Meal times pre and post workout

rockystamper

I’m new to Whole30 and just in the stage of getting a menu together so I can start (4/23). What I’m having a bit of trouble with is I’m confused on the pre/post workout  & normal dinner  meals??? My workout is from 5:30-6:30pm. When would I schedule my third meal??? Could the third meal be either my pre or post workout meal???! Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

BTW, I tried searching but it’s a little overwhelming for this newbie-I’ll get there tho ;)

• 4 weeks later...

@rockystamper - I find that it really depends on your specific situation and what kinds of workouts you do. 

For me, I do pretty intense CrossFit sessions and if I were to eat right before, it would not be pretty. So I tend to have a smaller 'meal' about 1 hour before my workouts and eat my 3rd meal within 1 hour of finishing. This keeps my hunger at bay later in the day and gives me the energy I need to work out without feeling too full, and after the workout, I get to have my full recovery meal.

A few ideas for pre-workout ideas are: eggs and guacamole/avocado, chicken sausage and some nuts, turkey meatballs with whole30 mayo ( = I usually combine some protein with a healthy fat) 

After your workout, you can then fuel up with some protein and carbohydrates.

But this is just what works for me... hopefully, this helps a little. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2018 at 4:12 PM, ladyshanny said:

Post workout is in addition to your regular meals and is typically eaten within 30-ish minutes of the conclusion of your workout.

I’m used to having a protein shake right after my workout. What are some acceptable options that I can throw in my workout bag? I’ve been relying on RxBars but I know those are suppose to be used as “last resort”

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Schwich said:

I’m used to having a protein shake right after my workout. What are some acceptable options that I can throw in my workout bag? I’ve been relying on RxBars but I know those are suppose to be used as “last resort”

We recommend lean protein and starchy veggie after workout. Chicken breast and sweet potato or egg white and winter squash etc. Any sort of bar is only permitted in emergencies and the fat/starch profile on them isn't what is recommended for workouts as the fat slows protein absorption and the fruit replenishes liver glycogen first when what you need is muscle glycogen replenishment.

Sounds like I need to pack my “lunch bag” before my workouts so I’m prepared. I, unfortunately, have gotten so used to the convenience of protein bars and shakes. But, being that I’m only on day 3 (and feeling good) I still have plenty of time to break that habit. Thank you @ladyshanny 

Archived