Day 23 and no gains

MBMN

I am wrapping up day 23 and there has been no positive from the experience other than hangriness, excess gas and being cold more often than usual.  The only rule I have broken was weighing myself and my weight is exactly the same.  I have cut out all alcohol, sugar, breads and dairy and there have been zero rewards.  I want to make it to 30 to finish out the commitment, but is it possible to have NO benefits as of day 23.  What have the last 23 days been for?

I was a pretty clean eater to begin with but had a few glasses of wine a week. I have no health issues so I just wanted to see if any benefit would come.  So far, none!  Not even a pound lost!  I don’t get it!

• Moderators

We can give you better feedback if you tell us in a little more detail what you've done. Did your meals follow the meal template? If you were hungry a lot, you probably need to tweak the size or composition of your meals, as you should be easily able to go 4-5 hours between meals. (Download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)  Were you drinking plenty of water? Adding pre- and post-workout meals when necessary? Salting your food to taste? Adding fat at every meal, in addition to what you cook in? Eating plenty of vegetables, both starchy and non-starchy?

Here's an article with a few more thoughts on why Whole30 might not have worked for you:  https://whole30.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/

That’s the thing!  The did follow the template.  I mapped out meals and snacks for two week stretches at a time, using recipes from the Whole30 cookbooks, without deviation.  I drank plenty of water (I tried one of the cucumber fizzy recipies but wasn’t a fan) and I read the why it isn’t working multiple times along the way.  None of the possible culprits fit my scenario.  I am not going to extend beyond 30 days if I’ve followed things accordingly and seen zero results.  My sleep, poop, complexion, fit of clothes, energy level, you name it...nothing has changed!  I didn’t really issues in the first place, but I thought a restart would be good and I may lose  few pounds along the way.  I didn’t have high expectations but thought there’d be something!

In fact, when I read the day by day what to expect, I had three zits of day 16 - the time “you’ll notice your complexion improving” - (my skin is usually clear)!

Most of all, common sense just baffles me.  How can I give up all sugar, dairy, bread and alcohol and see no change?  How can that be?  I guess I am an anomaly.  I still plan on finishing the next six days, but I’m frustrated.  I followed the rules through Easter, Birthdays (my own included), dinners and lunches out with friends and colleagues (I brought my own food). I spent my spring break essentially cooking and doing dishes to best prepare.  You’d think there would be SOME benefits from the sacrifices.

MBMN,

I am feeling your pain and am going through the same process. Day 17 and no change on the scale or my clothes. However, I am always tired and sleeping close to 10 hours a night! Never had issues with sleeping before the Whole 30.

4 hours ago, MBMN said:

That’s the thing!  The did follow the template.  I mapped out meals and snacks for two week stretches at a time, using recipes from the Whole30 cookbooks, without deviation.  I drank plenty of water (I tried one of the cucumber fizzy recipies but wasn’t a fan) and I read the why it isn’t working multiple times along the way.  None of the possible culprits fit my scenario.  I am not going to extend beyond 30 days if I’ve followed things accordingly and seen zero results.  My sleep, poop, complexion, fit of clothes, energy level, you name it...nothing has changed!  I didn’t really issues in the first place, but I thought a restart would be good and I may lose  few pounds along the way.  I didn’t have high expectations but thought there’d be something!

In fact, when I read the day by day what to expect, I had three zits of day 16 - the time “you’ll notice your complexion improving” - (my skin is usually clear)!

Most of all, common sense just baffles me.  How can I give up all sugar, dairy, bread and alcohol and see no change?  How can that be?  I guess I am an anomaly.  I still plan on finishing the next six days, but I’m frustrated.  I followed the rules through Easter, Birthdays (my own included), dinners and lunches out with friends and colleagues (I brought my own food). I spent my spring break essentially cooking and doing dishes to best prepare.  You’d think there would be SOME benefits from the sacrifices.

I would still suggest listing out exactly what you've been eating even if it follows the template. There are some foods that even though they are w30 approved cause bloating and gas for some people. Also, you might just need a few tweaks to the template to improve meal composition so that you're staying fuller longer! 

Archived