Reintroduced gluten - how long do the aftereffects last?

selene1123

I just finished my second round of Whole 30 on March 30th and it went great! Lost 10 lbs and had a ton of NSVs (migraines went away, fewer GI issues, energy level went up).  Now I'm doing a "slow" fast track reintroduction - instead of reintroducing a food every 3 or 4 days, I am just reintroducing a food on Saturday of each week, and eating super whole 30 the rest of the week.  Rice reintro was the first for me and it went okay - I had a headache that night and the next day but no tummy issues or other problems.  This past Saturday I reintroduced gluten/wheat ( some pasta with a compliant marinara, whole wheat bun with a turkey hot dog), and I have been sick ALL week! My stomach has been unhappy, my energy has plummeted, and I gained 5 lbs from Saturday morning to this morning :(

Is it usual for the aftereffects to last this long? I figured I would feel crappy for a couple days at most, but it's been almost a week. And all the meals I made after Saturday were meals I had in March during my 30 days and never had a problem. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

• Moderators

Everyone's reactions are different, but it sounds like gluten is something that really doesn't work for you. If you think it might be something else -- a stomach bug or bit of food poisoning or something -- you could do the wheat reintroduction again and see what happens. Whatever you reintroduce next, don't reintroduce until you're feeling better so you know for sure what is reaction to the reintroduced food, versus what is already happening.

• 2 months later...

Selene1123, how long did it take for you to get over the I'll effects and did you figure out if it was the food or something else? I'm on day 8 after reintro with legumes and still not feeling good. Wondering if it is possibly the food still or something else.

I would also like to know how long the ill effects take before they get better. I finished my first Whole30 on June 25 and did the fast-track re-introduction by the book, finishing on July 8. I had a fairly strong reaction to dairy day (cramps the next morning, stuffy nose) but that cleared up quickly. Three days later I tried gluten and felt terrible the next morning. I've now felt terrible for over a week, with a sour stomach every day (bad enough for me to miss work in some cases). I'm also very plugged up. I'm back to eating almost entirely Whole30 (with less worry about sugar in sauces and with one slug of cream in my one coffee a day) and I still feel gross. That does not seem normal to me, especially given that I never seemed to have stomach issues before the Whole30. Any thoughts from the moderators or other people experiencing something similar?

The upset stomach and the congestion could be separate. For me, dairy makes me more congested. You may not have had much reaction after having it for one day, but keeping cream in the coffee every day could add up. Even if it's not that, it is better to leave the cream out of your coffee at least until reintros are over. It could make your results confusing.

I'd say eat 100% compliant until you feel good again. Of course, you could have a stomach bug, so perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order?

Archived