Started yesterday!

Jenn McMellen

Hey everyone! I learned about the Whole30/Whole9 through a friend of mine at the local CF box. I have Hashimoto's Thyroidosis as well as complications from it (achilles tenditis, plantars faciitis) and injured myself while doing sprints back in June. I kept at CF for awhile but then was told I has to stop altogether to heal. Since stopping I have gained weight and feel less than stellar. I am trying this for the second time (first attempt was a failure) and REALLY want it. After all of the success stories I have read about how this way of living helps autoimmune diseases, I am hoping I can stick to it and reap the benefits! So far my biggest obstacle has been my morning coffee... I want it so bad, but I know if I have it I will put sugar in it, so I leave it alone. Another hurdle for me is that I love the calorie dense nut butters, nuts/seeds and fruit. Finding a way to easily add veggies to my diet has been a challenge. I welcome any ideas, support and advice!!

Thanks!

Hi Jenn! Good luck on your second go - sounds like you are prepared and really want to make it work this time! This is my first time around, and I'm only on Day 2 - it's already been tough. Like you, I love sugar in my coffee. A friend suggested mixing in a little coconut oil, which I tried, and liked. It gives just a hint of sweetness, a nice flavor, and the fat from it helps satiate you. It may be worth a try - it's not the same, but could work for 30 days! :) Let me know what you think if you try it!

Mary

Hi Jenn. I have Hashimotos as well and was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 23 years. I started experiencing some real change when I stopped eating gluten 2 years ago. In fact, my "fibro" just up and vanished! From there, I was on a quest that led me to a more Paleo diet, then finally the Whole 30! I have done two Whole 30s in 2012, and -- YES -- this has totally changed my life. If you haven't already, I recommend that you check out stopthethyroidmadness.com or their corresponding facebook group. That was definitely the first step in my journey. Long story short -- completely debilitated to feeling great in a span of months! Welcome!

Hello! Good luck.

I just wanted to say that I have been a cream and sugar/sweetener girl in my coffee all my life, but I have been drinking my coffee black for the last week and after the first couple days, I really got used to it and can drink it black now, which I NEVER thought I would be able to do. It may be worth a try (or the coconut sounds really good too!).

Thanks for the replies! The coconut oil may be something I try. It sounds pretty good! SO far day one and two were good. Now on day three and feeling ok so far. I cannot wait to feel the full benefit from doing this! WEightloss would be nice, but more importantly, I want to feel better and take care of myself!

Hi Jenn. I have Hashimotos as well and was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 23 years. I started experiencing some real change when I stopped eating gluten 2 years ago. In fact, my "fibro" just up and vanished! From there, I was on a quest that led me to a more Paleo diet, then finally the Whole 30! I have done two Whole 30s in 2012, and -- YES -- this has totally changed my life. If you haven't already, I recommend that you check out stopthethyroidmadness.com or their corresponding facebook group. That was definitely the first step in my journey. Long story short -- completely debilitated to feeling great in a span of months! Welcome!

I "like" them on FB already! Pretty good site! I also "like" Mary Shomon Thyroid advocate and "Thyroid Sexy" Both are great for Hashi or any thyroid disease info :) All have recommended to be gluten free and more or less, the paleo lifestyle as well.

Archived