disorders can be significant mental health issues that need specialized help.

I think given your desire to change your relationship with food, that if you also seek counselling and really resolve the issue at the root, then the Whole30 would probably be a great tool for you!

If you decide to do it, take a read of an article titled 'Whole30 Gone Bad'.  You can google to find it, I can't link here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello BlueEyez, 

Ive struggled with ED for almost 20 years. I had the same EDs as you but in the opposite order. It took me many hospitalization and 4 intensive treatment to finally reach a place where I can say Im recovered. I know what youre talking about the need for sugar and binging its a normal reaction when you go to one extreme you eventually find yourself to the other extreme before finding somewhat balance. So due to the fact you restricted on sugar then the normal reaction is that you wont have enough of it and it takes a while before you can find balance. At least that was my experience. I would say it probably took me 2 years before I could really feel I had found balance in my eating habits once I stopped having restrictions or compensatory behaviors. I just started the whole30, I am on day 6 and I decided to do it because I felt strong enough and just like you I wanted to change my eating habits for the better. Im still seeing a psychologist specialized in ED and told her about the program even though I knew she wouldnt really appprove but I felt like I could do it without relapsing and told her so I made sure I had a safety net. So I would definately reconmand you to speak to a professional and to really be honest about where you are on your ED journey. Recovery takes a long time. I wish you the best! 

Archived