Everything Got Better - Cholesterol Got Worse

I've been really happy on the Whole 30 (I'm on month 3).  I feel fantastic.  I'm sleeping better.  I'm losing weight.  Many of my health annoyances (Hashimoto's, arthritis, etc..) are improved.  My blood work is improving, EXCEPT....my cholesterol.  It's gone up.  Both overall and the LDL have gone up (and HDL has gone down).  I've never had a problem with my cholesterol and I've eaten fatty foods my whole life, so it's a bit of a shock that it's all of a sudden a problem when I'm actually eating healthier.  Yes, I'm having bacon, but I've always eaten bacon.  Ditto eggs (though admittedly, I'm eating a few more of them on Whole30).  If anything, I'm eating less fatty meats and cream sauces because dairy isn't allowed and some fatty things just don't taste as good without wine to digest them.  So what gives?  Any theories on why my cholesterol would all of a sudden be taking a bad turn?  (My sister is having the same exact issues, and likewise she's never had a cholesterol problem before starting the Whole30.)  I want to continue on the Whole30, but I don't want to follow a course that's going to get me put on another medication...  Is it the coconut milk? Is it the lack of wine?  Please tell me it's the lack of wine ; )  Seriously, has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did you find the culprit? TIA

• Administrators

As I understand it, @szunshine, it's temporary. Weight loss releases the fatty acids into your bloodstream, thus giving you a higher reading of LDL and a lower reading on HDL.

This article is pretty good at explaining it: https://www.canadadrugpharmacy.com/blog/why-weight-loss-can-make-your-cholesterol-levels-go-up/

• 2 weeks later...

My cholesterol has gone up almost 20 points,  just got the numbers now.  I stopped Whole30 today 5 days earlier b/c I was not feeling good.   I have always been skinny and with this maybe lost 3 pounds and quite frankly don't want to lose weight , that was not my primary goal.    I had read that for many people their cholesterol had decreased  and even anxiety & panic attacks.  Mine both got worse.   I feel defeated.

Did yours go down eventually?  Did you monitor it?  @szunshine

Archived