Gearing up to start May 1st!

lauralees84

Gearing up to start on May 1st! This will be my 3rd Whole 30. I did my first in 2014 and felt fantastic, tiger blood, skin issues resolved, mood through the roof. The knowledge and habits picked up stayed with me until 2016 when an injury that left me inactive and an ill advised move of cities plunged me into a depression and my old unhealthy relationship with food resurfaced. That's why in January of this year I did my 2nd Whole30. Coming from a very different place of health the experience was more difficult than my first and the results were less obvious. During this 2nd run I used the Whole30 Day by Day book and this was soooo handy for keeping me on track but also for looking back and seeing that although I *didn't* experience tiger blood in the way that I had the first time I did see improvements in my energy, sleep and mood. The biggest non scale victories I saw were my resting heart rate dropping by 10bpm and my usually  horrendous hormone induced anxiety completely disappearing. Keeping a log also allowed me to look back and see the ways I might improve the next Whole30 I did. I didn't fully address my issues with sugar and comfort eating and this is why I am doing another Whole30 now. My plan is to carry on with logging my journey day by day but with extra time spent on looking at how food motivates me. I'm also going to be waaay more adventurous in my meal prep. I found it very easy to slip into making the same meals over and over which just did not inspire me to keep going!

Any other folks starting on the 1st and looking for a buddy then please get in touch! :)

You got this!  I'm starting on May 1st too.  It's my first Whole30 and even though I've read It Starts with Food and I'm halfway through Food Freedom Forever, I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm glad to hear that Whole30 Day by Day helped you.  I was thinking about getting it and now I think I will get it.  Luckily, I talked my husband into doing this with me, and I voluntold my son that he was doing it with me.  I'm not sure how much of a positive influence they will be since they aren't doing it 100% of their own free will. 

I would love to be your buddy in this journey!

On 23/04/2018 at 3:06 PM, rusrach said:

I'm on Day 2. I don't have anyone IRL doing this with me so I got the Day by Day book, hoping it would help me stay on track and encouraged. Good to know it helped you!

Rachel

It definitely helped because it forced me to sit down and really think about how I was feeling and notice changes I maybe wouldn't have noticed! I also found the fact that I was writing in a book I had paid for made me a bit more resolved to follow through!

On 23/04/2018 at 4:25 PM, cassiemarie10 said:

You got this!  I'm starting on May 1st too.  It's my first Whole30 and even though I've read It Starts with Food and I'm halfway through Food Freedom Forever, I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm glad to hear that Whole30 Day by Day helped you.  I was thinking about getting it and now I think I will get it.  Luckily, I talked my husband into doing this with me, and I voluntold my son that he was doing it with me.  I'm not sure how much of a positive influence they will be since they aren't doing it 100% of their own free will. 

I would love to be your buddy in this journey!

It's so much easier with someone doing it with you in real life! My other half has refused point blank, he tried the last time I did it but was face deep in a tub of Haribo by day 3!! I made him promise to indulge in sweet treats out of my sight and that helped a bit! The community here is pretty good for support if your family fall by the wayside :) How have you found Food Freedom Forever? I've been thinking if getting it but not sure if it just covers the same ground as ISWF? 

Hi @lauralees84 and all!!!

I'd love to join you on this journey. This will also be my third round thru a W30. My first one was similar to yours -- just joy! I tend to turn to food as comfort when I am stressed instead of dealing with it head on. That said, I know that a W30 will not necessarily fix that but it will at least make me less inclined to use food as my 'friend'. It'll be a process. I realize this takes time to change long-standing habits. I'm up for the challenge and I know it's a worthy goal for me.

I was going to start yesterday 0428 but I realize I'm not prepared and that results in failure! So, today will be my day to meal prep and do groceries for this coming week's worth of meals. I'm also looking to be a bit more creative at preparing meals that will be satisfying. I feel like breakfast will be my biggest challenge as I tend to have a smoothie right now for breakfast with chocolate protein powder, avocado, and almond milk. That will need to change! I'm open to breakfast ideas!!! :)

I'm open to making new friends here. I am happy to support others as I know the journey can be a challenge, and we all need a solid back up when we are feeling vulnerable or want to give up!!!

Let's do this!!

xx

I'm starting my first Whole 30 May 1st!! I'm excited and nervous, but mostly excited! I've been preparing for 2 months so I'm hoping it goes smoothly! My concerns are when I'm out, I'm a stay at home mom so most of my meals will be at home. But I'll be visiting family the first 2 weekends of May and I will have to pack all my food. It's been a little challenging trying to come up with some ideas for meals that don't need to be heated, since I won't have access to a kitchen while at a birthday party at a lake, that will only be one meal though. I'm trying to come up with something! 

