Food Freedom Reset 4/23/18

MissEmilyRae

Hello!

My name is Emily and I will be starting my 3rd Whole30.  My first was almost exactly a year ago, and my second was the #JanuaryWhole30.

This program has been amazing for my relationship with food.  I've been "on a diet" since I was 10 years old and the Whole30 was the first time in my life that I wasn't counting calories in the back of my mind, or ending a "good week" with a binge.  Throughout February and March of this year I was living my food freedom and feeling amazing.  Once a month I would step on the scale and was happily surprised.  I never wanted the feeling of freedom to end.

But then Spring Break came and my very picky-eating step-kids stayed with us for the week.  I made the decision to eat kid-food for the week so they were happy and I didn't have to make separate Whole30 meals every day.  I trusted myself to get back to my food freedom plan after they left, yet here I am two weeks and carba-palooza later feeling like poop, suddenly unable to resist the break room donuts or anything that resembles pasta.

Thankfully, the food freedom book prepared me for this. I'm recognizing that I need a reset, so that's exactly what I'll do.  Next Monday, April 23rd, I'll begin another Whole30.

Thanks for reading :)

Hi Emily may I join you? I’ve completed several successful whole 30s ( and failed to complete 2 if I’m honest. Last ditched attempt was last October when diagnosed with thyroid cancer and the world went a little crazy. Now had surgery x2 been on a sofa since Dec, eaten any food the wonderful church family delivered or my husband cooked - not a vast veg fan but has been awesome- and coming back to it all a stone heavier but cancer clear. I’ll take that!) 

Ive read Whole 30 from cover to cover this weekend and my w30 daily arrived yday, butter is clarified, mayo& burgers for freezer breakfasts waiting to be made and frittata planned. Scared I can’t do it again and will crash and burn again but my successful times have been hugely helped by these forums and the wise moderators. So I’m going to do my darnedest. I’m still not brilliantly well and body is not enjoying not having a thyroid but a good diet and good gut has to be a good place to start. Husband has agreed to join me this time but wants me to do all the thinking. But having him on board should be very helpful and curb some of the off plan shopping. 2 daughters at home still so can’t clear kitchen but have managed before. 

You sound v impressive! I’ve not managed food freedom yet but know I have to eat better every day (I’m a bit food scitzophrenic) as cancer has been a bit of a wake up call. 

Lets do this!

Hi!

First of all, congratulations on kicking cancer's butt!! I think YOU sound v impressive!!

I would love if we did this together! I'm no doctor, but from all of the testimonials I've read I'd bet a Whole30 reset would definitely aid your body's recovery.

I also bought the W30 day-by-day book. I think tracking my NSVs will help me stay motivated. Usually by the last week I'm just going through the motions and not paying attention to how I feel, which might make day 31 less gratifying.

Tell me about your freezer breakfast! My BIGGEST challenge is breakfast. By day 7 I'm so sick of eggs and I have to force myself to scarf down protein in the morning.

By the way, you can TOTALLY finish this round. I think it's safe to say that you've done much harder things in the past year alone, so you are way too strong to let this defeat you. 

I look forward to chatting with you more!

- Emily

Hi Emily why thank you! I feel a bit of a fraud actually as I hardly  had any symptoms and felt fine -until the treatment! But yep good to be through it and moving onwards. Many thanks for encouragement. You’re right this is small fry compared to this last year - just dying to start now. We’re out for lunch tomorrow and I hate being the ‘I can’t eat....’  dinner guest so waiting till that’s done. I really need to go thru the if this then that scenarios so my head is prepared too. 

Breakfast - yep!! Not yet dreading eggs but I know it will come! So .....I make a batch of burgers (beef mince, with chopped onion , garlic, and add eg  grated carrot, grated courgette and seasoning and squish all together with some seasoning and an egg or 2 and (as the veg release moisture when cooking ) either a tablespoon or 2 of chai seeds or ground almond to make a bit firmer. Then I oven cook and freeze and move from freezer to fridge the night before so in the am I microwave and serve with a fried egg on top with any left over veg or leaves and usually mayo. 

My mate revolutionised my breakfast by saying that every day she had half a baked sweet potato with bacon ( easy to find compliment in the U.K.) and egg and leaves.  Yummy! And all enhanced by the red pepper sauce from the book.

