Anyone else starting 4/21??

Vanessa_

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vanessa and Homesoil, Im starting Saturday and would love to keep in touch to stay accountable. I have done one round before but that was in 2016 around the same time of year and I felt amazing after but all my bad habits are back and so it the weight and all the other things that go along with not eating right for my body.

I live in Australia so dont have access to a lot of the things Americans have but I live on a farm and have our own eggs, home kill meat, some fruit and veg and honey.

Hey Homesoil and luluqld-

I’d love to stay in touch. So luluqld, you did this once and lived to tell the tale - always a good thing!

I’ve planned out my first week of meals and I’m heading to the grocery store tomorrow to stock up!

Hey Vanessa!  Good look on your Whole30.  I'm starting mine tomorrow and I'd love to stay in touch.  Living alone is a mixed blessing, I think; I have no one else's dietary needs to consider, but there's also no one to keep me accountable for what I buy.  This will be an adventure.

Hi Vanessa, 

I struggled through my first round as I was over thinking everything and made it too difficult. I tried following meal plans and tried lots of recipes from the book but for me it’s easier to stick to the basics and just eat what I have and know. I also had a teenager at home then so still had to make some separate meals, now it’s just my husband and myself and he eats whatever I serve him. 

Also now there are a lot more compliant foods that are easy to buy. I live in a rural area so no Costco close by and not all brands are stocked by our closet supermarket but still there are more products around now. 

I crushed Day 1 yesterday, only had 3 meals and didn’t need snacks. Feeling great today. I did some prep, mayo, chopped some veg and have some snacks ready if I can’t make it between meals. 

Another reason I’m doing this is to take a 30 break from alcohol as I have found I’m drinking too much lately and it’s a habit I need to break.

I hope your first day went well. Give me an update 

Luluqld,

After day 1 I can see your point about the meal planning and the stress with that. I attempted three meals from the book... the eggs turned out alright!  I have a 4 yr old and a 5 year old at home. My 5 year old insisted that the spell of the veggies cooking with the eggs this morning was making him sick. I told him he better get used to it or it was going to be a long month! I made it through the morning without snacks and that surprised me. I’m trying to stop drinking coffee now too so that made for an interesting morning - especially since I used yesterday (my last pre-Whole30 day) to eat ALL the things. Really, all the things: French toast for lunch, a burger with a giant bun and fries and cornbread for dinner (and I actually don’t normally even eat that poorly!) followed by coldstone creamery ice cream with hot fudge. Oh and then after I put the kids to bed I opened a mini box of wine, and drank it all (3 glasses). It was self-loathing all the way but I are/drank it all anyway. I paid for it too. I had a terrible night of sleep and my stomach was not happy. Eating cleanly today felt like a nice change. (But a cup of coffee really would have been great.)

For lunch I tried to make the mayo to make chicken salad for the protein salad but my food processor wasn’t working so I used my ancient mixer and it looked good for awhile but ended up looking like chunky olive oil. Not sure what I did wrong. I don’t even use real mayo so maybe I’ll skip the fake mayo altogether. So I just made chicken salad with onions, grapes, and red peppers without mayo and put it over mixed greens with a side of strawberries and an orange slice.

My husband isn’t participating in Whole30 - except for dinner (and weekend lunches) since Im the cook. Tonight’s turned out alright (even though I tried the balsamic reduction, which I left cook too long and turned into a balsamic rock on the bottom of the pot). I just had roasted potatoes, onions and Brussel sprouts without it. I had asked my husband to pick up a skinless salmon filet from the store. He came home with a skin-on trout filet. I don’t think I’ve ever had trout let alone cooked it. I googled it and found a really easy recipe to pan fry it (olive oil and ghee) with garlic, fresh parsley and lemon juice. It was pretty tasty. It was also very easy so I’m thinking we’ll be seeing that one again. We also had a side of fruit. My kids pretty much just ate the fruit and the sweet potatoes. Luckily they seem to be used to not wanting to eat whatever I make - there were minimal complaints. 

I did have a snack between lunch and dinner. I was pretty hungry so I had some baby carrots with almond butter. I also had at least 4 or 5 cups of chamomile tea. Other than right before the snack I didn’t feel hungry at all. I felt full after eating but not disgustingly stuffed (like I was last night). No real cravings to speak of. I think I’ll do some veggie chopping tomorrow to make cooking go a bit quicker. Good luck tomorrow!

RedRox-

Welcome and good luck for your first day tomorrow. Let us know how it goes!!

Hi, everyone! I started Fri 4/20, so I'm a day off from many of you. Would love to buddy. I'm a pescatarian. Anyone else?

I'm doing well, including several meals out, but it's definitely easier to eat at home. I made a bunch of pieces of fish and froze them. I'm also going to make more soup. I want to have easy things on hand to relax me in case I'm too tired to cook. It's challenging not to snack btwn meals--I'm practicing feeling my feelings instead of snacking and also learning how to eat enough so as not to be physically hungry btwn meals, which has been happening. 

