Reintroducing Legumes

I began whole 30, not for weight loss, but rather because of stomach pain... Before whole 30, I would eat a homemade Ham & Bean soup with no pain...

Yesterday, I started reintroducing legumes and had some of said soup... However, by the end of the evening, I wound up with such pain in my stomach and I felt so sick! The only difference to the recipe -- I used dried beans instead of canned.

Even though the beans were soaked overnight, and were cooking for hours and hours, the beans never really softened. Could this be the reason I had the stomach pain? Perhaps my stomach couldn't digest the beans because they were not soft enough??? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

~ Sheri

• Moderators

That's definitely a possibility, or the beans may have been causing stomach pain before but because you weren't isolating ingredients to test them, you didn't make that connection. 

Go back to Whole30 eating until you feel good again, and then if you want to know for sure if beans are a problem, do another reintro day of them, and make sure you have some that are thoroughly cooked. 

Archived