To grab and go I make what is essentially frittata in silicone muffin cups and do the freezer trick again. Very flexible recipe and forgive me if I’m teaching my grandma to suck eggs but I do fried onions/leeks/ garlic/peppers/ plus if you fancy it cooked crispy bacon or ham plus chives or other herbs (I miss the tastiness of cheese) / cubed cooked sweet pot etc etc. Then I put a good dessert spoon  of the mixture into each muffin cup and beat 6-9 eggs (for 12 muffins) with a splash of almond milk and 1 tablespoon ground almonds to stop being overly moist  and bake for about 20 mins. Don’t think it’s  ‘paleo bake cheating ‘ and I find it easier to transport than frittata. I have 2 or 3 (you need a few) with a little pot of olives for fat or cuc slices if having a bullet proof coffee for fat). 

Whole 30 book fish cakes are also great for breakfast and freeze well. 

This may be the longest post ever!! Let’s blast breakfast this round. Great to share ideas!  

Off to bake burgers! 

Wow thank you for all the suggestions!! The breakfast burgers sound perfect, I'm excited to try those!

I also just ordered a silicone muffin cup sheet on Amazon (thank goodness for 2-day shipping). I tried the mini frittatas before, but I made the mistake of using a metal muffin sheet which was horrible to clean after.  Sugar-free bacon was on sale today at my grocery store, so I grabbed 5 to put in the freezer! Maybe eggs won't be so bad with a slice of bacon...

Let me know if you come across any kid-friendly recipes! My step-kids are used to their dad and I eating Whole30, but I feel like they get bored of meat and potatoes (they hate pretty much all veggies so I have no idea what else to make for them).

Golly that sounds challenging! How old? My kids like the frittata muffins as long as they’re tasty. When they were little I used to blend spinach into all sorts of things so maybe you can do green muffins?! Suspect would be too soggy tho unless you added a bit of cocoanut flour to soak up moisture( I think that’s ok to do as long as not just using loads of it in place of flour). 

What about blended veggie sauces on meat? The red pepper sauce is really nice ( I use less vinegar and capers so not so sharp. I roast peppers and toms onion and garlic and blend with oil and water to thin and you could hide all sorts in that! Wd be nice with home made chicken nuggets - get them to help - dipped in egg and almond flour or blitzed crispy pork rind. Mellisa Joulwan ( or something like that) has a nice scotch egg recipe too. Edging towards comfort baking but good for visiting children! 

Tomorrow we go! Best of luck! I see you’ve joined the other thread too -shall we reconvene over there? 

Hi there!  I’d like to join you!  My first W30 was two years ago and I’ve been aiming for 80/20 paleo lately.  But I woke up this morning feeling bloated and thinking “I can feel better than this.”  

I follow the Whole30 template much of the time but really like flexible eating to help my binge eating tendencies.  Less restriction works for me.  But last week was I noticed that cravings for sugar and wheat have a hold on me again. That’s not freedom.  

I want my food to make me feel GOOD again.  I want the tiger blood!  I also need a lot of support.  I am alone at home in my desire to eat this way.  I can tell you stories... 

Side note: I bought the Whole30 Fast and Easy cookbook recently after falling in love with it at the library and I’d highly recommend it.  It inspired me to try this again.  

Well I hope everyone’s day is off to a good start   Cheers!  

Nicole

Hey, Id like to get in on this, is this the group for the April 23rd start date, NOT newbies?. This will be my second "real" whole 30, and Im getting on here to make sure I stay true to that! I used the forum every day the first time around which was August 2016. I did great! It was tough for sure, but not only did I stick it out, I kept going afterwards on a modified version and really felt great. Weight loss wasn't my main goal, but i wanted to shed the extra 5 pounds i was carrying around, and I did that, and then lost even more. I think i lost 8 pounds in total. However, skip forward to now, and I am 10 pounds over my starting weight from last time. I gained a whole bunch after some very stressful times last winter and spring, where i started this devil-may-care approach to what i did with my body. And I gained back the 8 pounds i had lost, and then another 15. So Yuck. I have lost 5 of those pounds by just not being a maniac (ok by not drinking every night), and i need to really restart everything. Ive tried to do W30 many times since then, and I have never committed to it fully since the first time in August 2016. So, its time again. So far so good. 

We have a group! @AmyRosina Oh the maniac tendencies, they get me every time, haha.  Trying to change that.  

@CherylA  yes to that mindset.  

@MissEmilyRae glad you started this Andy

@britgirl you are so prepared,  I’m inspired.  My books are out too.  

