Keeping a food log with Whole 30

I've been semi-strict paleo for the past year or so, and now just starting day 1 of my first whole 30. I've kept a food and workout log where I detailed out calories, grams of protein, fat, and carbs for the past 2 years ever since I started working out and changing my lifestyle to lose weight.

Anywhere I look on these forums, it seems writing down what/the types of foods you eat might be beneficial, but NOT to do any sort of calorie counting or macro-nutrient counting. I really enjoy looking back at what I eat and making conclusions based on how I feel/what I ate/etc. I also used it to make sure I was getting enough protein for optimal muscle growth and strength building.

Are there any official rules on this one? Am I still allowed to write down the foods I eat?

Thanks!

Hi Mariah,

Yes, keeping track of what you are eating, creating a log or journal, is a good thing. As long as you are following the guidelines for how to fill your plate, there isn't any value in counting. You are recording all of the info you need just by writing down what you ate.

Fill your plate according to the plan, and stop eating when you are satisfied.

Archived