Snacking question

Hi guys, I'm working on my post-Whole30 lifestyle and have a question about snacks.

I finished up my round of Whole30 and realized I had lost weight, to the point of becoming underweight. I also saw an increase in my migraines if I got even mildly hungry, and my doctor suggested that I may not be eating ENOUGH food.

Problem is, I'm both a pretty small person and have digestive issues that mean I can't sit down to a huge meal three times a day -- I often can't finish huge meals and if I do, my stomach regrets it. 

I know we aren't supposed to snack "if we can help it," and I think I'm at the point where I can't help it -- I have to eat more during the day, and I really can't do it all at once. So with that in mind, how long should I space out my meals/snacks? Every three hours? More? I've read It Starts With Food and appreciate that my hormones need the time to reset after every meal, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

I wouldn't put a set time on it but eat a protein + fat or protein + veggie "mini meal" when you feel you need it. By putting a timeline on it you likely remove your own feedback loop. Some days you might need it and some days you might not.

I would also make sure that your regular meals have ample fat included as that is what gives you the duration between meals.

Archived