Vanessa’s whole30 log

Vanessa_

Day 28 (5/19)

1: eggs/tomato/spinach, coconut/strawberry/banana bake

post-workout: carrots and mixed nuts

2: big spinach salad with tomatoes, sweet potato, blueberries, mango, sliced almonds, baby carrots and juice of half an orange with a cup of English breakfast tea with coconut milk

snack: (was out around dinner) larabar, Rxbar

3: eggs/tomato/spinach, half a sweet potato, apple with almond butter and raisins 

Day 29 (5/20):

1: eggs/tomato/spinach, grapes

post-work out: beef stick, piece of pumpkin/banana/apple/pecan bake

2: mixed fruit with egg/sweet potato/chicken/broccoli bake

snack: Rxbar

3: steak, roasted broccoli and a spinach salad with blueberries, strawberries, avocado, pineapple with juice of half an orange as dressing 

snack: Rxbar and cup of English breakfast tea with coconut milk 

Busy day today with body pump this morning and then yard work pretty much the rest of the day. My lower back tightened up again. I think I aggravated it at boot camp yesterday. It didn’t bother me while at body pump - I think it’s just certain motions. It feels better to keep moving - it’s the worst in the morning after laying still all night. 

I’m thinking about reintroduction (guess I should considering tomorrow is day 30!!) Right now I’m thinking:

Day 31 (Tues): wine (going to my friend’s house for our weekly “play date” and we normally have a glass. She’s been drinking alone for a month...

Day 34 (Fri): legumes (I’m thinking peanuts in the morning, edamame with lunch and garbanzo beans with dinner)

Day 37 (Mon): non-gluten grains (maybe some corn chips, corn and arborio rice)

Day 40 (Thurs): dairy (definitely pure whey protein powder, Greek yogurt and ice cream)

Day 43 (Sun): gluten. I actually quit eating most gluten grains a few years ago but I do occasionally have a wheat sandwich thin so I think I’ll focus on that. Maybe an egg sandwich for breakfast, wheat crackers with lunch and then maybe a burger with a wheat bun for dinner. 

Day 30 (5/21)

pre-work out: egg, coconut 

post-work out: beef stick

1: spinach salad w/ strawberries and pineapple, pumpkin/apple/banana bake

snack: still hungry... mint tea, almond butter, rxbar

2: spinach salad w/ strawberries, pineapple and blueberries with orange juice as a dressing, sweet potato/chicken/egg bake, raisins 

3: pork chop, cauliflower mash, mixed fruit, applesauce 

snack: English breakfast tea with coconut milk and an apple w/ almond butter 

Looking forward to edamame tomorrow!

Day 31 (5/22) - legumes

pre-work out: peanuts, shredded coconut

1: 3 fried eggs, banana, pumpkin/apple/banana bake

snack: larabar, English breakfast tea with coconut milk

2: egg/chicken/sweet potato bake, roasted broccoli and steamed edamame 

snack: dried mango

3: mixed fruit, salmon/garbanzo beans/capers/tomatoes and roasted broccoli 

snack: apple w/ peanut butter 

Legumes today seemed to go well. I seemed slightly more gassy than normal this afternoon/evening but nothing crazy. My workout was awesome this morning.

I weighed myself today and I only lost two pounds over the past month.  I’m not surprised and I’m not upset. My goals were more energy, working out more, feeling better, healing my gut and breaking the sugar addiction. I know I wasn’t cutting calories - I’m aiming for a lifestyle change. I do have more energy, went from exercising 3 days/week to 6 days, my shape is changing, I cut my ties with sugar, learned a new and healthier style of food prep/cooking. I cut down on my snacking but didn’t eliminate it. My digestion has improved but is definitely far from “healed.”

Day 31 (5/25) - non-gluten grains:

1: 4 fried eggs, cantaloupe and rice Chex with coconut milk

snack: corn chips

2: some salami with a sweet potato and a a salad w/ cherry tomatoes, strawberries, pecans, juice from a half an orange and blackberries

snack: coconut rolled dates, handful of rice Chex 

3: scallops with a cranberry/squash risotto with mixed fruit and roasted broccoli 

snack: corn chips with salsa

The grains have definitely caused some bloating - but no gas or other digestive issues. I feel fine other than a puffy belly. 

Day 35 (5/26) 

1: sweet potato, raisin, apple, egg bake w/ mixed fruit

snack: larabar

2: sweet potato, raisin, apple, egg bake, roasted broccoli and mixed fruit

snack: dried mango

3: grilled chicken, salad

post-dinner: English breakfast tea with coconut milk

The only after-effects of the grains were 1) the first solid poop I’ve had in months (tmi, sorry) and 2) a severe case of wanting to snack. I think I’m craving that super-full feeling. 

Day 36 (5/27)

1: peach, nectarine with 2 fried eggs and sweet potato, raisin, apple, egg bake

2: eggs with spinach, tomato, salsa and guacamole with mixed fruit

Beach snack: banana and larabar

3: salmon, sautéed spinach with onions, side salad, no dressing 

post-work out snack: apple with almond butter 

Still “snacky” today but better than yesterday. I think this weekends beach trip is affecting the snacking. I had more energy today than yesterday. I even went for a run after dinner. I’m looking forward to dairy tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I know what’s going to happen but I love ice cream, I really miss it (the most of anything I haven’t been eating) and I’m at the beach so it’s happening.

Day 37 (5/28)

1: sweet potato, raisin, apple, egg bake, watermelon and 2 fried eggs and a few bites of cheese

snack: larabar

2: sweet potato, cherries and a Greek yogurt w/ a few chocolate chips

snack: English breakfast tea with regular milk and a date

3: roasted sweet potatoes, onion and red pepper with eggs and beef sausage

dessert: ice cream

I found that the cheese really wasn’t that exciting- something I can definitely live without. Even the Greek yogurt and the milk in my tea weren’t anything to write home about. The ice cream was definitely enjoyable, but I’ve had gas for the last 3 hours as a result so I’m not sure I’d say it was worth it. I also think I prefer the coconut milk in my tea rather than milk - it’s thicker/richer.

I realized that I started to get a few pimples over the past few days - it seemed to line up with the non-gluten grains. 

Day 38 (5/29)

1: sweet potato, red peppers and onion, mixed fruit and sweet potato, raisin, apple bake and a latte (off plan today, I was driving my kids 6 hours and wanted the caffeine)

snack: meat stick

2: traveling 3 hard boiled eggs, fruit, cashews and raisins, peppermint patty

pre-workout: fruit/green larabar

3: 4 eggs w/ tomato, spinach and grapes and coconut 

snack: English breakfast tea with coconut milk and two goji berries, chia seed bites

off plan today with the latte and peppermint patty. I don’t think it will affect reintroduction since it was pretty clear how yesterday’s dairy affected me. Good news was both the latte and the patty weren’t nearly as amazing as I thought they’d be. (I haven’t had a coffe since before whole 30).

Archived