Anyone else starting 4/21??

Vanessa_

How's everyone doing today?

Day 4 for me. I brought significantly more food to work for breakfast today and that did the trick. Wow. I never eat that much for breakfast! I went to Chipotle for lunch with coworkers. I've gotten the salad with just carnitas, salsa, and guac before and it was pretty good but today's was just lackluster (they didn't give me as much meat & guac as normal). What a let down.

Also? I. Want. Sugar. I brewed some blackberry tea and have it cooling so I can put some ice in it in a bit to have iced tea. It's a bit too warm in here today to have hot tea.

Rachel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all, public holiday over and back to work. I loved reading all your posts this morning, such a good motivator to have a team to talk to.

MarjK and rusrach both of those recipes look amazing and Ive just printed them out to try thanks.

More dreams for me (thankfully not about cupcakes) and the most amazing sleep last night but this morning I was awake half hour before the alarm set for 4am and just wanted to get out of bed and get started on the day. I wear a fit bit that tracks sleep and I only average 7 hours a night as it is. Yesterday was so productive and food wise a breeze, no cravings not even ones for alcohol. I make the beef and broc for dinner and have leftovers for lunch today.

Vanessa. for me I want to (in now particular order) lose weight, stop eating crap, help my digestive system along, make this way of eating the norm and get the binge drinking monkey off my back.  And your son, too cute!

Has anyone seen The Magic Pill on Netflix? I started watching this morning, I just had it on while I was getting ready for work but gee, it really makes sense of what we are doing being on the Whole30.

rusrach, I hope your shoulders and neck improve soon. We dont have goldfish here and I had never heard of them before until a couple of days ago.

Hi, ladies! Sorry to be off the grid. Was thinking of you yesterday and too tired to write (I also need to get signed in on my phone so I can respond...they need an app and I know they are working on one). 

I'm on DAY 7!! I was so tired the last few days, so I slept a huge amount last night. 

luluqld: Watched the The Magic Pill last night--thanks. WOAH! I need to rewatch, since I was dozing towards the end. The autistic kid--wow. I know there are other films like this, but wow. 

I'm constipated for a few days--probably all the fiber. I was very thirsty (with dry skin) too, but I think that's getting better. For both those reasons, I need to force myself to drink even more water than I usually do. 

I'm having fun with this. Grateful that I pre-made meals for the few days I was tired. Yesterday I ate out AGAIN (4th time). I'm kind of amazed at how doable that is, but I am in NYC, land of special requests. Haha. 

Have a great day!!

I need to check out The Magic Pill I think...

Things here on day 6 are going well.  I had a bit of an episode at work yesterday which was super stressful.  Afterwards I really wanted to dive into the pantry but took the dog for a walk instead!  Success!  I have to admit to some snacking today though (a handful of almonds and an Rxbar) - I think maybe my portions weren't big enough today.  I'm running out of prepped food and that is probably the reason.  I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can get stocked back up and do some more planning.  I did stop at Trader Joes on my way home from work the other day.  I got some compliant hot dogs and burgers that should be pretty easy to heat up.  I was looking forward to some compliant sausages but no such luck.  They had cauliflower rice there so I got some of that but as far as packaged stuff there wasn't too much.  I know that learning to cook healthy whole foods is part of the process but after a long day at work sometimes you just want something you don't have to think about, right?!  I guess that's where that prep is supposed to come in.  I did pick up some shredded coconut and a handful of that with a few red grapes is REALLY good.

I've been pretty tired today but otherwise I feel good.  I had been having all sorts of spring allergy issues and that seems to have mostly cleared up.  Not sure if it is really whole30 related but I'll take it!  My husband has commented on how he thinks me being on whole30 has actually influenced him to not pick up snacks at work so there is another win.  He's not participating other than via the food I make but it seems like he is becoming more interested.

I'm going to try the coconut curry whole30 recipe tonight with cauliflower rice and I'm pretty excited - the chicken looks good.  I'll let you know how it goes.

hi all - cant believe that Im still doing this!!! Im usually out by now. After doing one successful round 2 years ago I have tried numerous times to do another whole30 but always caved within the first few days. I know its still early days but Im feeling hopful.