Hope you guys are doing well!

Marj

Im impressed you’ve already eaten out a few times. I’m definitely not ready for that. What did you order?

I did pretty well today. One small post work-out meal in addition to my three meals - just some leftover chicken salad. My need for coffee wasn’t as great this morning so that was good. I prepped some stuff this afternoon to hopefully make the week run more smoothly. I made extra chicken hash and soup too so I can have those for lunches in the next few days. I’m really wanting to snack now and I’m fighting it. I had an early dinner so maybe I’m hungry but I think it’s more of a “I just want to eat something” feeling. 

hi all

Vanessa, Marj K, rusrach, Redrox

Day 2 was fine, I did have a headache but no cravings and found it easy to make it through the day. today is day 3 for me and I have some severe sugar cravings. going on. 

Vanessa, not sure what happened with your mayo, I make mine in my thermomix and it works every time. Try watching a youtube clip. Why are you cutting coffee? I only have one cup a day and drink it black anyway so not a problem. 

4 hours ago, Vanessa_ said:

Marj

Im impressed you’ve already eaten out a few times. I’m definitely not ready for that. What did you order?

I did pretty well today. One small post work-out meal in addition to my three meals - just some leftover chicken salad. My need for coffee wasn’t as great this morning so that was good. I prepped some stuff this afternoon to hopefully make the week run more smoothly. I made extra chicken hash and soup too so I can have those for lunches in the next few days. I’m really wanting to snack now and I’m fighting it. I had an early dinner so maybe I’m hungry but I think it’s more of a “I just want to eat something” feeling. 

Thanks! I went to something again tonight and drank lemon seltzer all night while people ate. I ate beforehand though. I think part of it is my meditation practice--it's helping a lot. Part of it is also finally wanting to up my self-care routine significantly. 

I totally relate to what you're saying about the "I just want to eat something" feeling. I miss snacking and crunching. I just had apple with almonds and sunflower seed butter for that very reason, but I was also a little hungry, physically. 

luluqld,

I am giving up coffee because I think the caffeine may be affecting my digestive system - one of the reasons for doing whole30 for me is that I think there are many things that affect my digestive system and I can't figure out what it is - trying to see if coffee is the culprit.  I miss a hot cup of coffee (with lots of milk) though.  I have been trying to drink chamomile tea instead but it's not doing the trick.  This morning I decided to drink decaf English breakfast tea with coconut.  It's a different taste but not bad at all.  This might work well. I'll check out the mayo clips - not sure what I did wrong there...

Marj,

Congrats on being a Whole30 social butterfly.  I'm headed to the land of donuts (my office) tomorrow so that will be a test.  My husband was munching on a package of goldfish crackers last night while we were watching tv.  It seemed to take him FOREVER to eat them - I was not impressed.  I think the beginning of the rage stage might be settling in...

LOL, Vanessaand grrrl, I get it. My nickname in college was "Goldfish" for eating those all the time. 

Good for you for also giving up coffee...my stomach has always been pretty irritated by it...promoted acid reflux too. 

It's really great having you all here to yap with!

1 hour ago, Vanessa_ said:

lMy husband was munching on a package of goldfish crackers last night while we were watching tv.  It seemed to take him FOREVER to eat them - I was not impressed.  I think the beginning of the rage stage might be settling in...

I'm on Day 2. Last night my husband asked me if I was okay with him eating some dessert while in the same room. I said it was fine but that I reserved to right to change my mind in the coming days. LOL! I know the rage stage is coming. :D

rurach-

You are strong!  I'm fairly sure my husband wouldn't have tried an actual dessert - I'm not even a huge goldfish fan and I wanted to kick him - dessert would have pushed me over the edge!

So I managed to fight my urge to snack this morning.  I usually have one around 10:00.  I had a call with my boss at 9:30 and then decided that at 10:00 I would go for a walk to avoid the snack monster.  It worked pretty well.  Now I'm actually really hungry.  I wanted to hold off until 11:30 to eat though so I did the next best thing - come here to post about food... Alright it's 11:30 on the nose - off to get some lunch!

Good job! I'm learning how to eat enough that I don't get hungry for snacks. I think in the past I felt like I 'needed' snacks when I didn't. Often it's more of an emotional craving for me.

Speaking of, just read this cool article, btw, in case it's of interest: https://livethewhole.com/emotional-eating-whole-30/. I found this particularly helpful: 

It can be hard to tell the difference between cravings and hunger.I developed the “boiled egg test”: if you’re not sure if you’re hungry, or if you’re only hungry for a really specific food (usual carbs), ask yourself if a boiled egg will hit the spot. If not, you’re probably not really hungry. 

hi all

Vanessa, Marj K, rusrach, Redrox

Day 4 today. I just had my lunch and finished it off with an orange and omg it was so good. I dont remember the last time I enjoyed an orange so much.

