Can’t have this!?


agamacat

Recommended Posts

I found a recipe that adds eggs to sweet potato for a breakfast bowl but was told that although it has compliant food it’s a no go.  

I’ve been  eating  breakfast and lunch at my desk  at work and traveling every weekend for tournaments.  The only item that was compliant at the last hotel was a banana.  I brought my breakfast bowl and put 2 large strawberries and a sprinkling of cashews on top and drank 1.5 cups of bone broth.  I found the bowl too sweet and only ate maybe 3 tablespoons of it, but it did keep me full along with the broth for 3 hours.

I can see how this could be a substitute for porridge but porridge isn’t my thing and I rather had to work on swallowing due to texture.

  I haven’t finished the books yet.  Can someone explain the reasons why this is not a good food for a meal?  Is it just a bad meal for breakfast?

 I really need food that travels and I can eat fast and easy until this ridiculous rush is over.  I started whole 30 in spite of the craziness because I needed to do something.  Is there a good reason for banning this kind of food or is it more if it is a trigger food for some?  

AAE3275B-3D60-4A30-AE95-AF75727F8EBB.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

There are certain items that are specifically called out as not being okay, even if the ingredients are all compliant -- banana pancakes or banana ice cream or any commercially prepared chips for instance. Other foods, like these porridge type things, are not specifically called out as being against the rules, but they're not the best choice for you. There can be a couple of different reasons something isn't a great choice -- it might be SWYPO (https://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/) meaning a substitute for a non-whole30 food that is just never quite as satisfying as the real deal, or it might just not be in line with the recommendations for getting the most out of your Whole30 (https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

When you're thinking about your meals -- any meal, breakfast, lunch, or dinner -- you want it to meet the meal template (which you can download here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)  Eggs and sweet potatoes can do that, but to get enough protein, you'd want as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4, plus you'd need to add some fat to the meal, and maybe some extra veggies. For many people, this faux-porridge type of breakfast is their way to keep having the sweet stuff they're used to for breakfast rather than really working on changing their habits. 

As far as easy, portable breakfasts, there are tons of recipes for breakfast casseroles or fritattas or egg muffins that you can make ahead and eat hot or cold. You can make soup, have sausage or salmon patties or meatballs or hamburger patties, or just leftovers in general. Pack up a salad the night before to take with you. Really, anything you eat at any other meal works for breakfast, just figure out what sounds good to you. Here's a discussion of non-breakfasty things that people have actually eaten for breakfast: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I switch this meal to lunch but add veggies?   I can appreciate getting out of the habit of a sweet food for breakfast.

The protein in 1.5 cups of bone broth is equivilent to 1.5 eggs and there are 1.5 eggs or so in that serving size.  There is a fair amount of ghee in it.    It's not my trigger food (SWYPO) food - I'm a texture girl - I don't like mush (no mashed potatoes or grits - shudder), but it's food.  I found that the only way I could eat it was with a bite of berry or a bite of nut or the texture made me gag.  But it's a whole food and it travels well.  I have several other things that travel well, but I'm packing food for 3 days at a time with several unknowns that I have to anticipate.

Of course this would totoally be SWYPO if I put it on a waffle maker;-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, agamacat said:

So if I switch this meal to lunch but add veggies?   I can appreciate getting out of the habit of a sweet food for breakfast.

The protein in 1.5 cups of bone broth is equivilent to 1.5 eggs and there are 1.5 eggs or so in that serving size.  There is a fair amount of ghee in it.    It's not my trigger food (SWYPO) food - I'm a texture girl - I don't like mush (no mashed potatoes or grits - shudder), but it's food.  I found that the only way I could eat it was with a bite of berry or a bite of nut or the texture made me gag.  But it's a whole food and it travels well.  I have several other things that travel well, but I'm packing food for 3 days at a time with several unknowns that I have to anticipate.

Of course this would totoally be SWYPO if I put it on a waffle maker;-)

 

Why don't you form it in to patties and fry them before you leave home? They'd be much more palatable then your "mush". But yeah, add some greenery in there for a more rounded meal - even at breakfast I'd think that would be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GoJo09 said:

Why don't you form it in to patties and fry them before you leave home? They'd be much more palatable then your "mush". But yeah, add some greenery in there for a more rounded meal - even at breakfast I'd think that would be fine.

Hmm, that's an idea.  I am just trying to make a variety of whole foods that fill my stomach.  Last week I took chicken salad, salmon and this sweet potato bake along with berries and an apple and tons of veggies and my salad dressing.  Unfortunately I had to throw out the chicken salad because I didn't want to get sick from the mayo and I wasn't sure it stayed cold enough.  I was able to eat a salad with shrimp at a resturant with my own dressing. 

On a tournament weekend I just don't know when or where we're going to go out to eat and what will be available and like to have as many choices as possible so I can roll with the punches when the time comes.  My food bag is so heavy - and then I also carry a knife and cutting board - lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, GoJo09 said:

Why don't you form it in to patties and fry them before you leave home? They'd be much more palatable then your "mush". But yeah, add some greenery in there for a more rounded meal - even at breakfast I'd think that would be fine.

That is treading way too close to pancakes for my liking...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

That is treading way too close to pancakes for my liking...

I don't like fat pancakes, so that never even occurred to me - I was thinking they'd be more like salmon cakes (but without the salmon...). Such a fine line!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 8:20 AM, agamacat said:

Unfortunately I had to throw out the chicken salad because I didn't want to get sick from the mayo and I wasn't sure it stayed cold enough.

Contrary to popular belief, commercially prepared mayo doesn't go bad quickly. The vinegar in it acts as a natural preservative. When you hear about people getting sick from potato salad at picnics, the potatoes are a lot more likely to be at fault than the mayo.

If the chicken salad was kept at normal room temperature -- 70 to 75 degrees -- it should have been perfectly safe for at least four hours.

Here's a NY Times article that mentions, among other things, that common food poisoning bacteria grows more slowly in foods containing mayo than in foods that don't.

If you made the mayo from scratch using raw eggs, then it would be a concern. But, if you made the chicken salad with store bought mayo, it should have been fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 12:13 PM, cscaos said:

Contrary to popular belief, commercially prepared mayo doesn't go bad quickly. The vinegar in it acts as a natural preservative. When you hear about people getting sick from potato salad at picnics, the potatoes are a lot more likely to be at fault than the mayo.

If the chicken salad was kept at normal room temperature -- 70 to 75 degrees -- it should have been perfectly safe for at least four hours.

Here's a NY Times article that mentions, among other things, that common food poisoning bacteria grows more slowly in foods containing mayo than in foods that don't.

If you made the mayo from scratch using raw eggs, then it would be a concern. But, if you made the chicken salad with store bought mayo, it should have been fine.

Homemade mayo and possibly longer than 4 hours.  But thank you for the info - it's good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.