Day 6...logging, looking for insight...

SusanQ22

Alright, I'm 6 days in... I KNOW I was short on calories today but we were shopping after church my choices were non compliant food or no food... I stuck to my guns and went with no food... Typical days I'm wondering if I am I doing too much fruit? I'm learning how to cook W30 food..so....give me some easy ideas!

B-cantaloupe

L-chipolte...carnitas, lettuce, pico,guac (thanks to someone else's thread!!)

D-chicken, BBQ sauce (from...Johnny's blog...I think)

I agree with Tom, you need protein for breakfast. Starting off the day with just fruit, especially one that's high in sugar like cantaloupe will make it hard on you eventually. I usually have fruit at breakfast too, but it's usually part of a bigger, protein rich meal.

As far as cooking Whole30, make it easy on yourself. Pick a meat (chicken breast, pork, ground beef, steak, fish...), cook it in a simple fashion, steam or grill (you can broil in the oven, if you want) some veggies, and have either half a baked sweet potato with coconut oil or some fruit, if you want. I'll give you an example of a typical dinner at my house:

Salmon cooked in the skillet with coconut oil and some spices - this takes 5 minutes

Kale chips (kale broken into pieces, covered in coconut oil, salt, flat on a baking sheet at 375 for 15 minutes)

steamed cauliflower (you can skip if you make enough kale to make it even easier)

and strawberries

Or, this is my typical lunch, since I'm at home during the day:

Hamburger patty (I use grass fed beef, but you can make some out of whatever clean ground beef you can buy), cooked like you would a normal hamburger. I make mine with onion powder and pepper.

A bed of lettuce (a variety of leafy greens is great, or just shred lettuce like you would for a salad)

salad veggies: tomato, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, cucumber,

put the meat on the salad, add avocado and/or some olive oil and you have a burger salad. The more veggies you make this with, the better it is.

Stuff like this is very fast, very tasty, and totally Whole30.

Thanks... I struggle to cook in the morning... :(

B-ground chicken just because I had too... not into an protein...ugh...), handful of raspberries, banana.

L-big salad (mixed greens, cucumber, basalmic), BBQ chicken, minneola orange

D-blackened tuna, squash, zucchini-should I throw some sweet potatoes in there? (at least that's the plan! it depends on my cooking abilities)

Guess I'll save the tuna for tomorrow... DH had a cheeseburger from cookout... so I just had some leftover chicken and a banana... I'm getting BORED WITH FOOD...think I'll make some Lara bars tomorrow... maybe that'll break the monotony...

Feeling better about food today... Even enjoyed my breakfast protein...

2 eggs fried in coconut oil

Taco seasoned ground chicken (have yet to find compliment sausage or bacon)

1/2 c. Raspberries

Water

L-salad(mixed greens, broccoli), chicken, 1 kiwi, 6 strawberries

D-finally cooked those tuna steaks...soooooooo good, blackened summer squash & zucchini

Snacks-banana, orange

This time last week (day2)I was exhausted and grumpy...today... I FEEL GREAT... Tons of energy and patience... My clothes fit, I don't feel bloated... My food choices are getting monotonous and boring (because of my schedule)... But the results are worth it... A student asked me today, "how's that whole 30 thing going... how many days left?" I honestly didn't know, I had to look at my countdown app...I feel like it is becoming my lifestyle...why would I not eat this way? We'll see if my tune changes in 20 more days, but as of now... that's how I feel!!

Hi Susan. Great job! I would like to suggest adding more vegetables into your meals... I'm on day 29 of my first whole30 and I made an effort to try and eat 1 serving of veggies with each meal. I would cut down the fruit consumption just a bit... maybe 1-2 servings max per day?

Ugh...but I don't wanna!!! I'm jonsing for a coke zero and PRETZLES!!!

:( more veggies...got it...is a heap of fresh tomato salsa enough to add to breakfast? I have salad, carrots, cucumbers, etc... At lunch and dinner...

Day 11...

I made cashew larabars last night...sooooooooo good!!! That will be my snack today...I will eat less fruit today, I've been relying way too heavily on fruit...

B-3 eggs and steak scrambled w/lots of fresh salsa (my attempt at morning veg...hahaha)

L-steak & salad

D-as of dinner time, I'm just not hungry...

Snacks-small homemade larabar, a banana, handful of fresh blueberries... Much less fruit than usual and I had a great 3 mile jog to top my day off...

As I read others logs and saw,"not hungry"... I honestly didn't think that day would ever come for me...but here I am! I find my preworkout snack to fill me up for the night...

Day 12

B- I almost LOVE steak, salsa, and eggs for breakfast!! I'm a former,"I don't eat that early"person!

L-salad, steak

D-egg muffins

Snacks- homemade larabar, cashews

Today was an eat eat eat day...wanted to eat all day long...not HUNGRY, just WANT TO EAT!!!

Goal for the weekend: learn to cook and like asparagus...great idea on the am spin inch, think I'll add some to my steak, eggs, salsa routine!!!

Goal for the weekend: learn to cook and like asparagus...great idea on the am spin inch, think I'll add some to my steak, eggs, salsa routine!!!

GREAT idea! Spinach is wonderful with eggs. I like to do a spinach/mushroom omelet.

