Pretty terrified but determined, 23rd April, changing my life

Homesoil

starting today 4/23 as well!   this is my 2nd whole 30, last time was in 2015 (whoa!)    I had plans to eat some last hurrah junk food last night but i fell asleep with the kids.   So I'm all in this morning!    I think this will be easier this time, you can get cauli/broccoli 'rice' in the freezer section locally and many other things that were hard to find two years ago are now more mainstream.  I have a spiralizer and got my club soda and limes yesterday!   Making butternut soup + chicken tonight for dinner.    Should be good!   My birthday and some other celebrations are coming up which may be tough but day to day i think i am ready! 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, britgirl said:

Ps have you watched Guardians of the Galaxy, Homesoil? You really need to with that profile picture. Look out for Groot. Keep it in the bank for Kill all the Things day! 

I actually now have no idea what you are talking about lol

Story of my life! Guardians of the Galaxy is a fairly lighthearted sci fi film ( tho violent in places) but doesn’t take itself too seriously and it has a really good 70s music sound track. And a very sweet tree called Groot. Uncannily like your profile picture! 

And do look up the time line ( on w30 ? Resources and in the W30 book and the Day by Day book. Helpful wise and always makes me smile. 

Thats a big tick for today. One day down. 

Hope you’re all doing well

16 hours ago, kenzington15 said:

starting today 4/23 as well!   this is my 2nd whole 30, last time was in 2015 (whoa!)    I had plans to eat some last hurrah junk food last night but i fell asleep with the kids.   So I'm all in this morning!    I think this will be easier this time, you can get cauli/broccoli 'rice' in the freezer section locally and many other things that were hard to find two years ago are now more mainstream.  I have a spiralizer and got my club soda and limes yesterday!   Making butternut soup + chicken tonight for dinner.    Should be good!   My birthday and some other celebrations are coming up which may be tough but day to day i think i am ready! 

Good luck Kensington 15

9 hours ago, britgirl said:

Story of my life! Guardians of the Galaxy is a fairly lighthearted sci fi film ( tho violent in places) but doesn’t take itself too seriously and it has a really good 70s music sound track. And a very sweet tree called Groot. Uncannily like your profile picture! 

And do look up the time line ( on w30 ? Resources and in the W30 book and the Day by Day book. Helpful wise and always makes me smile. 

Thats a big tick for today. One day down. 

Hope you’re all doing well

Not real a film (sci fi) person but it sounds fun. I might check it out.

I actually thought that picture was assigned to me when I joined the forum and I was really chuffed as I am a tree person. Is it a google platform? or wordpress?

2 hours ago, Homesoil said:

Not real a film (sci fi) person but it sounds fun. I might check it out.

I actually thought that picture was assigned to me when I joined the forum and I was really chuffed as I am a tree person. Is it a google platform? or wordpress?

Ok now I have no idea what you’re talking about!! I leave the techno to my kids. You can change the pic cos I’ve done it. Well.....my teenage daughter did. But Groot is nice so no need unless you get sick of being a tree. 

Woke up with anvil pinning me to the bed and serious headache. Ouch! Not had the day 2 “hangover” before. Serves me right for Eating All The Things  ( see timeline) on day zero. Have drunk masses of water and forced down some frittata and feel better. But quite overwhelmed with the enormity of the cooking task. Yet more acres of washing up! (Made frittata muffins for the freezer for grab and go breakfasts). Regret talking husband and daughter into doing it too but very good for us all and I’d like to make this our normal way of eating. It’s alarming how quickly you can slide into pre prepared and rubbish food cos it’s easy. And we now have a fridge full of compliment meal options which is great. 

Good luck all today. Let me know how you’re doing

14 hours ago, britgirl said:

I love your name @hopefor Overcomers as well as your attitude. Well done you for almost getting to the end - or the beginning! Tell us- does the cooking and thinking get easier and what do you eat for breakfast Oh awesome day 31 One??

Yes, indeed, the cooking and pkanning and meals get easier! It used to be such a chore I dreaded the start of each Whole 30 Day! Lately I’ve been into a delicious sugar free, preservative free pasta sauce that I doctored up with very lean organic ground round, fresh garlic and onions, and lots of mushrooms over spiralized yellow squash zoodles, or zuchinni zoodles or sweet potato zoodles! Delicious! I would even eat leftovers for breakfast on occasion. I made up a delicious chicken dish with steamed spinach, onions freshly cut red onion, and quacamole that is Whole30 approved from Trader Joe’s. I, shock of all shocks, still want some fruit upon occasion and I’ve been loving frozen cherries or peaches or berries, nuked for one minute. I have some egg concoctions I enjoy but I moved away from having eggs SO OFTEN! So with leftovers and different food choices readily available cooking was no longer a drag. Oh, have you tried zucchini rice from the frozen section of health food stores or Trader Joe’s? Delicious! I cameup with lots of options, leftovers, and lost the kitchen dread. Oh, Koju Allple slices and Whole30 approved almond butter to dip it into? Delicious! It just works! You’ll find a variety of things too! Just super sure if it for you! You were born to win! You’re an overcomer! Yes, there is hope for overcomers! Carry on!

