Anyone else starting 4/21??

Vanessa_

Day 10!!  Double-digits!!

Sounds to me like we're all going through the "hardest days" in that whole30 timeline! I've been having a hard time with the no snacking policy as well.  The last few years I kind of gave up a "lunch" in favor of grazing.  I would have breakfast around 6 am and then have something small at 9, then 10, then 12 then 2 or something like that.  It's hard to get out of that habit.  I'm also not used to eating such big meals.  And SO. MUCH. MEAT.  Just very different.  I did a weight lifting class at the gym yesterday and had a hard time making it through.  I felt really low in the energy department.  I also was at the grocery store yesterday (for what seems like the 50th time in the past 10 days) and they have a Starbucks there.  I'm also off coffee and the smell really got me; I almost broke down and bought one.  Luckily I figured there was no way they would have any compliant creamer and I wasn't desperate enough to drink it black.  I did a spin class this morning and seemed to have more energy so that's good.  Unfortunately I think the class zapped it all and now I'm sore and can't move.  So, there's that... 

Lulu and Marj- that's awesome that you all are feeling some extra room in your clothes.  I'm with Rachel on this one though.  :(

My husband came back from my in-laws house yesterday (he and my younger son went there over night - I stayed home because I didn't think I could handle whole30 at their house - way too many tempting items and would have required way too much prep for me).  He came home with two big containers of jelly beans and two containers of peanut butter - one with dark chocolate and the other with white chocolate.  I love my mother-in-law but she tends to show her love with food and it's kind of a problem.  We've talked to her about it on a few occasions but she still buys these things for us - or for my boys.  And then I don't want to eat it, and I don't particularly want to give it to my kids but I feel guilty just giving it away or throwing it away when I know she bought it specifically for us.  I also have a huge thing of chocolate animal crackers in my cupboard from the last time she visited.  I don't normally buy that kind of stuff (because I can't be trusted with it in the house and because I've noticed a direct connection with my kids whiney level/ crazy behavior with the amount of sugar they eat).  But how do I take something away from them that they were just given?

Marj- I also work from home most of the time (usually 4 days a week).  I work as a program manager.  I like my job but it's either really crazy busy or fairly slow.  It's pretty slow at the moment - which is good because it gives me more time for whole30 planning - but it's bad because then I get anxiety around whether there is something I SHOULD be doing.  Plus I start to get complacent and it takes me forever to get stuff done.  I think my work is better when I'm busy and forced to focus.  As far as hobbies - not much to report these days.  I used to ride horses twice a week but I haven't been all year because my kids are now doing tee-ball three times a week and starting cub scouts and between their activities and work and Dr's appointments and yard work (which I do actually enjoy) and going to the gym there isn't much time for anything else.  My husband and I put the kids to bed and watch tv for about an hour (which used to be accompanied by snacking) before I pass out.  From Nov - Feb I was working out 6 days a week.  I got the flu in Feb and was pretty much out of commission for 2 weeks.  I've managed to get back to 3 Les Mills body pump classes a week but haven't been able to get back to 6 workouts a week.  Once I lose momentum it's really hard.  This is the first week I'm adding a fourth day (with this morning's spin class).  We'll see how that goes for a few weeks and see if I can add another day.  Getting up at 5am to work out before the family gets up and I have to start work gets old!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marj K said:

rusrach it's really ok to rant and vent (and i appreciate your being so open and honest about your experience). great that you have more energy! i'm so sorry it's been so tough in other ways. is there anything we do to support you? just know that you're not alone and try to breath through it. also, track the timeline...it says day 10-11 is "Day 8-9: For the love of Gosling, my pants are TIGHTER." 

LOL. Yeah, boredom is a big one. Maybe get up and take a walk or go chat with a coworker that you like. I work from home or cafes as a freelancer, so boredom happens if I'm not staying busy or if I get tired.

Speaking of...What do y'all do for a living? Hobbies? It would be fun to know a bit more about each other. I'm a children's media producer/writer/photographer, but spending a lot of time taking care of my dad and being an AirBnB host right now. Well, in truth, spending a lot of time on W30 right now. I wish I could cook all day and get paid for that! I imagine it's tougher with a F/T job.

Thanks. At this point, just being able to vent and have people commiserate with me is enough...to know I'm not crazy or anything. :)

I support a bunch of IT nerds - helping with projects, tracking schedules, etc. When I'm not at work...doing W30 stuff, house stuff, read, watch tv/movies, and spend time with my husband and kitty. Now that it's FINALLY getting warmer, I'll spend time outside with flowers and herbs.

