Loss, but not in inches :( How to cope?

So this morning if found out that best furry friend passed in her sleep. She lived a beautiful 22 years and has been my companion since grade school. 

I’m battling sugar/food addiction, depression, and type II diabetes. I’m on day 8 of my Whole30 and have been doing really well! My glucose levels have been amazing before and after meals. Even in moments of weakness I turn to a clementine instead of a cosmic brownie. 

But this just seems unfair. Food has been a comfort and companion for me as well. I don’t think there has been a rough patch in my life that hasn’t included lots of chocolate. 

How do I keep from going off the rails? I’ve done okay since this morning but I’m worried the cravings will come.

Any advice would be appreciated.

9CA38E3A-0561-472D-B701-FC62D79936F7.jpeg

• Moderators

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry :(  She looked like an absolute doll and as a kittyparent myself, I feel your pain!  Chocolate and junk food won't bring her back and abusing your body by putting junk in it when you already feel terrible isn't going to help... When you get the cravings, try going for something briney/salty or savory not sweet - that only serves to prove to your brain that if it complains hard enough you'll eventually give in.  You're strong, you can get through this!

• Administrators

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that. Although it would be nice to have grief healed by a tray of brownies, that actually doesn't work and you likely know that. Unfortunately the only way through grief is..........through it. Feel the feelings, remember your love and the happy times and give yourself permission to feel like an emotional trash fire for a while. Just don't throw gasoline on that trash fire and turn it into an inferno. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  :( 

Archived