On 4/24/2018 at 7:17 AM, britgirl said:

Ok now I have no idea what you’re talking about!! I leave the techno to my kids. You can change the pic cos I’ve done it. Well.....my teenage daughter did. But Groot is nice so no need unless you get sick of being a tree. 

Woke up with anvil pinning me to the bed and serious headache. Ouch! Not had the day 2 “hangover” before. Serves me right for Eating All The Things  ( see timeline) on day zero. Have drunk masses of water and forced down some frittata and feel better. But quite overwhelmed with the enormity of the cooking task. Yet more acres of washing up! (Made frittata muffins for the freezer for grab and go breakfasts). Regret talking husband and daughter into doing it too but very good for us all and I’d like to make this our normal way of eating. It’s alarming how quickly you can slide into pre prepared and rubbish food cos it’s easy. And we now have a fridge full of compliment meal options which is great. 

hi Britgirl, i am a huge Guardians of the Galaxy fan, my girls are really into it.  Are you going to see Infinity War-Avengers coming out this weekend?   we may wait a week or two for the excitement to die down a bit.     I guess i'll be bringing my club soda and lime into the theater and no snacks!  it's almost 3 hour movie, i may need to bring a snack too. :-)

Day3, feeling ok here.  plain coffee with nothing in it does suck tho, i'm not gonna lie.   Last time i did whole 3, i lined up 5-6 cups of tea and coffee and tried with coconut milk, almond milk, whatever else is acceptable on W30 and they all were still horrible (to me at least).  So just gonna go with nothing in it.    Had a headache day1 and day 2 but feeling ok today-- likely coming off too much coffee (with milk and sugar!) before starting the program. 

For meal prep, i roasted a bunch of chicken Sunday and have been having it with salad for lunch and butternut soup for dinner.  That runs out tonight so thinking to make slow cooker curry/coconut chicken tomorrow. new recipe, will see how it goes but that will last me thru to the weekend I think.     

Hardest part for me is no snacking in front of the TV, but i've gone to bed early few nights and just eliminate the TV so no cravings whilst in front of the tv!  problem solved. boom!

Have a great day everyone!

On 22/04/2018 at 12:05 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, don't eat all the garbage things Jenny, you'll regret it big time!  The closer to Whole30 your eating is in the days leading up to the program, the better off the first week of side effects of detox etc... will be... don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even get started :) 

Darn! Wish I’d come online and read that before polishing off the Easter eggs and a bag of crisps. Why? Why? Oh....and my “last” latte. But ‘‘tis done now. Onwards and upwards. 

But ........have been busy sticking the template to the fridge, and the shopping list and additive sheets in the car ready to go plus made mayo and prepared the first breakfast so I’m now in the zone. 

But you’re so right @SugarcubeOD my stomach is even now having a chat about the wisdom of today’s food choices! Wish I could remember how bad these make me feel but I have a horribly short memory where food pain is concerned! But at least now I really can’t wait to start. 

Good luck everyone! Let’s try and all get thru as a team. It’s so so much easier with support :)

Aarghhhhhhhhhh wrong button!!! No idea how that got there! 

Anyway.......@hope4overcomers - thanks for the ideas. Leftovers seem the breakfast way forward. I’ve made some almond butter but really can’t be left alone with it so wouldn’t trust myself within 50 yards with some dried apple ring! And I’m in the uk but keep hearing about Trader Joes. Sounds great! Is there nothing they don’t sell? Thanks for encouraging us all on. Particularly about cooking (again). 

@kenzington15 yeah to a fellow fan! Daughter was talking about the new film but I’m really not a sci fit fan - just watched G of the G as it was my sons bday but from the first totally unexpected song/dance I was hooked. The sequels v good too. 

With you on the coffee. I quite like a bullet proof if I’m hungry but really......it’s no latte. Went to a cafe today and had a (snort) fruit tea. Sigh. But thought at the time, there’s enjoyment in no guilt and in staying compliant (if not in fruit tea!!) and the joy of a drink is v short lived. And when the NSVs start coming in we’ll be very glad. For what it’s worth I’ve found chai tea is not at all bad with almond milk, better than regular tea.  

Your curry sounds lovely - from the book? And does pumpkin soup fill you up enough?

Hope all doing well today 

@kenzington15 yeah to a fellow fan! Daughter was talking about the new film but I’m really not a sci fit fan - just watched G of the G as it was my sons bday but from the first totally unexpected song/dance I was hooked. The sequels v good too. 

With you on the coffee. I quite like a bullet proof if I’m hungry but really......it’s no latte. Went to a cafe today and had a (snort) fruit tea. Sigh. But thought at the time, there’s enjoyment in no guilt and in staying compliant (if not in fruit tea!!) and the joy of a drink is v short lived. And when the NSVs start coming in we’ll be very glad. For what it’s worth I’ve found chai tea is not at all bad with almond milk, better than regular tea.  

Your curry sounds lovely - from the book? And does pumpkin soup fill you up enough?

thanks.  Avengers Infinity war, the crew from G of G will be in it, plus all the other avengers (but Gof G are my favorite).

