Longer reintroduction this time around

jrroz

This is probably covered in many posts, but I am not really finding it well.  I did a whole30 a while ago with a 1 day introduction and was never really able to pinpoint all of my bloat, gas and other intestinal issues that clear up when I am doing it.  (I know dairy is an issue, but that can't be the only one because I don't eat that much on a normal basis).  My current theory is just to extend the number of days I am reintroducing certain foods to 2 or 3.  If anyone has had this issue, is there a number of days that seem to be consistently long enough?  I don't want to do 2 if it can really take 3 or so. 

Also, I don't really eat a lot of legumes either, but I am wondering if soy could be a sneaky culprit as well.  Any suggestions would be good, as I am willing to let this process take as long as needed but don't really want to turn it into another 30-45 day process.

Thanks.

• Administrators

You can definitely extend your reintroductions in order to pinpoint sensitivities. 

To be clear, you mean to eat the reintroduced item for 2-3 days and then rest your system on Whole30 for a few days and then try the next thing? Often things are "dose dependant" so this is a good way of determining if you have issues that may not show up with just the standard reintro.

Sorry, I hit send too soon.  Here was my thought.

2 days - add non gluten grains

3 days - normal whole 30

2 days - add gluten

3 days - whole 30

If I don't notice anything, then I guess I will do soy, as it seems almost anything in a restaurant has soy in it.  Hopefully that gives me some more info.

• Moderators

Yes, this is fine -- three days of Whole30 eating will hopefully be plenty of time, but if you don't feel 100% at that point, delay further reintroductions, just so you know that any symptoms you're having are a result of the reintroduced foods, not leftover from the stuff you were reintroducing before, if that makes sense.

Soy is definitely in all kinds of things. I had to restart a Whole30 once after I found it in some tea. Tea! Why was there soy in my tea? (I might still be a tiny bit bitter about that.) So it makes sense to find out how you react to it so you know whether it's something you want to avoid completely, or if it's okay in small amounts occasionally.

Archived