Has anyone decided NOT to weigh themselves after the Whole 30?

Cjcheck

Has anyone decided NOT to weigh themselves after the Whole 30?  If so, how did that work out for you? 

I am on day 24 of the whole 30 and am feeling great. ( I don't want it to end.   Worried I might screw up this new healthy me on day 31..)

I feel lots slimmer and was looking forward to weighing myself on day 31.   But now I am feeling like not weighing myself at all and freeing myself from the invisible tether to my scale. I don't want to evaluate my self worth anymore by a number on a scale.  

• Moderators

I think not weighing yourself is a great choice. I get weighed at the doctor's office and they tell me what I weigh, but my personal scale has been up on a shelf in my closet for a couple of years now gathering dust. I have weight to lose, and I know that, but I don't really need to know the exact number of pounds I weigh, or how many I still need to lose, to know if I'm on the right track or not.

I know when I'm feeling good, physically -- not bloated, gassy, or with aches and pains. I know when I'm feeling good emotionally -- steady moods, motivation to clean the house or work on projects, desire to hang out with friends. I know when I'm feeling in control of food, versus when I feel like it's controlling me. I know whether my clothes are fitting tight or loose, whether my feet are swollen at the end of a work day or not, if my skin is clear or breaking out. All of these things are much more concrete for me than a number on a scale, and I'm much more likely to be motivated to make changes when I don't feel good, or my clothes are all too tight, or if I've suddenly got as many zits as I had back in high school, as opposed to some number that doesn't really mean anything to me other than maybe if I hit it my doctor will quit lecturing me about my weight every time I see her. 

As for worrying that you'll screw up on day 31 -- first, make a plan, so you don't. Here are some tips for what to do on day 31:  https://whole30.com/finished/. Second, know that at some point in your life, you will almost certainly find yourself falling back into bad habits (I hope you don't, but you'd be the exception, most people do) -- maybe something stressful happens, and you go back to emotional eating, or maybe a weekly glass of wine that seems not to bother you, over time morphs into a daily glass, or two, or more. These things happen, and it's not a sign of failure. It's a sign that you're human. It's an opportunity for you to look at what's going on in your life, and evaluate how you got to where you are, and what you need to do to get back to where you want to be. If you read through all the Dear Melissa blog posts, you'll find that she mentions that it took her multiple Whole30s to get to where she is now -- she didn't do one and then bam, she suddenly had her life figured out and never made any bad food choices ever again. Food Freedom is something you'll figure out over time. Some days you'll feel like you've got it all under control, and then other days, you'll wonder why you're sitting on the couch with an empty potato chip bag and don't remember eating any of them. It's okay, just keep doing the best you can.

My first Whole 30, a few years ago, cured me of a daily weighing obsession. I got to day 31, looking and feeling amazing, got on the scales - and the weight hadn't changed at all! So I threw the stupid things out! I haven't owned scales since, and have only a general ball park idea of what I weigh (got weighed at the doctor in December, fully dressed with shoes on, so it wasn't terribly accurate I'm sure! They also measured me a centimetre taller than I really am :) ) - and you know what, that number is so much higher than I ever would have accepted in the past! And yet my jeans are smaller. So eff you, scales, what do you know!

11 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I think not weighing yourself is a great choice. I get weighed at the doctor's office and they tell me what I weigh, but my personal scale has been up on a shelf in my closet for a couple of years now gathering dust. I have weight to lose, and I know that, but I don't really need to know the exact number of pounds I weigh, or how many I still need to lose, to know if I'm on the right track or not.

I know when I'm feeling good, physically -- not bloated, gassy, or with aches and pains. I know when I'm feeling good emotionally -- steady moods, motivation to clean the house or work on projects, desire to hang out with friends. I know when I'm feeling in control of food, versus when I feel like it's controlling me. I know whether my clothes are fitting tight or loose, whether my feet are swollen at the end of a work day or not, if my skin is clear or breaking out. All of these things are much more concrete for me than a number on a scale, and I'm much more likely to be motivated to make changes when I don't feel good, or my clothes are all too tight, or if I've suddenly got as many zits as I had back in high school, as opposed to some number that doesn't really mean anything to me other than maybe if I hit it my doctor will quit lecturing me about my weight every time I see her. 

As for worrying that you'll screw up on day 31 -- first, make a plan, so you don't. Here are some tips for what to do on day 31:  https://whole30.com/finished/. Second, know that at some point in your life, you will almost certainly find yourself falling back into bad habits (I hope you don't, but you'd be the exception, most people do) -- maybe something stressful happens, and you go back to emotional eating, or maybe a weekly glass of wine that seems not to bother you, over time morphs into a daily glass, or two, or more. These things happen, and it's not a sign of failure. It's a sign that you're human. It's an opportunity for you to look at what's going on in your life, and evaluate how you got to where you are, and what you need to do to get back to where you want to be. If you read through all the Dear Melissa blog posts, you'll find that she mentions that it took her multiple Whole30s to get to where she is now -- she didn't do one and then bam, she suddenly had her life figured out and never made any bad food choices ever again. Food Freedom is something you'll figure out over time. Some days you'll feel like you've got it all under control, and then other days, you'll wonder why you're sitting on the couch with an empty potato chip bag and don't remember eating any of them. It's okay, just keep doing the best you can.

Wow!  Thank you for taking the time to encourage me and give me such wisdom!  That is so helpful! 

5 hours ago, GoJo09 said:

My first Whole 30, a few years ago, cured me of a daily weighing obsession. I got to day 31, looking and feeling amazing, got on the scales - and the weight hadn't changed at all! So I threw the stupid things out! I haven't owned scales since, and have only a general ball park idea of what I weigh (got weighed at the doctor in December, fully dressed with shoes on, so it wasn't terribly accurate I'm sure! They also measured me a centimetre taller than I really am :) ) - and you know what, that number is so much higher than I ever would have accepted in the past! And yet my jeans are smaller. So eff you, scales, what do you know!

You have convinced me to not weigh myself.  I feel great and don't want a disappointing number to change that. I think I will go ahead and take the "after pics" and maybe the measurements... 

Archived