Marj K, I've been constipated and have dry skin too. I even took a laxative yesterday because Im ususally so regular and extra moisturiser on my face. I think I need to up my water too. Im glad you liked The Magic Pill, I really enjoyed the part about the Australian aboriginals and the retreat they went to. Their health is a big concern to all Australians and the cure is so simple. 

Rachel, there are bloody biscuits in the tea room with a big sign "enjoy" grrrr. I hope they go quickly. Im pleased you enjoyed the documentary too. featuring our paleo Pete (Pete Evans) lol

oh Vanessa rxbars and trader joes, I hear about them all the time and wish we had them here in Australia, would make things so much easier. I hope work today is not so stressful. Im also looking forward to the weekend to do some prep. Im off to do some grocery shopping shortly, I should do a meal plan first.

Would anyone like to link on instragram? my name is Somerset Farm. I follow Paleomg, no crumbs left, the physical kitchness, stupid easy paleo, nom nom paleo, Diane Sanfilippo and of course Melissa Hartwig for inspiration. 

I need to have a talk to my chickens, they are only supplying 3 or 4 eggs a day and its not enough. I have 28 chickens and 2 roosters. bloody free loaders!!!

Hi, all. I was very snacky today and I keep wanting to weigh myself. Today was a bit more challenging. Off to sleep. Night!

luluqld Super congrats for sticking with this! You can do it! Do you have a list of reasons you're doing it? (sorry if you shared that already) Let it remind you...and reach out for support too if you need it.

16 hours ago, Vanessa_ said:

I need to check out The Magic Pill I think...

Things here on day 6 are going well.  I had a bit of an episode at work yesterday which was super stressful.  Afterwards I really wanted to dive into the pantry but took the dog for a walk instead!  Success!  I have to admit to some snacking today though (a handful of almonds and an Rxbar) - I think maybe my portions weren't big enough today.  I'm running out of prepped food and that is probably the reason.  I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can get stocked back up and do some more planning.  I did stop at Trader Joes on my way home from work the other day.  I got some compliant hot dogs and burgers that should be pretty easy to heat up.  I was looking forward to some compliant sausages but no such luck.  They had cauliflower rice there so I got some of that but as far as packaged stuff there wasn't too much.  I know that learning to cook healthy whole foods is part of the process but after a long day at work sometimes you just want something you don't have to think about, right?!  I guess that's where that prep is supposed to come in.  I did pick up some shredded coconut and a handful of that with a few red grapes is REALLY good.

I've been pretty tired today but otherwise I feel good.  I had been having all sorts of spring allergy issues and that seems to have mostly cleared up.  Not sure if it is really whole30 related but I'll take it!  My husband has commented on how he thinks me being on whole30 has actually influenced him to not pick up snacks at work so there is another win.  He's not participating other than via the food I make but it seems like he is becoming more interested.

I'm going to try the coconut curry whole30 recipe tonight with cauliflower rice and I'm pretty excited - the chicken looks good.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Good job distracting yourself by taking the dog for a walk! That great!

I got pretty tired yesterday afternoon and am tired today. Not sure if that's due to lack of sleep or Whole30 or both, but I am in the "I'm so tired" stage so...

That's awesome that your allergies have gotten better. I haven't noticed that yet and am still taking my Allegra every day. At some point I will try weaning myself off the Allegra, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet - still have the running nose and stuff.

Cauliflower rice is pretty great - and so quick and easy! My husband is like yours - not doing this with me but will eat whatever I cook. I thought he would look at cauliflower rice and turn his nose up. LOL. He loves rice. But he's been fine with this change so far.

Ladies! Just found this timeline if it helps: https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ It talks about average symptoms day to day! I realize that fatigue is very common on days 6 & 7. It's not to feel so not alone.

And gut flora is adjusting, so constipation and a host of other things are common. 

luluqld  note that they say days 10 & 11 are the toughest, so stick with it! :) (also note that this site will not let me unbold this. Urg). 

11 hours ago, luluqld said:

hi all - cant believe that Im still doing this!!! Im usually out by now. After doing one successful round 2 years ago I have tried numerous times to do another whole30 but always caved within the first few days. I know its still early days but Im feeling hopful.