Curry recipe i cut out from Real Simple magazine i think. it's compliant (minus potatoes, which i think i will skip and just serve w/ zoodles).  I'll post the recipe if it turns out.

-Jenn

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, kenzington15 said:

thanks.  Avengers Infinity war, the crew from G of G will be in it, plus all the other avengers (but Gof G are my favorite).

Curry recipe i cut out from Real Simple magazine i think. it's compliant (minus potatoes, which i think i will skip and just serve w/ zoodles).  I'll post the recipe if it turns out.

-Jenn

Potatoes are compliant. 

On 4/24/2018 at 12:17 PM, britgirl said:

Hi Jenny

Congrats day 3!!

Ive had headaches too!!

2 hours ago, kenzington15 said:

Day3, feeling ok here.  plain coffee with nothing in it does suck tho, i'm not gonna lie.   Last time i did whole 3, i lined up 5-6 cups of tea and coffee and tried with coconut milk, almond milk, whatever else is acceptable on W30 and they all were still horrible (to me at least).  So just gonna go with nothing in it.    Had a headache day1 and day 2 but feeling ok today-- likely coming off too much coffee (with milk and sugar!) before starting the program. 

For meal prep, i roasted a bunch of chicken Sunday and have been having it with salad for lunch and butternut soup for dinner.  That runs out tonight so thinking to make slow cooker curry/coconut chicken tomorrow. new recipe, will see how it goes but that will last me thru to the weekend I think.     

Hardest part for me is no snacking in front of the TV, but i've gone to bed early few nights and just eliminate the TV so no cravings whilst in front of the tv!  problem solved. boom!

Have a great day everyone!

Hi, I usually have black coffee with coconut sugar. I cannot bear to drink it straight so I have given it up all together!

Aarghhhhhhhhhh wrong button!!! No idea how that got there! 

[email protected] - thanks for the ideas. Leftovers seem the breakfast way forward. I’ve made some almond butter but really can’t be left alone with it so wouldn’t trust myself within 50 yards with some dried apple ring! And I’m in the uk but keep hearing about Trader Joes. Sounds great! Is there nothing they don’t sell? Thanks for encouraging us all on. Particularly about cooking (again). 

Hi Jenny

Dargeerling taste fine without milk.

27 minutes ago, rusrach said:

Pretty good, although dang I really want some sugar. LOL.

Me too...I get through it by chopping up an apple into small pieces, sprinkle them with cinnamon and put a dollop of almond butter on top!

Its done the trick the last two days!

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Homesoil said:

Me too...I get through it by chopping up an apple into small pieces, sprinkle them with cinnamon and put a dollop of almond butter on top!

Its done the trick the last two days!

Hey @Homesoil - if you want to be free of sugar cravings by the time your Whole30 is over - if that's a goal for you - this is not the way there, unfortunately. Even just by eating this fruit/nut butter combo when your brain is throwing a sugar tantrum, you're ultimately giving it what it wants. The only way to really kill off those cravings is to starve them. Don't give sweets-cravings any sweets whatsoever. If you have to eat because the craving feels intense and you can't distract yourself, go for something fatty/briney. Not nuts, those can be sweet enough. Olives are a good choice, avocado, a chicken thigh dipped in guac or mayo. 

Sadly, if you give your sugar-brain sweets, when Day 31 comes, it'll still be screaming "sweeeeeeets" every time it wants something. Kill it with fire. :) 

17 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hey @Homesoil - if you want to be free of sugar cravings by the time your Whole30 is over - if that's a goal for you - this is not the way there, unfortunately. Even just by eating this fruit/nut butter combo when your brain is throwing a sugar tantrum, you're ultimately giving it what it wants. The only way to really kill off those cravings is to starve them. Don't give sweets-cravings any sweets whatsoever. If you have to eat because the craving feels intense and you can't distract yourself, go for something fatty/briney. Not nuts, those can be sweet enough. Olives are a good choice, avocado, a chicken thigh dipped in guac or mayo. 

Sadly, if you give your sugar-brain sweets, when Day 31 comes, it'll still be screaming "sweeeeeeets" every time it wants something. Kill it with fire. :) 

Hi,

I appreciate what you are saying and why but this week I am  not giving myself a hard time. I am doing this to keep me on the plan. I shall probably modify as I go along. Right now it is the right thing for me personally.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Homesoil said:

Hi,

I appreciate what you are saying and why but this week I am  not giving myself a hard time. I am doing this to keep me on the plan. I shall probably modify as I go along. Right now it is the right thing for me personally.

Okeedokee, that's fair! We like to make sure that people have both the rules and recommendations and then, of course, you're free to do what feels right for you. :) 

Q @ladyshanny.....

I had apple with almond butter after roast chicken dinner ( not done enough veg - they shrank in the oven! ) so still hungry but not particularly craving sugar. Is that still best avoided? Had with almond butter so not just high carb. (And I’m a little in love with almond butter if I’m brutally honest so a bit too treaty? ) 

so is fruit best avoided if you have an angry dragon? 

And I remember reading somewhere about not having nuts everyday or limiting them a bit. Did I dream that??

thanks for help mods

Archived