SERIOUSLY...today (the last day of school) a student in my aerobics class (WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE WHOLE 30...we have discussed it as a class!!) brought me...brownies...not just any brownies... a layer of cookie dough, a double stuffed Oreo BAKED INTO A CHOCOLATE BROWNIE!!!!!!! Alas, I did not succumb to temptation, I ate my salad like a good girl...

SERIOUSLY...today (the last day of school) a student in my aerobics class (WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE WHOLE 30...we have discussed it as a class!!) brought me...brownies...not just any brownies... a layer of cookie dough, a double stuffed Oreo BAKED INTO A CHOCOLATE BROWNIE!!!!!!! Alas, I did not succumb to temptation, I ate my salad like a good girl...

O.M.G. Great job on staying strong and not giving in! Anytime someone or something tempts me with anything sugary- I say to myself, "sugar is the devil." IT works! Haha

Temptation upon temptation... Today is our 11 year anniversary...so we went down to the beach for dinner... My hubs first idea: CAPTAINS PLATTER...every seafood imaginable battered and fried...NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I talked him into 1 lb of steamed shrimp and a salad w/ oil & vinegar...another crisis averted!!! Still safe and sound...compliant for 13 days now!

WHAT A DAY!!!! I found Lara Bars!!! We took our seniors out to dinner at Smokey Bones and in the midst of TONS of temptation I stayed COMPLETLY compliant!!!! Ordered smoked turkey breast an steamed broccoli...the broccoli was a little sketchy (I asked for no butter, they promised it was just steamed...but I didn't eat it anyways) I happened to have an avacado in my purse (yup...don't you have an avacado in your purse!?!?) so I had turkey and avacado...it was delicious and I felt great after while everyone else had to unbutton their pants!!!! Now we have a reception after church, if I can survive that I will have...DAY 14 SUCCESS!!!!

IT'S HALFWAY DAY!!!!!!!! I am so excited to be on day 15... I feel like it's all downhill from here... and still feeling like, "why would I eat any other way?" Of course I have been facing MANY temptations and cravings but in the end I feel empowered when I overcome them...

Some observations:

Food creates social acceptance... we had a dinner for our graduating seniors last night (my husband is a pastor)... as soon as we got to the resturant (that I had already looked at the menu and knew what I was going to order) one of the pastors (not my hubby) orders appitizers for everyone: chicken fingers, pretzel bones, spring rolls, loaded cheese fries, potato skins... honestly... none of it was that appetizing to me... but I almost felt ostracized for not partaking. The same thing has happened at every graduation party so far... I don't eat the cake so something must be wrong or I'm not having fun... I have never drank alcohol... and in college I remember SOME pressure to drink but NEVER the pressure that I feel like peole are putting on me to eat... why do we do that? Why have we created a culture where food determines social acceptance?

Because of the banquets and parties I have been a part of I have had the opportunity to compare my diet to others... last night after our dinner we all got back on the bus... EVERYONE was sick and moaning, "i'm sooooo stuffed, i can't move"... why do we WANT to feel that way? Why do we eat ourselves to that condition? I felt great... I had a filling, satisfying meal and felt good for the rest of the night...

Cooking is not that hard... My excuse for living off of lean cuisine for the past 10 years has been, "I just don't have time to cook"... I have been doing all of my prep for the week on Monday nights and it takes less time throughout the week to prepare my meals than to prepare lean cuisine...

I'M A BREAKFAST PERSON... I have always said, "I'm just nto a breakfast person, it's too early to eat..." SHANNANIGANS!!!! I LOVE BREAKFAST... Egg muffins (eggs, peppers, ground turkey, onions, spinich) have CHANGED MY LIFE... I make a batch (8)of them on Monday and that's my breakfast all week... heat it for 1 min. add fresh salsa and avacado... it's quicker than a poptart and keeps me FULL until 1:00!!!!!

I really didn't think I'd see the energy increase... Days 1 & 2... I REALLY doubted it... I have WAY more energy and sleep soooooooo good... I wake up without my alarm clock...and I used to be a 3 snooze button type of person!!!!

so... there you have it... my 1/2 way observations!!!

Day 15

Breakfast - 2 egg muffins with salsa

Lunch - Lara bar, pistachios

Dinner - Tonight is cooking night... I have asparagus and plaintains to experiment with... also going to stirfry some chicken, peppers, and onions in coconut oil

Ended up having 2 egg muffins since I was cooking them for the week... Finally my breakfast includes protein and vegetables, I put lots of peppers and spinach in those suckers and they are DELICIOUS... My husband ate 2 and said,"there is NO WAY this is healthy, it's too good!!"

Not planning on snacking, hopefully I can stick to that!! (had a spoonful of almond butter...)

Something has been bothering my stomach ALL day... Thinking it has to be the Lara bar as it is the only new addition to my diet...no more of those for a while, and I was soooooooo excited to find them!! :/

Day 16 (the other side of halfway got here soooo fast!!!!)

B-2 eggs fried in coconut oil on a bed of spinach with ground turkey.

L-(not terribly hungry) a handful of blackberries and spoonful of almond butter

D-chicken tenderloins, asparagus, squash, zucchini

S-I didn't even bring any snacks to work today because I DON'T NEED 'EM!!!!

Archived