Marj K, I've been constipated and have dry skin too. I even took a laxative yesterday because Im ususally so regular and extra moisturiser on my face. I think I need to up my water too. Im glad you liked The Magic Pill, I really enjoyed the part about the Australian aboriginals and the retreat they went to. Their health is a big concern to all Australians and the cure is so simple. 

Rachel, there are bloody biscuits in the tea room with a big sign "enjoy" grrrr. I hope they go quickly. Im pleased you enjoyed the documentary too. featuring our paleo Pete (Pete Evans) lol

oh Vanessa rxbars and trader joes, I hear about them all the time and wish we had them here in Australia, would make things so much easier. I hope work today is not so stressful. Im also looking forward to the weekend to do some prep. Im off to do some grocery shopping shortly, I should do a meal plan first.

Would anyone like to link on instragram? my name is Somerset Farm. I follow Paleomg, no crumbs left, the physical kitchness, stupid easy paleo, nom nom paleo, Diane Sanfilippo and of course Melissa Hartwig for inspiration. 

I need to have a talk to my chickens, they are only supplying 3 or 4 eggs a day and its not enough. I have 28 chickens and 2 roosters. bloody free loaders!!!

Congrats on sticking with it! You can do this! Do you have the Whole30 Day by Day? I've been reading and doing some journaling every day and I really think it helps.

My IG user name is portraitrachel (mostly pics of my cat lol) - I think I found you on there. I'm following paleorunningmomma, therealfoodrds, livinglovingpaleo, Melissa (of course), whole30approved, whole30recipies, whole30, and thewholesmiths.

Are your chickens behaving today? :P

15 minutes ago, Marj K said:

Ladies! Just found this timeline if it helps: https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ It talks about average symptoms day to day! I realize that fatigue is very common on days 6 & 7. It's not to feel so not alone.

And gut flora is adjusting, so constipation and a host of other things are common. 

luluqld  note that they say days 10 & 11 are the toughest, so stick with it! :) (also note that this site will not let me unbold this. Urg). 

Yes! That timeline is super helpful!

TMI: I'm having a different issue than constipation - I poop a bit every time I go to the bathroom to pee! LOL. That is NOT like me.

Day 7!!!  One (almost) complete week.  Just need to make it 11 more hours...  I feel pretty good that we're still going strong ladies!  So the chicken coconut curry recipe is pretty amazing (assuming you like curry).  I also tried a handful of shredded coconut with red grapes yesterday, which was really tasty as well. 

I was just chatting with my four year old.  He was telling me that he wanted to help me make dinner tonight,  I told him that he could help me smash the potatoes.  He is insisting that we have pizza instead.  He and my husband are going to visit my in-laws this weekend.  I'm going to stay home with my other son.  We would all go but my in-laws house is literally the land of temptation.  I don't think I would make it through the trip.  Lucky for him he will most definitely get his pizza there.

Lulu - you seriously need to talk to those chickens.  I'd say I'm averaging 4 or 5 eggs a day.  It would seem unfair to have 28 chickens and still be buying eggs!

rusrach - I hear you on the constant pooping - I'm the same way.  Not ideal.  I'm hoping that stops once we get through the days 8 and 9 enzyme adjustment. 

Insta is a great idea! I'm BrownstoneBabe. Added portraitrachel

Thanks for the other IG handles! (paleorunningmomma, therealfoodrds, livinglovingpaleo, melissa_hartwig, whole30approved, whole30recipies, whole30, and thewholesmiths.) Organizing all handles in this one place. 

**Speaking of...Does anyone want to start a FB group? I could start it. Even if it's just for this month, it might be easier than here. Let me know your thoughts. Marj Kleinman on Facebook.

I just had to google Six Flags lol. looks awesome and well done Vanessa.

I've just started following you Rachel and Marj. Im at work but I look forward to checking out your sites tonight. 

my chooks are moulting atm and about a month ago we had a snake around who ate 4 chicks and lots of eggs so they have had a rough time of it lately.

I'm easy re the FB page, whatever everyone would like to do.