Vanessa - I've been trying to drink black coffee. I used to drink my coffee black eons ago, but I can't quite seem to get used to it. I've tried the nut pods, but I can't get used to that either. Oh wells! I'm sorry you are in one of The Suck days like I am. We're going to get through this! That is frustrating about your MIL. She's trying to be loving but making things more complicated/worse. Ugh. I'm trying to get back into the gym. I was working out 3 times per week last year. I got sick a couple times this winter and lost all my momentum. When I tried to go back, my energy level was so low. Hoping I can hit my stride again.

Day 10. I'm reading my Day by Day for today. I wasn't tracking that much with the "symptoms" up until yesterday, so I was a little caught off guard by The Hardest Days...which was exacerbated by my lack of sleep Sunday night. Oh boy. I was sorely tempted to cheat or thrown in the whole towel yesterday.

• I wasn't sure if my lunch was going to be any good and I was scared (and I had 2 more servings of it at home). But I remembered the if/then exercise, so I made a plan. If it totally sucked, I would come back and eat some of my emergency snacks - epic bar, larabar, Rx bar, nuts. NSV right there! Lunch wasn't awesome, but it wasn't bad. When I eat it again tomorrow, I'll bring a few sauce options to try with it.
  • I felt a tiny bit hungry around 4pm. Even though I probably shouldn't have, I grabbed the larabar and ate it. I probably wasn't hungry enough to eat hard boiled eggs. What I was, was freaking tired.
  • Then I realized that I was missing the compliant liquid smoke for my dinner recipe and thought about just using the non-compliant stuff, but I decided to use smoked paprika instead of plain paprika. Unfortunately, dinner wasn't great. The pork chops were surprisingly bland, the mashed sweet potatoes weren't amazing like the last time I made them (think I got the proportions wrong), and the green beans weren't as good as usual (the beef bouillon paste I usually use packs a lot more beefy flavor...and sugar). So disappointing. What I learned: don't buy a large pack of pork chops when trying a new recipe cuz it might suck and you will be stuck with bland pork chop leftovers.

Today I am over this. It's dumb and stupid and why did I think this was a good idea? Oh right. I remember.

How are you all doing today?

Rachel

hi all, I was busy at work yesterday and although I read all your posts, I just didnt have time to respond. 

Im still struggling with not being able to have any alcohol which has really made it clear to me that I have a problem there. I have started listening to The Naked Mind on audio book. I feel like Im trying two challenges at once. 

I put on some jeans this morning that I wasnt able to fit into last winter (we are in autumn atm) so Im pleased with that and yes Marj K I am tempted to hop on the scales. Sorry Rachel and Vanessa that you arent feeling any weight loss, Im sure you will. 

last night for dinner I made beef and vegetable kababs ( beef on skewers) with rice for my partner and half an avocado for me. the night before was rump steak with baked veg and steamed carrot and broc. I think my meals may be missing elements - let me know.

I work at a TAFE (technical and further education) or as we like to call it  TAFE ( try and fu*king enrol) in an admin role and its very boring and I hope to finish up next year as we become more self sufficient. My hobbies include, working towards becoming self sufficient, macrame, gardening and more recently yoga. plus I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. We live on 12 acres so there is always animals to care for and work to be done. my children are grown up and have moved out of home so its only me and my partner at home now.

ok so today Im going to google Creamer - I dont know what this is. lol

I spent way too much time looking at your instragram accounts Marj and Rachel. Love your cat Rachel, it has the cutest little face. and Marj, you have some wonderful pics - I would love to visit NY one day.

Vanessa, did your mother in law realise why you didnt visit? its a hard situation to be in but Im sure she is well meaning.

hang in there guys we are almost half way

Sorry for not responding in a while. I'm tired and very bloated, but OK. Could be the snacking. Not sure. I have definitely gone more starching (potatoes/plaintains) and fat vs. protein and veg in the past 4 days, but I'm trying to rebound. It's mostly when I'm tired that I make less nutritious choices. I really feel our collective struggling. Kinda feeling impatient. Wanting to see results. So yeah, as usual, it's emotional for me. Though I finally bought prunes to help w/you know what.

Rachel: I may pick up the day to day book--looks helpful. Worth it? I've spent so much $ already, but it seems worth it. I'm getting nervous about the reintroduction. Anyone else? I feel like that's where it gets really tough. At least for me. 

luluqld: Thanks for visiting our IG's. What's your handle again? (and your real name again?)  

You guys are always welcomed in NY! I am an AirBnB superhost and I so enjoy it. http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5990467?s=51 (not sure why this will only paste yellow)

Hugs, Marj

FYI. I edited my note above. I'm just letting you know that I have a tendency to do that, b/c I remember things to add and rather than do separate notes (like I have here), I just keep going with the one. BUT then I realized you guys might read the notes in your email program and not here. Haha. I might be losing it a bit. 

wow Marj, your AirBnB is amazing, love the sesame street reference ( I grew up on that), and your cat does look like mine. lol.  Only one person from Australia.

you guys are making this whole30 journey so much better - thank you

my handle ha ha is somerset. farm. my name is Louise

yeah for prunes.