Since im doing this alone, no one else in my house is doing it with me, I could use any extra support! 

I want to team up with you as well.

I actually completed a Whole30 less than a year ago and was successful. I fell off the routine and even though I am still dairy, sugar and wheat free, I regained the 15 pounds I lost.  I think it might be too much fruit and eating too close to bedtime.  

I have never joined a support group and would like to participate. 

Pam

Hi everyone  I actually started April 28 but hope it's ok to tag along here to learn heaps and get the support.  I've done a full whole30 a long time ago and have several attempts since then but didn't finish - no excuses really right?  (sigh!)  This time I'm geared up to complete it all the way..30 days plus reintroduction!   I need to do it for my health, my energy levels and my sanity as I feel food is controlling my life atm - sugar, junk food and emotional eating.  Hubby is not joining me and seems to have no issue with any food on the planet and still remains fit as -which is not cool.   Aside from all that I  remain determined and excited about seeing the changes unfold...  

Hi Everyone!

I have been so apprehensive about starting this. I had read Whole30 a few months ago and have kept making excuses on a start date. Today was feeling like I hit a wall and said: "I've had enough! Time to take my health back into my own hands." I also just listened to Melissa on Jen Hatmaker's podcast she did awhile back and was extremely inspired. I am a super picky eater and love to snack. I have issues with fatigue, chronic pain, inflammation. So I am literally praying that, with God's help, I will do this and find success . :)

I am optimistic. Here is to all the newbies out there! Looking forward to connecting with others to motivate, cheer each other on and share good/not so good. I appreciate all the downloads and info. 

Take care and much love,:wub:

Laura

On 4/29/2018 at 4:11 AM, lauralees84 said:

Oh my goodness my hormones are my biggest problem would be fab to have someone to message about how this process affects things! I'm hoping to see some more improvements after my last round :)

i would love to do this with you!

Hey everyone, 

I started yesterday and ran into my first couple of problems:

• Poor meal prepping: I kind of just thought whatever I bought over the weekend in preparation for this week was enough. I now know that I actually need to prep everything beforehand and be very thorough about explicitly listing my meals. Hopefully this will become second nature in the future.
  • Snacks/Sweets: So I am not much of a snacker, but having just started this challenge, ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS FOOD. Luckily, I came across some blogs talking about Laura Bars (a gift from the angels) and some other easy snacks that are Whole 30 approved. As far as sweets, I am beginning to realize that fruits will be my go to when I'm craving something sweet (I am not a huge fruit eater so this is also a little new for me). 
  • Sausage/Meats: In addition to meal prepping, I did not really think about reading the labels before buying sausage. In my head, I was kind of just like "Oooh protein!" and dumped it in the cart. Luckily, this realization hit me before I cooked the sausage for dinner last night which led to an impromptu grocery store run to find whole30 approved sausage. All that to say, I didn't realize how important ingredient labels could be. 

It's only day 2 (for me) and this has definitely been a learning process. But I am glad to have a support system around me (both online and at home) so that's why I thought I would share. Anyone else face similar challenges or find some good food brands? Would love to hear! 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, mgarnett17 said:

Snacks/Sweets: So I am not much of a snacker, but having just started this challenge, ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS FOOD. Luckily, I came across some blogs talking about Laura Bars (a gift from the angels) and some other easy snacks that are Whole 30 approved. As far as sweets, I am beginning to realize that fruits will be my go to when I'm craving something sweet (I am not a huge fruit eater so this is also a little new for me). 

Be really careful with the Larabars -- they're really for emergencies, like if you can't find anything else compliant and you're about ready to start gnawing on your own arm. They're as close to candy bars as you can get on Whole30. As far as sweet cravings, if you have something sweet (even fruit) when you crave something sweet, you'll just keep craving sweets. When you have these cravings, first determine if you're actually hungry -- would you eat something bland, like plain steamed fish and broccoli? If you would, you're hungry, go fix yourself some combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. If you wouldn't eat something bland, but you'd kill for something sweet/salty/crunchy/snacky -- you're probably not really hungry, you're craving something. Do something to distract yourself. Go for a walk, paint your nails, organize your junk drawer, meditate, journal about what you're feeling that's making you want to eat, call a friend, take a bath, work on a hobby, or even just go to bed early.

And yes, labels are super, super important -- I had to restart a Whole30 once because I found out some tea I drank had soy in it. Read the labels on everything. Even if you've bought a particular brand of something before, read the label again to be sure it didn't change, or that you didn't pick up a different variety. Don't trust when other people tell you something is okay, either, because manufacturers can use different recipes in different parts of the country, so a brand that's compliant where one person is, may not be on the other side of the country.

(And if you don't like meal prepping, take a look at this and see if it sounds more like something that would work for you: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/  

Archived