I struggled a lot over the weekend but made it through. I slept for 10 hours on friday night and had a busy day saturday but sunday I felt off all day. Im not so bad with the food part, its the not drinking alcohol that is really hard for me. Im listening to an audio book about sobriety atm for inspiration.

I made some savoury mince the other night and added a fried egg on top, one of my favourite meals so far. I need to buy more coconut aminos.

Hello, everyone. I have noticed more roominess too, luluqldI'm trying not to make this about weight loss, but of course it's part of it. I'm having a tough time resisting weighing myself. Anyone else? 

I'm on day 11! I seem to be doing well. Still cooking a lot and enjoying it and it feels like less work. But I'm wondering about this whole "no snacking btwn meals" thing that they encourage. It's a bit tricky, but it's helping me to notice what causes me to want to snack. It's usually that I'm tired and want to rest (snacking in front of TV) or just bored and want fun (snacking in front of TV) :) What about you guys?

I got very sad yesterday about an ex and instead of turning to food, I sat and meditated. Wow. That surprised me. and I was physically hungry at the time. 

Have a great day, everyone! 

WARNING! This post is a bit whine fest! Haha.

Today is Day 9. I slept horribly last night. No idea why. I took a nap yesterday and wasn't surprised when I went to bed and found myself wide awake. I got up and read a bit and then went to bed when my eyes started getting that tired feeling...but couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned all night...barely dozing off just to wake up again. I came into work late because I finally started getting better sleep after 4am. I probably got 2.5-3 hrs of good sleep. Adding insult to exhausted injury...my work computer is barely functioning <_< and I just want to cry. I can't handle this today. I'm just so tired and want to go home. :(

Most of the food I've made has been great...until yesterday. The compliant hot dogs I grilled yesterday were awful. I can't even describe the terrible taste. Ew. :wacko: The Tessemae's ketchup was terrible. The Tessemae's BBQ sauce was also yucky. I would rather go without than use those again. In the trash they went. Money not well spent. Guess I'll try making those things myself. This weekend I prepped some breakfast sausage - chicken with mango and jalapeno. Sounded awesome. Smelled awesome. I ate one this morning and it basically had no flavor. :blink:

On top of all of that, I don't feel a bit different physically. My clothes fit the same. I still need my allergy pill. I don't fall asleep any easier. I don't wake up any easier (so NOT a morning person). Ugh.

Okay. Rant done. Thanks for letting me get that out. Now to try and find something positive. Here goes: I can actually think of one positive physical change - my energy levels were pretty good on Saturday & Sunday.

1 hour ago, Marj K said:

It's a bit tricky, but it's helping me to notice what causes me to want to snack. It's usually that I'm tired and want to rest (snacking in front of TV) or just bored and want fun (snacking in front of TV) :) What about you guys?

For sure!

Me --->  Sad? :( Eat! Happy? :) Eat! Bored? :mellow: Eat! Tired? -_- Eat! Mad? :angry: Eat!

I think one of my big problems this last year is that I haven't had enough to do at work to stay busy and I get pretty bored a lot. I think I've coped with that boredom by snacking a lot more.

rusrach it's really ok to rant and vent (and i appreciate your being so open and honest about your experience). great that you have more energy! i'm so sorry it's been so tough in other ways. is there anything we do to support you? just know that you're not alone and try to breath through it. also, track the timeline...it says day 10-11 is "Day 8-9: For the love of Gosling, my pants are TIGHTER." 

Me --->  Sad? :( Eat! Happy? :) Eat! Bored? :mellow: Eat! Tired? -_- Eat! Mad? :angry: Eat!

LOL. Yeah, boredom is a big one. Maybe get up and take a walk or go chat with a coworker that you like. I work from home or cafes as a freelancer, so boredom happens if I'm not staying busy or if I get tired.

Speaking of...What do y'all do for a living? Hobbies? It would be fun to know a bit more about each other. I'm a children's media producer/writer/photographer, but spending a lot of time taking care of my dad and being an AirBnB host right now. Well, in truth, spending a lot of time on W30 right now. I wish I could cook all day and get paid for that! I imagine it's tougher with a F/T job.

Archived