Whats cooking today?  We’re grilling chicken (him) and blistering green beans and cherry tomatoes in the big skillet (me).  Bread for the kids.  I’m a little hangry.  Day 1 is easy it’s Night 1 that will be interesting.  I have to change a few habits.  

@Nira81 hi! We need to hear those stories.....and what’s good about that cookbook?

i WAS prepared but now husband and a daughter are joining in we’ve already scarfed a good proportion of it! Day one and I’ve already washed up a mountain of gadgets and considering another 3 meals tomorrow. I seem to remember this gets easier as you go along but Fast and Easy is sounding v appealing! 

Hope all has gone well for you all. I’ve enjoyed no food guilt today. Day one tick. Yeah! 

Amyrosina hi! You can do this! We all can if we support each other thru the tough times.  I’m going to do the backward count on the kitchen calendar in large red pen so if I drop out the shame will be too aweful to endure! I’ll post a picture when I’m done. My way of committing. 

5 hours ago, AmyRosina said:

Ive tried to do W30 many times since then, and I have never committed to it fully since the first time in August 2016. So, its time again. So far so good. 

Hi, I’m happy you’re here!

This is my 3rd Whole30 now. I completely agree that commiting 100% is the key to success. I feel like if we say things like “I hope I can finish” then we’re just giving ourselves an excuse to fail before we even start!

I hope everyone had a great day 1!

I missed my usual bowl of cereal, but I could already feel the differnce of having a nutrient-dense breakfast. Looking forward to that Tiger Blood....

13 hours ago, Nira81 said:

I bought the Whole30 Fast and Easy cookbook recently after falling in love with it at the library and I’d highly recommend it.  It inspired me to try this again.

YES!! The Whole30 Fast and Easy is such a good cookbook!!

I used mini sticky notes to mark all of the recipes I could get my husband to eat (I’ll eat anything but he’s pickier). I think I have 25 recipes marked, which is a record for him. Every weekend I sit down with all my cookbooks and binder of printed recipes and flip through the marked pages and plan out my week of meals/groceries.

Hi everyone (hi @britgirl xx)

I started yesterday too. Not normally on forums much but I have a headache today so needed a bit of a boost. Am currently drinking Pukka liquorice and peppermint tea, which is SO sweet and helping a bit. 

I did one full Whole30 a couple of years ago, which was fab - felt amazing by the end and lots of symptoms disappeared, esp hay fever. Have tried a few times since but never as successfully as the first time. Started sneezing a bit last week so have some motivation to try again. Am a bit gutted I'm feeling rough so quickly though!

What have you all eaten today?

Clare xx

Good afernoon, Day 3-ers!

I hope everyone is making it through the hangover phase alright!  I think "Kill All the Things" came a little early for me. I was so snappy that my husband was afraid to speak to me this morning... oops :)

Last night's dinner/today's lunch was sheppard's pie! Tonight I'm making a thai chicken salad.

I look forward to your updates!

Hi all how’s it going?

I’ve felt completely ghastly today - possibly low calcium ( I had calcium control issues post surgery and am on meds to help uptake it ) so if it doesn’t improve   I’m going to need to rethink. It seems you need a lot of greens or salmon compared to dairy and I’m trying not to scarf back nuts. I can just supplement calcium but I had such issues with bouncing calcium I’m not keen to. Any ideas mods?? 

Hope you’re all surviving and making up with estranged spouses! 

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, britgirl said:

Hi all how’s it going?

I’ve felt completely ghastly today - possibly low calcium ( I had calcium control issues post surgery and am on meds to help uptake it ) so if it doesn’t improve   I’m going to need to rethink. It seems you need a lot of greens or salmon compared to dairy and I’m trying not to scarf back nuts. I can just supplement calcium but I had such issues with bouncing calcium I’m not keen to. Any ideas mods?? 

Hope you’re all surviving and making up with estranged spouses! 

No one here is a doctor, and this is a pretty specialized concern, so I don't know how much help any of us can be. It may be something that you need to talk to a doctor or nutritionist about.

This explains the Whole30 stance on calcium:  http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/ -- if I were looking to make sure I was getting enough, I would look into not just the things that contain calcium, but also the nutrients mentioned in that article that help the body absorb and use the calcium in those foods. So for instance, it doesn't matter if you're taking calcium tablets by the handful every day (not that you should or would), if you're not getting any vitamin d3, your body isn't going to be using all that calcium, which I would imagine would have the same effect for you as not taking any at all -- although again, I'm not a doctor, so this is something you might want to research yourself or talk to a nutritionist about. 

Archived