Whole chicken

CaseyD

I have two whole chickens in my freezer and all I ever cook is chicken breasts. What are some fabulous ways you like to cook a whole chicken? I'm willing to cut it up or cook them whole, I just want to make the best of it!

My favorite way to cook a whole chicken is to put bacon grease underneath the skin and season with salt, pepper and some rosemary. Then I let it cook at 350 degrees until the thermometer comes out with the right temperature. The bacon grease makes the meat extremely tender and adds a ton of flavor. I usually take the juice from the chicken and mix it with 2 teaspoons of coconut flour to make gravy, so good.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite way to cook a whole chicken is to put bacon grease underneath the skin and season with salt, pepper and some rosemary. Then I let it cook at 350 degrees until the thermometer comes out with the right temperature. The bacon grease makes the meat extremely tender and adds a ton of flavor. I usually take the juice from the chicken and mix it with 2 teaspoons of coconut flour to make gravy, so good.

I did this last week and it was great, I hate putting my hand under the skin though - yuck!

Oh, oh, I LOVE roast chicken. IMO, the greatest roast chicken recipe OF ALL TIME is Ina Garten's -- Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-and-garlic-roast-chicken-recipe/index.html

You have to tweak it just a tad to make it compliant (use ghee instead of butter, nitrite free sugar free pastured bacon, and use apple juice or chicken stock in place of the wine for the gravy), but OMG is it tasty. You massage melted ghee into the bird and wrap him snuggly in a 1/2 lb of bacon, then let him roast stuffed with whole lemons and garlic, with additional lemons and garlic in the pan. Bonus -- the roasted garlic tastes AMAZING mixed into mashed cauliflower. The gravy is good, but you don't need it -- the bird stays incredibly moist. So good.

Learn how to properly spatchcock a chicken, and you will be rewarded many times over with great food that was easy to make and could be seasoned various different ways. Demo of spatchcocking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKLtbiUflk I leave my 2 halves together.

Keep the backs and throw them in a stock pot of water with a mirepoix of celery, carrot, and onions. Throw in some Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Let that simmer for a couple of hours, and you've now got homemade chicken stock.

Archived