May 1st...1st Whole30!

Kshbennett

It’s May first, and I’ve just kicked off my first Whole30!  I’ve also done the thing I was most concerned about...I’ve had unsweetened coffee. I’ve been lactose intolerant for almost 30 years, so the no dairy part of the plan is no concern, but coffee that tastes like coffee?...that was a big hurdle, and I did it.  On to the next 29 mornings!

You sound just like me! Coffee without my French Vanilla non-dairy creamer was the scariest thing for me to give up because I've basically been surviving on that for a long time. I didn't think coconut milk agreed with me but it turns out it just took a day to get used to it and now I almost enjoy it. Lol I've done something similar to this program before, for 3 weeks, before I knew anything about Whole30. I gave up grains, dairy, legumes (also nightshades) & sugar... I did consume a spoon of coconut oil each day but there was a lot of things I didn't do correctly. I didn't search for hidden sugars. I thought all bacon was the same unless we were talking reduced sodium or nitrate-free. Now I know better. I also know I didn't eat enough good fats and carbs like potato, sweet potato, etc.. so by the end of the 3rd week I gave up because I was dizzy and my stomach burned with hunger more often than not. It's so nice to find this program and have a guide to what I've wanted to do for years - heal my autoimmune issues, my underactive thyroid, my chronic fatigue, skin issues, thinned out postpartum hair since my 3rd baby was born (almost 20 months ago, lol), and the list goes on. Excited to see improvement and determined not to quit! Best of luck with your Whole30!

Glad to know I’m not alone. I was shocked this morning to learn I was dependent not so much on coffee as on the creamer (or more like the artificial sweetener)! My favorite was Coffeemate sugar free Italian Sweet Cream, so I didn’t think switching to an unsweetened French vanilla NutPod creamer would be that different. An hour after the first cup I was still sluggish and midway through the morning I had a headache.  It was an “eye opener” to realize an artificial sweetener can have that effect. 

Anyway...like you I’m looking for relief from two autoimmune diseases, a thyroid issue (that may turn into a third autoimmune disorder), skin issues and joint pain. I’m just tired of going from one doctor to another. I’m ready to take control!

Thanks for the tip about carbs. I’m definitely going to take in some potatoes tomorrow. 

Good luck to you!

Hello there! I go a day later...But I go. I'm curious, excited and a litte afraid. I eat no gluten, super occasionally diary or sugar (only cravings during pre-period....ahhhhhh, yes I have those) so take away grains and legumes it's going to be the hardest...I practice crossfit so I'm a litte concern about getting enough carbs. I will take a look at the athetes forum. See you !!!!and let's go!!!!

Also new and also just started today. And also a major coffee and cream lover. I successfully drank only 1 cup of black coffee today and didn’t die. I’m stoked and feeling optimistic. We got this 

Archived