New to Program today and struggling already

Bootsie1947

Hi, Ive been planning this for two weeks; today is the start day and I am overwhelmed by what I have to buy that

I will never use in the future.  I had my black coffee (think I'll try tea), and fixed boxed egg whites, spinach, tomato, onion and salmon stir fry.

I feel fine; but the recipes in the books are just not what I like to each and won't so I am trying to make up my own with some struggles.  I don't want to buy coconut milk, or flower or paleo sausage or make fresh mayo but I am guessing that I just might have to.

Is there a forum for newcomers like me to talk to and work with?  I don't want to quit before I start.

Bootsie1947

What do you like to eat that you could adjust to make compliant? Give things a try, but don't eat anything you don't like - who want's to live that way?!

I don't use coconut milk much (makes me bloated), and I have no idea what paleo sausage is (I live in South Africa, "paleo" is barely a thing here), so it's certainly not something that you have to buy! And use whole eggs, rather than boxed egg whites, it's much more tasty! 

My  meals are honestly really simple (probably boring): Scotch eggs, grilled chicken, roast vegetables, avocado, olives, mayo (yes, homemade - I've not seen any compliant dressings here, but it takes less than a minute, so it's not a hardship), shredded pork made in the slow cooker, salads, etc.

Both the Food and Recipe forums will have lots of ideas and feedback for you, and if you post in Join the Whole 30, you'll get lots of advice and encouragement.

That's totally something I would eat, but make sure that you're eating enough (and much more vegetables or salad), or you'll be hungry and miserable. 

If you don't want to buy things like coconut aminos, then don't - sure you can make some nice stir fry sauces with it, but if you're OK with just salt and pepper seasoning, or some chilli flakes or whatever, you can totally get by without it! That stuff is expensive (and hard to find)!

I hardly ever cook recipes, because I'm lazy and I just don't care that much. Don't make it too complicated for yourself. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Bootsie1947 said:

Hi, Ive been planning this for two weeks; today is the start day and I am overwhelmed by what I have to buy that

I will never use in the future.  I had my black coffee (think I'll try tea), and fixed boxed egg whites, spinach, tomato, onion and salmon stir fry.

I feel fine; but the recipes in the books are just not what I like to each and won't so I am trying to make up my own with some struggles.  I don't want to buy coconut milk, or flower or paleo sausage or make fresh mayo but I am guessing that I just might have to.

Is there a forum for newcomers like me to talk to and work with?  I don't want to quit before I start.

Bootsie1947

You definitely don't need to buy any of the 'convenience' foods that are available these days.  Back when the Whole30 first started and when I did my first one (in Canada so we didn't have a lot of convenience options until the last year or so) there wasn't paleo sausage and coconut aminos.  You don't even really need to make 'recipes'.  Check out www.meljoulwan.com.  She's a friend of the Whole30 community and she's got lots of good ways of doing prep so you're making a bunch of meat and veggies and then you can put them together in any way you like... for instance if you feel like spicy mexican one night, then you just take a portion of the meat and veggies and put the spices you like on.  Stirfry, sheet pan meals (there are LOADS of recipes online for Whole30 sheetpan meals), crock pot items, instant pot if you have it.

From how you've mentioned your meals in this thread, it honestly doesn't look like you're eating enough.  I suggest taking another look at the template and seeing how your meals match up and then bumping them up where necessary.  You may feel fine for a day or two undereating but nutrition is cummulative and the most common troubleshooting threads are where the participant is not eating enough over a few days and they start to feel the effects of that so lets try and ensure that doesn't happen for you ;) 

This is the forum for newcomers - we intentionally have the forum set up so that there aren't silos of new people and advanced members because the help you're looking for will come from people who have been down this road before.  Feel free to ask any question and usually within 24 hours tops (but often WAY sooner), you'll get a response.  You can also search the forum using google (our inhouse search function sucks), so if you had a Can I Have question for instance, you could google 'whole30 can I have popcorn' and you'd get an answer so sometimes you don't even need to wait for someone to respond as all the info is here :)

Don't quit, the journey may be tough but it's 100% worth it!

I've also made really simple meals. Scrambled eggs with a side of asparagus with melted ghee. Burgers dipped in mayo/mustard with a side of roasted sweet potatoes and carrots. Chili with guacamole and a big salad full of veggies. Cold leftover chicken breasts with a side of cold string beans with salad dressing. Sausages sauteed with Brussels sprouts with some extra oil drizzled on top. And I eat full plates so I won't be hungry!

I modified a few recipes I already had, like leaving the beans out of the chili and the breadcrumbs out of the burgers. I made the sausages in the book and they were super simple - like making little pork burgers. The only "fancy" recipe I tried was Melissa's Chicken Hash which I really liked.

I did buy a few special things. Chicken apple sausage - tasty but too pricey for me so I doubt that I'll be buying it again. Ditto the paleo bacon - I don't need bacon that much! Ghee, mostly to make eggs. I did buy prepared mayo and salad dressings because I don't have a stick blender - or any blender. I also don't have an instant pot or food processor or spiralizer so I don't do anything that I can't do with a knife and cutting board, oven and stove.

It has been very simple. The only complicated thing has been feeding the rest of my family at the same time!

Thanks for all the replys. I need to make dinner but am postponing it as so much prep.  I have to cook shrimp oven bake green beans cook a sweet potato. 

I bought slivered almonds to sauté to add flavor. I can’t eat as much as they make per meal. But I did drink a glass of silk almond milk and that was a good in between. 

Elizabeth

Hey ladies, it’s me Bootsie, my grandmother name. Well I’m on day 5 and only issues I have now is lack of sleep. I wake every two hours at night to pee or just walk up. I had to use a sleep aid last night and finally got 5 hours uninterrupted.  I have been so tired for two days. I hired a coach who recommended I try the bullet coffee ( made with butter and coconut oil) better tasting than my no sugar black coffee. I’ve tried nut butter creamer , almond milk but so far my lack of using sugar I miss the most. 

Me meals are mostly hamburger, veggie and sweet potato or cauliflower rice which I bought frozen. 

Hard boiled egg with a 1/4 tsp ghee butter and butter of avacado on top of egg for breakfast. 

Tuna fish on salad for lunch with veggies. Fish or chicken or burger at night. Looking forward to week two in hopes I can sleep better and energy. 

I feel I eat plenty and more than I normally do. Elizabeth 

Archived