Vanessa thats for the explanation on the coffee, I hope you get some relief soon.

rusrach, I actually served up some desert to my husband last night and it didnt bother me although I had probably overeaten the roast chicken we had for dinner and couldnt eat anymore. Oh the rage stage, I cant wait.

Ive just printed out a recipe for beef and broccoli from iheartumami for dinner tonight.

I had very deep sleep last night with strange dreams throughout - anyone else noticing a difference in sleep patterns?

Its a public holiday tomorrow for Anzac day woo hoo

cheers

Lulu

Marj,

I love that article - thanks for posting.  I think the boiled egg is a good one.  I think a similar test that they mention in the book is to think about whether you would want to eat white fish and green beans or something.  I think my usual answer is no to that so definitely probably just cravings!

Lulu,

I had a mandarin with lunch yesterday and felt the same way!  It tasted so sweet.  I also had some crazy dreams last night.  I don't normally remember them either so that is a change.  I slept fairly well.  My son woke me up once and my husband woke me up because he was talking in his sleep but I didn't wake myself up at all so that's good. 

Realistically, what are you all hoping to do after this with regards to eating?  Eat fairly whole30-ish forever?  Just eliminate the things that are bothering your system the most? Just kill the sugar demon?  All of the above?

@Marj K - I like that hard boiled egg hunger test. I think that's a better test for me of whether I need a snack or not than fish and green beans as that's more of a MEAL. Know what I mean? I'm also trying to figure out how much to eat. Yesterday my breakfast wasn't enough so I am adding a bit more this morning.

@luluqld - I had little pieces of orange in my curried chicken salad for lunch yesterday. SO GOOD!

@Vanessa_ - I think I will probably mainly eliminate/avoid the things that I find bother me in some way PLUS slay that sugar dragon. I have no idea what that will ultimately look like (W30ish forever?) and it might take me more than one round to figure out.

Day 3 - my shoulders and neck are SO sore! I always have problems there and would really love to get rid of that pain. There are cupcakes AND cake in the office kitchen this morning. Ugh. Yesterday it was donuts and pizza. :blink: Thanks for that, people. Thanks.

I made this for dinner last night and it was so good! My tip would be to make the chimichurri sauce the night before. https://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/whole-30-recipes-chimichurri-beef-kabobs/

Rachel

luluqld happy Anzac day! :)Re: dreams, I was up at 4am and went back to sleep. In it, I dreamed I had started to eat some cupcake and was pulling it out of my own mouth, trying to get every little crumb and worried that I was going to have to start over. Haha.

Everyone--I hear you on things tasting so good and the fruit so sweet! Cheers to that. Btw, I think you'll appreciate that I screamed "Fennel" with delight when a restaurant added fennel as a surprise. Haha. Last night made sesame crusted salmon--yumm! If anyone wants to try: http://thymeforcookingkitchen.com/recipe/fish/salmon_sesame.html

Marj - I think you would need to start over if icing touched your lips!  Sounds more like a nightmare than a dream....

Rachel - Cupcakes AND cake?! It's like someone knows and is trying to intentionally sabotage you.  Luckily I haven't seen anything too tasty around my office today.  I didn't eat enough for breakfast this morning and am already hungry.  I passed the boiled egg test (thanks Marj) so I had a snack pack of almonds that has been stashed in my drawer for who knows how long.  I usually work at home but am in the office today and on my into the building I saw that a juice bar opened up right next to the entrance of the building.  I went in to check it out.  The juices and breakfast bowls all sound super tasty (and non-compliant due to the fact that they are drinkables and/or they have granola or some sort of added natural sugar) but they did have several different kinds of lunch items that ALL looked compliant.  Fresh "noodle" bowls (seaweed noodles, squash noodles, etc.) with all different combinations of veggies and fruits.  I'm pretty excited about this.  I was going to stop at the grocery store on my way home to get some more ingredients but I'm thinking I'm also going to pick up some of these noodle dishes before I leave for lunches this week for something different.  It's also nice to know that there is a great option in the event I have a food "emergency" situation at work.

So something else happened yesterday that was situationally funny. My son woke up from his nap (he just turned four) and he usually has a small snack afterwards.  He had his snack but said that he was still hungry.  We have a rule that it is ONE SMALL snack (because otherwise my boys don't eat their dinners and then complain at 7 pm that they are hungry again).  So he literally started crying saying he wanted a yogurt.  I kept telling him no (I know, it may sound harsh but if you give an inch they will take a mile) and he started screaming at the top of his lungs "HUNGRY.  HUUUNGRY. HUNNNNNGRY. HUNGRY..."  This has never happened before.  He is not really the tantrum type but the incessant screaming of "hungry" by a toddler just seemed very fitting.  This went on four about 5 minutes.  I was going to take a video and play it every time I felt the need to snack to remind myself of what my inner-monologue really sounds like but I refrained. 

Archived