Hi, Louise! Thanks--you guys are also making this better for me. Really. My friends certainly don't want to hear about this anymore. Haha. No, that's not true--they're supportive, to a point...but they love to hear about the recipes. 

p.s. Hold onto your hat, Louise--if you liked that...I used to WORK at Sesame Workshop (where they make Sesame Street). 

Day 12!  I think today is the first day that I woke up and didn't immediately think of food and stress about what I was going to eat for breakfast.  I also felt fulfilled by my breakfast, which is a nice change.  I usually eat and then still feel like I'd like a nice big bowl of cheerios.  I also feel a little less bloated.  Oh, so I had to go into my office yesterday for work.  We have a wellness program where you do certain activities (like walking challenges) and a yearly biometric screening to get reduced healthcare costs.  My biometric screening was yesterday so I had to fast until my appointment.  I got my results back and everything they tested (sugar level, cholesterol (good/ bad), BMI, etc.) was better than my screening from October.  Whole30 related?!  Maybe exercise too since I started my exercise program right after that last screening.  I was also weighed (not my fault!  It was for work!) and with clothes on (don't they add a pound or two?) I was down 4 pounds from pre-whole30.  I'm not planning to weight myself again since it's against the rules but it was definitely a motivating thing to know that even though my pants don't feel looser something must be happening somewhere.

You all are so modern with your IG accounts!  I consider my occasional use of Facebook as a win for me. 

Rachel- I hear you on the meals.  Trying all these new recipes is great (when they turn out great) and disappointing (when you've been waiting hours thinking of nothing else but food and then you finally get to eat and it is a let down).

Louise- Why were you asking about your meals?  Are you still feeling hungry or just curious?  I know you mentioned that you had a half avocado with one of your meals - are you eating a portion of healthy fat with all the meals?  I sort of assumed my husband explained why I didn't come up to visit but that is a big assumption.  My in-laws are coming to stay with us this weekend.  My MIL texted me yesterday saying that she would make dinner on Friday.  We had a long text discussion of whether I should just cook because of all of the restrictions but she really wants to make scallops and is sure she can make a compliant meal.  I have to say I'm kind of excited about not having to cook for a night!

I've also been thinking about reintroduction a little bit.  I think adding back legumes would be really helpful.  I think I'd like to try grains and dairy but I have a feeling neither agree with me, and the learning will be I probably should eat them (which is pretty sad).

Marj- Your AirBnB looks amazing! Also, are you eating fresh fruit?  That might help - peaches or pears are the best I think to help move tings along.

1 hour ago, Vanessa_ said:

Marj- Your AirBnB looks amazing! Also, are you eating fresh fruit?  That might help - peaches or pears are the best I think to help move tings along.

Thanks! Yes--very much so. My body must have just been adjusting. Finally got prunes yesterday and that did it! Plus, I cut back on plaintains/potatoes a bit. I feel like I was eating a lot of fats/nuts lately, so I'm being more mindful of that. More protein and VEG needed. 

Marj - Your AirBnB is beautiful! And your cat is super cute. :) I have found the Day by Day book to be very helpful, but I get it on the $ spent already. Every morning I see the scale and tell myself not to step on it. LOL.

Vanessa - That's great news about your biometric screening results! Good job!

I worried more about reintroduction prior to actually starting my 30 days. I will probably go back to thinking about it more after The Hardest Days are over with. LOL. Hopefully I will be done with the hard crap today. I didn't sleep well AGAIN, so that isn't helping. Oh! I do think my shoulder is feeling better - I did something to it at the gym like 6 months ago and it's hurt a bit ever since. I realized last night as I was trying to fall back to sleep that it wasn't hurting as much.

You guys are definitely helping me get through this too! I really appreciate you all. :)

oh, no, rusrach! feel better! good times, yeah :( blahh. 

i thought i was coming down with a cold last night at 2am. my throat hurt. uggh. i have a strong immune system and usually take preventative tinctures. they aren't really compliant, so i thought i'd be ok with all the nutrients we're eating. i searched like crazy and basically took tons of vitamins, water, tea, and ate raw garlic in ginger turmeric butternut squash soup and i think i may have knocked it out. wish me luck! my friend had to go off W30 when she got sick :( and I really don't want to start over.

A bit RANTY...Re: Real Plans...

It's a nice app for planning meals out over the week/weeks and it only gives you recipes that are specific to your settings (W30 and anything else you want to add). But it spits out a shopping list and I don't think the quantities were accurate. More importantly, I've tried a bunch of the recipes and they're not specific about quantities. They also seem really off...as if they're not tested. But I hear they are. Frustrating! I got HANGRY yesterday. I was trying to make Broc-Cauli Fritters and they just wouldn't stay together. I tried trouble shooting...tried three different ways. Real Plans gives you 24/7 chat, which is amazing, and they tried to help, but there's not much they can do. They just say "I'll let our content team know to look into it," which I've heard on at least 3 recipes. I feel like I'm the only one giving feedback (I used to web produce, so I like to give feedback so products can be improved). Ugh. At least it was only $20 for the first month...I did get a bunch of good recipes and recipe ideas. So it's not all bad at all. Thanks for listening. 

Off to start my day!

I found this link in another thread: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/ that you all might want to check out. I think I’ve been getting frustrated with all the recipes i.e. will they be good? Do I have the right ingredients? Do I have enough time? I’m going to try this method of prep for this week to see if it helps. 

I’m feeling pretty good today. I had a little bit of a scare this morning when my urine was dark pink (sorry, tmi) but Dr. Google says it was probably the beet noodles from yesterday! I definitely felt more energized today. I’m planning to do my weight lifting class in the morning so hopefully I’ll see a difference from the last time (when I wanted to curl up and nap).

Thanks, Vanessa. Great link! I think I've heard of her before. I also just got the Day by Day book that Rachel is using. Thank you, speedy Amazon. It's so good! Wish I'd had it from the top, but I will forgive myself for that. Now, in reading I realize I may need Freedom from Food. Now I see where they make their money. I wondered how...if it was all from books...hmm...advertising...anyway...

I was very tired today, so I'm already in bed at 8:15 with a movie and then sleep early. Plus, my AirBnB guests have taken over the dining room, which is totally fine. I hung out with them a bit and now need a break. 

I was reminded clearly of a few things in Day by Day--still having sweet cravings and typically having dates or dried apricots. I am going to try to ease up on those and see how it feels. I really want to be mindful and teach my brain not to crave that stuff anymore. 

Confession--I weighed myself. I am dropping, but I will not weigh myself again until the end. I'm at the mid-way point, so I guess I just needed a little motivation and checkin. 

rusrach--how are you feeling?

luluqld--how are you holding up? Pls let us know if you need support.  

Night, all!

Marj - what do they mean “freedom from food?” I don’t know if this is what they mean but I was thinking earlier today about how my husband and I are going to the movies on Saturday and how I’m not going to get to eat a giant box of candy. I’m not craving candy but it still made me a little sad. And then I was sad that the knowledge that I’m not getting a box of candy two days from is making me sad. Does that make sense? 

I am actually in a better mood today, which is surprising given my period is here. And I finally got a good night's sleep. The night before I had terrible hot flashes all night, so I switched our comforter out for a lighter blanket. Made a huge difference last night! 

Great that you're feeling better!

I did not sleep that well...I seem to wake up a lot. I'm hoping that shifts as I eat a bit less sugar. Not sure. Spacey...but awake! I have a photo shoot today--4 women's portraits--so gotta get my energy going!

Have a great day, ladies!

Marj

Rachel- funny, I just switched out my duvet for a lighter blanket yesterday too. It didn’t seem to help me fall asleep. I tried to go to bed early and just rolled around awhile but I think I stayed asleep all night so I’ll call that a win!

I had to come into the office today for a 4:00 meeting. Blah! It may turn into part 2 of the stressful episode I had last week. I’m kind of dreading it but thought Friday at 4:00 would be better than letting it linger over the weekend. My 4 year old had a rough morning today. He normally comes with me to drop my 5 yr old at the bus stop or to drive him to school but I had to leave him home today since I was driving into work right afterwards. He was screaming and tearing at my clothes when I left. We were slightly delayed which meant my 5 year old was (1 minute!) late for the drop off line so I had to take him into the office and sign him in as tardy. Then I sat in rush hour traffic for over an hour to get to the office. It’s been calm here so far. Just need to get this meeting out of the way and then on to the weekend! (I passed up bagged pretzels and bagged grandma’s cookies in the lunchroom in favor of beets, brussel sprouts, chicken and soup but it was hard!)

Morning, everyone! How's it going? 

I have slept SO MUCH BETTER the past two nights. Wow. Funny dreams again. and starting to lose count of the day, but I think it's day 17. 

This may sound weird, but my tongue is so clear and deep pink! (not milky). I haven't seen it like that in a long time. 

Venessa--sorry you had to go into work--how'd it go? and 1 min late to the line and you had to go in? Oy. I guess rules are rules. 

How's everybody else doing?

Hugs, Marj

p.s. If you haven't tried it yet--Sushi Rollups...a simple hand roll in seaweed with salmon, avo, shredded cabbage or carrots, cucumbers, sesame seeds...yum!

Archived